Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ssdi was never meant to be a welfare program for those who can't find jobs .

this is not the thread to discuss sddi so i will leave it at that
Exactly; anyone is welcome to start another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

About 9 months ago, I made the mistake of trying to go to a Social Security office in a high poverty rate urban city to deal with something for my mother. The waiting area was jammed with 30-somethings and 40-somethings. There wasn't one person there who looked anything close to age 62. Everybody was trying to "get disability". I dug into it and it turns out it's pretty easy. The way the law works, they're required to take how you say you "feel" into account rather than just relying on a professional medical diagnosis. The two biggies for faking it are back pain and depression. You work your 10 years/40 quarters, go to the doctor about back pain issues for a year to create the paper trail, and then file for SSDI. After that, you work under the table. I'm always amazed at how huge the cash economy is.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khloe View Post

Tell your friend that she needs to publish a book on how to receive SS early...and what is the secret to receiving a three-fold increase in disability pension! I think your friend might have personal problems that she is not telling you about.
Yes and it has nothing to do with SS. She's a 'few sandwichs short of a picnic.'

Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
About 9 months ago, I made the mistake of trying to go to a Social Security office in a high poverty rate urban city to deal with something for my mother. The waiting area was jammed with 30-somethings and 40-somethings. There wasn't one person there who looked anything close to age 62. Everybody was trying to "get disability". I dug into it and it turns out it's pretty easy. The way the law works, they're required to take how you say you "feel" into account rather than just relying on a professional medical diagnosis. The two biggies for faking it are back pain and depression. You work your 10 years/40 quarters, go to the doctor about back pain issues for a year to create the paper trail, and then file for SSDI. After that, you work under the table. I'm always amazed at how huge the cash economy is.
Thank you, even though the thread isn't about this. And along with "disability" (the monthly check), you also get Medicaid (free health care) and help with everything from rent to utilities to food stamps to who knows what because...you can't work if you "feel" depressed! When there are finally more people taking out of the kitty than putting into it, then... "Houston, we'll have a problem."

Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:

Just FYI, and for those looking to "educate" themselves, SSDI is NOT a welfare program. Its an entitlement program, coming out of the exact same coffers as Social Security Retirement Income. The person on SSDI is considered retired early---yes, there is such a thing--due to a qualifying disability. The person receiving SSDI is no more on "welfare" than those of you retirees receiving Social Security due to age.

SSI is a form of welfare--ie, means tested, for those with a qualifying disability, but don't have enough work quarters to qualify for the SSDI program.

At least get your terms straight--

SSDI = Social Security Disability Income, which is an entitlement program through the Federal Government

SSI = Supplemental Security Income, a means-based program, administered by the individual states.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
people finding ways to collect disability because they can't find a job has turned it in to welfare . call it what you want .

you can put lipstick on a pig and it is stil a pig .

Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:

And that's why this country is in the hole, too many handouts! I understand if someone actually needs it and I have no problem with that at all, but there is WAY to much fraud going on with it!

Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just FYI, and for those looking to "educate" themselves, SSDI is NOT a welfare program. Its an entitlement program, coming out of the exact same coffers as Social Security Retirement Income. The person on SSDI is considered retired early---yes, there is such a thing--due to a qualifying disability. The person receiving SSDI is no more on "welfare" than those of you retirees receiving Social Security due to age.
I think this answers the OP's question and is what the OP's friend is doing.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I think this answers the OP's question and is what the OP's friend is doing.
But as far as I know, the OP hasn't found out for sure ... OP, have you yet?

Kind of frustrating to have this kind of thread when "someone said something" but there is simply no clarity at all. (OP, not blaming you -- this is more a general comment.)

Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Quote:

There is nothing "easy" about getting disability. And, you don't go to the doctor for "a year". The time from filing until you actually get a hearing is 3 years. Those Disability Judges have case files of doctor records and lab/imagining tests to review before the hearing. If someone got Disability quickly, that means they legitimately qualified, so why shouldn't they get there money?

The Psychological Disability is a different story. SS has cut out alcoholism and addictions as disabilities and the Psychological treatment programs, for the 3 years until your hearing, require drug testing regularly. The very few folks that I know who have received Psychological SSDI have to have their money managed by an Advocate.

Reviews are almost always required from either 1 year to 3 years and up from there.

I guess the people are always going to trying for it, it is their right to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement