Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I worked for several different companies where the IT director had not written a program in 30 years.
I have not had that experience. Thank God. But that really does not matter - the person should be able to tell who/what caused the problem. Does not make any sense that someone could lie about the cause of an error. Really makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 02:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
The problem was caused by the web framework, not by anyone's code. I don't even know if it was a problem, just something to deal with. I told him what to do about it, but he wouldn't listen.
So you guys had a bug in a web framework that you were using, and they blamed you for the bug? Can't you find where the bug is documented as an issue and show that?

Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
The problem was caused by the web framework, not by anyone's code. I don't even know if it was a problem, just something to deal with. I told him what to do about it, but he wouldn't listen.

The other programmer told him the error happened because my code did not follow the guidelines for the framework. That wasn't true. He just did not see exactly what I did in the video tutorials he watched.

What I did was standard and it did not cause the error. They just wanted to blame me, and they didn't want to think too hard about it.

Again and I am sorry but I would not put up with any of that aggravation. But that is me. Good luck going forward. Me I wouldn't look back.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:16 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
It sounds like your lifestyle can nearly be covered by SS and you have ample saving should you need it. I agree finding a new job at your age that allows work from home will be difficult but you have the time to look into it. If that fails you need to ask yourself this question: Is your aversion to spending down your ample savings stronger than your desire to get out of this bad work environment? Because that's what it comes down to. Life's too short to be working where you are treated unfairly.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So you guys had a bug in a web framework that you were using, and they blamed you for the bug? Can't you find where the bug is documented as an issue and show that?
I'm not sure if it's a bug. Of course I googled it and lots of people get that error. There are just times when you have to clear something out, before running the migrations, not a big deal.

The other programmer -- I'll just call him Bonehead -- is really a web page designer, as far as I can tell. He has learned Javascipt, and I guess now he thinks he knows all about software development. He is following certain guidelines for this framework (Laravel), as he interprets it.

He does not know enough about software to know if someone else is following the same guidelines. He follows everything literally.

I do not yet know if he is actually able to get anything done. So far he has mostly designed the pages.

I will probably find out within a couple weeks. Maybe it will turn out he is amazingly great. I doubt it though.

Meanwhile, I am supposed to do everything his way, no matter how stupid.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:15 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Oh, and just by chance, after the manager checked out a migration I wrote, he got that error.

I told him I got the same error after adding other migrations, he did not care. I told him there was nothing in my migration file to cause any errors, he wouldn't listen.

Meanwhile, maybe he has figured out I was right, I don't know, he has not mentioned it.

The manager has been very busy and stressed. The other programmer is a very young guy who "knows everything."

So it is not the best situation. It is probably typical for IT, but this time it's different -- most other places I worked the nasty know-it-alls actually did know a lot. This one doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement