U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times

Advertisements

Still at High School weight, Width is more elusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:04 AM

5,340 posts, read 7,213,018 times
I would suspect the answer of any individual has to do with what they have done in retirement. Some people become less active or become bored and soothe their boredom with food. Or they may develop a health issue that limits their activity, etc. But some people become more active because they now have time, or become happier with their freedom and soothe less with food, etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM

538 posts, read 284,491 times
Not sitting at a desk any more for a large part of the day, time to get to the pool and walking the dog 3-4 times a week. Having the time to plan and prepare healthy meals as well as eating small amounts regularly; rather than slapping something together and wolfing down too big of a portion after a long 12 hr. day without having time to stop eat something. But the big one for me is the stress has melted away and am losing weight... slowly.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I expect to lose weight in retirement due to ending shift work and having gotten hold of my own disturbed eating patterns around working. (Am doing this now). I think doing weight work is critical for muscle mass and core strength. I certainly hope it's not too late to re-start this exercise in retirement. I plan to treat exercise like any other necessary activity and really focus on it as a way to spend time.

Where I'm moving to has a hot springs swimming pool and a small, decent circuit training room right in the mountains. Gorgeous views and fresh air with exercise, and cheap compared to any gym here on the East Coast where I currently live. Another reason to take retirement as soon as possible- health reconstruction.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
I hiked in the National Parks. Lost 10 pounds even though I probably gained 10 pounds of leg muscles. Since the first couple of years in retirement, I have gotten less exercise. Sitting around the house in the winter months is not good. Now that I am in Hawaii, I can all put see a puddle of fat melting off me.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
All the stress in my job - I've gained about 20 pounds in the last couple of years.....

I look forward to retirement so I can sleep enough to stay away from food and take better care of myself.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 AM

538 posts, read 284,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Where I'm moving to has a hot springs swimming pool and a small, decent circuit training room right in the mountains. Gorgeous views and fresh air with exercise, and cheap compared to any gym here on the East Coast where I currently live. Another reason to take retirement as soon as possible- health reconstruction.
Did I read way back somewhere you are going to Ridgway? Are you going to Orvis? Clothing optional!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:43 PM

177 posts, read 193,875 times
I've gained about 20 lbs in the 20 months I have been retired. Had a knee injury about 6 months in. Knee is better but lingering pain. Motivation to go to the gym is really down. Go through lots of "tomorrow I will get back into a regular gym routine" but tomorrow never comes. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,388,719 times
I haven't retired yet, but I am hoping that the opposite is true. Right now I am forced to sit at a desk for 40+ hours a week. I have a million things running through my head that I would like to get up and do, but I can't. Hopefully once I retire I will be up doing those things and also will have more time for daily exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or