U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,352,373 times

Advertisements

Since we age slowly, and gain knowledge and life experiences slowly, it's kind of difficult to really know how much "wisdom" I've gained from age 17 to age 57...but I do know it's there.

I'm much more open minded now. I know there are two, three or even more sides to every story. I know that fear causes a lot of problems in peoples lives. I have learned that virtually any aspect of life is NOT a black and white issue....there is a lot of gray in there to sort through to find your way. I've learned that what works for me, may not work for everyone else. I've learned that not all who disagree with me are wrong, but perhaps coming at life from a very different vantage point, and perhaps have experienced a life very different from mine. We sometimes just have to agree to disagree, and remain or part on friendly terms. In just the last 5 or 6 years I've really noticed how people who are very negative in their ways, always seeing dark in a situation and fearing the worst is going to happen, definitely seem to attract more undesirable things/events into their lives, and I know I don't want that for myself anymore.

My wife and I have talked about this very issue of our age bring wisdom. All four of our parents are deceased. My mother was the last to pass 4 years ago. I remember telling my wife that we are now the oldest generation in our family, and we're supposed to be "wise".....and I don't really feel very wise at times. I would say that being wise, and having wisdom, is relative when compared to others around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 AM

19,814 posts, read 19,910,927 times
Earlier in life I would do stupid things carelessly and impulsively and suffer shock and disappointment when they turned out badly.
With age garnered wisdom I now already know they're stupid while I'm doing them so save myself the shock and disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or