U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM

588 posts, read 344,665 times

Advertisements

Don't QUIT!

Let them fire you and you can get UE. Very true that since you are not doing face time with the boss everyday like the other guy that puts you at a disadvantage. Think about going into work at least one day a week. Start a relationship with your boss.

You may be afraid of the stock market, however, you may wish to consider laddering CDs. On line banks, like GE's has some of the best rates, however paltry but they are FDIC insured. Regular brick and mortar banks have worse so don't even go there. I got a 2% rate from a Credit Union two years ago which was a teaser rate and it isn't there anymore. This will at least generate SOME income.

I am not a financial planner, just a thought since right now I wouldn't go into the stock market either because it is too hot. I am already invested for several years now so I am taking some profit and letting the rest ride.

I like what Stealth Rabbit has to say. So I second it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM

2,244 posts, read 1,465,022 times
If you quit, you probably can't qualify for unemployment. However, if they fire you, then you can qualify for unemployment.

Let them fire you, if they are likely to.

p.s. I was downsized after 28 years in IT at the end of last September. I was 57 at the time, now 58. I have been unable to find anything in this area that pays anything near the same level. Too many others got let go at the same time. HOWEVER, since end of Sept. I have made more than $25k just in my 401k account. That's without adding any money to it, which of course I can't since I'm no longer employed

Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,283,274 times
I am freelance. I was fired from a full time job last June, so I qualified for 104 days of unemployment benefits. I am still collecting it, because I only collect for the 2 days a week I do not work, and that drags it out.

So it won't matter if I quit or get fired, as far as unemployment benefits. By the way, I also get one year of Medicaid just because I got fired! So I will be covered until I am old enough for Medicare.

Getting fired from that job was one of the best things that ever happened to me! I didn't want to get fired though, because it made me feel I was no good.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Don't QUIT!

Let them fire you and you can get UE. Very true that since you are not doing face time with the boss everyday like the other guy that puts you at a disadvantage. Think about going into work at least one day a week. Start a relationship with your boss.

You may be afraid of the stock market, however, you may wish to consider laddering CDs. On line banks, like GE's has some of the best rates, however paltry but they are FDIC insured. Regular brick and mortar banks have worse so don't even go there. I got a 2% rate from a Credit Union two years ago which was a teaser rate and it isn't there anymore. This will at least generate SOME income.

I am not a financial planner, just a thought since right now I wouldn't go into the stock market either because it is too hot. I am already invested for several years now so I am taking some profit and letting the rest ride.

I like what Stealth Rabbit has to say. So I second it!

I am very afraid of the stock market, and always was. It keeps shooting up, but I can't take a chance with money I suffered so much to earn and save.

I had decided on CDs. I bought one from a credit union last fall, at 1.9%, for 5 years. I held off after that, waiting to see what happens with interest rates.

I noticed that Capital One has a 5 year 2% CD. That seems odd, since Capital One usually had ultra-low rates. But maybe I should move one of my low interest savings accounts to that.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,170,636 times
The fact that you are female explains a lot. You should have mentioned that earlier.
I am not saying it should be that way, but it is.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM

25,985 posts, read 32,990,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is very common for IT managers to not know very much. It is their job to tell people what to do, not necessarily be able to do it themselves. Some of them know a lot, others don't. This one doesn't.
The hell it is.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The hell it is.
I worked for several different companies where the IT director had not written a program in 30 years.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:09 PM

5,939 posts, read 2,891,210 times
I'm baffled as to how you can keep getting blamed for problems with others' code. You guys use some sort of source control system right? It should be elementary to isolate exactly which change set caused a problem, and from that learn who's checkin it was. You should be able to send Boss an email showing the code before/after the change, and explain why that change had whatever undesirable effect.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM

241 posts, read 226,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I worked for several different companies where the IT director had not written a program in 30 years.
A good IT manager does not have to be the best coder.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm baffled as to how you can keep getting blamed for problems with others' code. You guys use some sort of source control system right? It should be elementary to isolate exactly which change set caused a problem, and from that learn who's checkin it was. You should be able to send Boss an email showing the code before/after the change, and explain why that change had whatever undesirable effect.
The problem was caused by the web framework, not by anyone's code. I don't even know if it was a problem, just something to deal with. I told him what to do about it, but he wouldn't listen.

The other programmer told him the error happened because my code did not follow the guidelines for the framework. That wasn't true. He just did not see exactly what I did in the video tutorials he watched.

What I did was standard and it did not cause the error. They just wanted to blame me, and they didn't want to think too hard about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement