U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM

6,330 posts, read 5,072,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It makes perfect sense if you stop to think about it. Most people, unless in the military, law enforcement, fire or retail, get weekends, Monday holidays and major holidays off, not to leave out vacations, etc.

Once fully retired you're just that, retired, regardless of the day of the week, hour of the day or event, you name it. You're retired. You can't escape it or take a day off from it no matter where you go or what you do. It's precisely that which makes hours and days blend together and become ever so less important than they were during your employed times.

The only thing that's nonsensical is the absence of a sense of humor an inability to think outside the box (whatever that inane phrase means).
I know - sheesh I miss those three day weekends we had in the military. The excitement of the upcoming days off was - well - exciting.

Now - just another day.

But I do have things "scheduled" almost every day except Friday! Things like breakfast meeting, exercise classes, church, etc. So yea - only one day off a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

1,553 posts, read 919,793 times
I am certain I will be able to deal with that, it's a problem I can't wait to have.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:09 PM

2,332 posts, read 638,020 times
We call it vacation and follow this rule for daily living etc: Inspired not required!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 AM

6,427 posts, read 4,187,549 times
104 days for me, then I trade 5 Mondays a week for 7 Saturdays. Actually it's not quite like that for me. I work out of the house and some days remain empty. Problem is, some days turn into 16 hour days, and occasionally I get called at any time of the day or night. It hasn't happened that much lately, but because it did frequently in the past, it makes me apprehensive to plan anything personal.

That is the part I won't miss.

Then there is the Kids and Grandkids. My son is a Fireman/Paramedic. We will be able to do things with them, on his work schedule. My youngest daughter is a stay at home mom, so we will be able to do more with them. Any day now she will give us a new grandson. Our oldest daughter is in the military and may not move back home when she gets out. We will be more free to visit with her.

I am so looking forward to retirement.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
This what my dad last said... I have found it to be true....

You're kidding, right? After 40-some years of working, I look at retirement as having every day off.! Days that you can do with whatever you like, or nothing, as the mood hits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or