U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,393,390 times

Advertisements

"I don't know anyone who has received SS Disability for a mental condition (unless maybe they were bi-polar). Depression and anxiety will not get you disability."

Really? I know a half dozen people right in my little town, and those are just the ones I happen to know and who admit it. Please.

She claims not to know exactly other than "early SS," but I'll ask a retirement counselor when I have time to get an appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 AM

82 posts, read 50,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Nonetheless... All these interviews are just YOU SAYING YOU FEEL THIS WAY; there is no objective scientific test. Done with this back-and-forth since it actually has nothing to do with my original post... As far as I know so far, anyway!

You're talking about anxiety and depression. As I already said...it won't win you a disability case. If someone told you they got disability for those reasons, then they are not telling you the entire situation. Many people do not give out their actual diagnosis. I don't tell people why I got disability...mainly because it is no one's business. People can assume whatever they want. You might as well as give it up, because you obviously haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. You're just another "talking head" whining about how the Government wastes money on fraud.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,801,099 times
yes , depression qualify's .

Disability Listing for Depression

Social Security publishes a list of common, serious illnesses that qualify for disability if they meet the specified criteria. The purpose of the list is to grant disability quickly for severe impairments. Depression is covered in impairment listing 12.04, Affective Disorders. To qualify for either Social Security disability or SSI disability benefits on the basis of depression, you must show you have severe depression by having at least four of the following symptoms:
lack of interest or pleasure in most activities
decreased energy
poor appetite or overeating
insomnia or oversleeping
difficulty concentrating or thinking
lack of physical movement
feelings of worthlessness or guilt
paranoia, delusions, or hallucinations, or
suicidal thoughts.
In addition, Social Security requires that your symptoms of depression cause you serious difficulty in:
activities of daily living (ADLs)
social functioning
focusing, or
repeated, extended periods of worsening symptoms (episodes of decompensation).

Social Security Disability and SSI For Depression | Disability Secrets

Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
"I don't know anyone who has received SS Disability for a mental condition (unless maybe they were bi-polar). Depression and anxiety will not get you disability."

Really? I know a half dozen people right in my little town, and those are just the ones I happen to know and who admit it. Please...

She claims not to know exactly other than "early SS," but I'll ask a retirement counselor when I have time to make an appointment.

Like I said, people are not required to give out their diagnosis. People sometimes tell part of the story or even make up a story...but they do not give out the real reason in this type of situation. It is personal, no one else's business, and their privacy is protected by HIPPA.

And...I'm sure you do not know a half a dozen people who have been approved for SS Disability with depression and anxiety. They would not admit it if that is all there was to it. Oh, please............!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , depression qualify's .

Disability Listing for Depression

Social Security publishes a list of common, serious illnesses that qualify for disability if they meet the specified criteria. The purpose of the list is to grant disability quickly for severe impairments. Depression is covered in impairment listing 12.04, Affective Disorders. To qualify for either Social Security disability or SSI disability benefits on the basis of depression, you must show you have severe depression by having at least four of the following symptoms:
lack of interest or pleasure in most activities
decreased energy
poor appetite or overeating
insomnia or oversleeping
difficulty concentrating or thinking
lack of physical movement
feelings of worthlessness or guilt
paranoia, delusions, or hallucinations, or
suicidal thoughts.
In addition, Social Security requires that your symptoms of depression cause you serious difficulty in:
activities of daily living (ADLs)
social functioning
focusing, or
repeated, extended periods of worsening symptoms (episodes of decompensation).

Social Security Disability and SSI For Depression | Disability Secrets
Bi-polar depression...yes, but regular depression that everyone experiences a little of...no.

Guess what? I'm on SS Disability, and I have a life besides sitting on the computer....so I'll get on with my life today while the rest of you whine and complain about why I'm on SS Disability.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,801,099 times
i will take my life as is with nooooooooo disability . i rather have no reason to qualify .

Old 02-23-2017, 08:43 AM

"Guess what? I'm on SS Disability, and I have a life besides sitting on the computer....so I'll get on with my life today while the rest of you whine and complain about why I'm on SS Disability."

Somehow I'm not surprised. It sounds like you're able to manage your activities of daily living if you "have a life" (I'm actually posting at work), so... Carry on!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:

Really? I know a half dozen people right in my little town, and those are just the ones I happen to know and who admit it. Please.

She claims not to know exactly other than "early SS," but I'll ask a retirement counselor when I have time to get an appointment.
You do have to have documented treatment for these disorders.

I was taking a constitutional law class a few years ago and our instructor's daytime job was Social Security judge. He decided who got what. He told us he went by the doctor's diagnosis and records of the applicant. Didn't make it sound like you just went and said I feel XYZ - and you get it.

I am on VA disability and was shocked at what I received. I just did my paperwork, turned it in, went to several examinations and couple months later, received my notice. I was told it was an easier process than SS claim. But then I did have medical records spanning over 20 years.

After that I did my own investigating and looked up the doctor's rating sheets and exam requirements. I was able to help my BIL get his 100% rating. In a way I guess it is also in how you document things.

They tell me to re-do mine, but I am okay with what I get.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Disability really isn't the topic of this thread (for the third time). I simply asked if there was some "plain old retirement" option for drawing social security before age 62, and I've been told that there isn't. If I learn more, I'll post it. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:
Disability really isn't the topic of this thread (for the third time). I simply asked if there was some "plain old retirement" option for drawing social security before age 62, and I've been told that there isn't. If I learn more, I'll post it. Thanks!
yes - please let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or