U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times

Advertisements

I think I am more open-minded than when younger. I thought I was very open-minded back in the day (then realized later on it was knee-jerk acceptance of new information/ideas). I think time and experience can only add to one's wisdom. I mean, can something be seen as wise if you haven't had the experience to see it over time?

Like another poster, I also feel quite capable of being not-wise on my vulnerable spots. But at least I have the experience to know what they are and not be blindsided by things happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
No. I feel less intelligent than I used to. The experiences I've had (lots of good ones too!) were so out-of-left-field that no amount of intellect or experience could have prevented or improved them. Nor have I learned from them, for the same reason. Unless learning to mistrust everyone is a good thing.

And with the new technology I can't seem to master, I just feel more and more "left behind". Any "wisdom" I might have, is not relevant to today's world.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,812,950 times
Define Wisdom, please.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 AM

1,553 posts, read 918,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Define Wisdom, please.
For me a big part is knowing when to keep your mouth shut. I do it a lot more than I used to.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,323,950 times
I am wise enough to know I can still make mistakes and learn new things even at an advanced age. I am wise enough to know that 'I can and may know better now but I can also still be stupid enough to do it again'.

I am wise enough to know that those older than me may have (still) a lot of wise words to offer when I need them most - and I am more often than not likely to listen to them - which is something I did little of in my youth.

I am probably wise enough, most of the time, to realize that telling someone to do something is often less successful than just telling your own story and hoping someone may find something in it that they can relate to.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:04 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would say I'm much wiser now at 62 than I was in my 20's. For instance certain personality traits in a man or friend that I would have overlooked in my 20's I would never put up with now. With age comes experience, which sometimes to leads to wisdom. We are more aware of consequences for poor behavior or decisions.

I wish I could return to my 20's with the experience and knowledge I have now. I would have made a lot of different choices.
Oh, absolutely! I'd actually want to time travel to an earlier age with the knowledge I have now to deal with certain situations, but 20 would definitely make my life turn out differently too.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
For me a big part is knowing when to keep your mouth shut. I do it a lot more than I used to.
I don't have a problem with that anymore. Nobody cares what I think. I'm old so that must mean I've become stupid, and hard of hearing.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,848,423 times
Quote:
Define Wisdom, please.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (10), But fools despise wisdom and instruction.(7) " - Proverbs 9:10, 1:7 (NKJV)

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Oh, absolutely! I'd actually want to time travel to an earlier age with the knowledge I have now to deal with certain situations, but 20 would definitely make my life turn out differently too.
40 years in mental health counseling showed me that people rarely change. I doubt that even going back to your 20's with what you know now would make much difference. People change in a crises, but rarely keep it. People lose 30 pounds and in 2 years gain it all back and even forget that they actually lost it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,218,216 times
Quote:
40 years in mental health counseling showed me that people rarely change. I doubt that even going back to your 20's with what you know now would make much difference. People change in a crises, but rarely keep it. People lose 30 pounds and in 2 years gain it all back and even forget that they actually lost it.
Oh, I bet you were a GREAT counselor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or