U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,193 posts, read 11,814,728 times
Reputation: 32216

Advertisements

Obviously it's not a guarantee, but it does show the potential impact of lifestyle choices - play with some of the inputs, like what happens if you lose 25 lbs or increase the number of times a week you work out. Interesting to see what kind of impact changes like that make (at least statistically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,277 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Reputation: 9900
It gives a range like I would be in the range from 88 to 101. I think realistically it would be 88 for me. Nobody in my family made it to 100 yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,102 posts, read 12,488,322 times
Reputation: 26207
April 6, 2063 for me. I just want to see Zephram Cochran invent the warp drive so the Vulcans will visit. Of course I'll be 111 by then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 01:58 AM
 
12,733 posts, read 14,097,737 times
Reputation: 34891
88! What an appalling thing to throw at someone on a Friday. I was expecting a number lower than my current age to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
2,452 posts, read 3,672,028 times
Reputation: 4835
I did it just for giggles and grins. They do request an email account to which they will send your detailed report. I have a Free e-mail account that will be deactivated within a month, so they can load that one with all the spam they want.

Following the email page I was provided with a set of bar graphs and an identified age. 94 year old life expectancy in my case. Playing with the bar graph revealed that 94 is the 50% likelihood age, and I have a 25% likelihood of living to 100 or beyond. On the low side I have a 25% chance of dying before 84, which would also include dying today at age 60.

Lots of error space on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 05:57 AM
 
4,348 posts, read 6,063,747 times
Reputation: 10448
My calculator is in my bones besides I refuse to give my email address out to any of these gimmicky things cause I'll be besieged with geriatric promos which will make me feel older than I already am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,701 posts, read 4,431,692 times
Reputation: 11715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
If you click X to close the pop-up box, you will still get your results.
Thanks! Got it to work. Notice this calculator is sponsored by a company that sells annuities....... I tried a few scenarios around my ever fluctuating weight (betw 130 - 160) because I always gain when we travel and my life expectancy never changed from the projected 92.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,311 posts, read 11,235,339 times
Reputation: 14194
89. This definitely confirms my intention to never retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Long Neck , DE
4,903 posts, read 3,038,986 times
Reputation: 8025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, to each their own but as for me, I don't want to know.
It might be nice to know so that you could get things in order. I fear getting old much more than I fear dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 AM
 
1,301 posts, read 1,420,816 times
Reputation: 2587
This is not even close to the best calculator I have seen but at least it gave quick results. My average is 86 based on this. So if I retire at 46 as planned, I will have 40 years of sweet peaceful bliss .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top