U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:12 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times

Advertisements

No my sleep pattern didn't change when I first retired. My spouse still had to work. I still had to let the dog out and feed her. I had to leave to bring a child to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,324,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Upon retiring eight years ago I really enjoyed waking to the sound of my neighbor's starting their cars on freezing cold mornings, knowing I was going to roll over and go back to sleep. Also on those days when it was snowing like crazy or pouring rain, I'd pour another cup of coffee and just sit sit back reading the news and getting into the day on the slow track. The last six years of my work life I was on a second shift, three to eleven thirty, often walking out to a snow covered car and highways that had little traffic on them, twenty three miles home in white knuckle driving weather. Yeah, I love retirement..
I got a kick out of this post! I have a few more years, not many, before I can retire if I desire. I must admit, I do look forward to the feelings you described here

Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 AM

986 posts, read 1,179,181 times
When you first retired, did you find you enjoyed sleeping a lot? Yes
Just got up from my daily 5pm to 8pm nap ever since I retired 19 yrs ago.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,671,079 times
I get the same amount of sleep now as when working, the only change is the time. Instead of 5 in the morning I can sleep to 6:30. I am a morning person.

The big change is no more frenetic mornings or evenings with the chores that had to be done before leaving for work or before going to bed. Multi-tasking has been replaced with having the luxury of time to do things well, one at a time.

I don't function well without enough sleep (which is 7 hours for me). For me, naps affect my sleep pattern, so I try not to take any.

So, same sleep, just a better life before and after sleep since retiring.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-27-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,655,917 times
Absolutely! My wife was actually getting concerned about it because it was such a change. I was talking to another retiree about it, and he smiled and said you're just de-stressing from a lifetime of work. I still take an occasional nap, but don't sleep anywhere near the amount I slept the first few months after retirement.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM

3,697 posts, read 1,872,421 times
I will remove the alarm clock from my bedroom on 23 Dec 17. Cannot wait to sleep as long as I need to every day. No more 5:15 am wake-ups.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM

15,265 posts, read 12,586,130 times
Well I never really retired as when I did stop work I had grandchildren to mind, so Ive never really known what retiring means.. as my job was in a pre fives creche...

Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,848,423 times
During my work years, I was a 12-6:45 sleeper. Since retiring I've become more of a 12-8+ sleeper.

One thing I've always hated is being required to wake-up early for a special event, meeting or travel. In those cases, I invariably wake-up several hours early and then 'sleep' with one eye on the clock until time to get-up. I've never been an early morning person .... (I think it's because in my teens, I spent many nights on the streets and dreaded still being out and roaming around when the sun came-up).

Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times
All of my life I slept like a log. I could sleep through an earthquake probably, until the year before my retirement. My work was worrying me terribly and I tossed and turned a lot without sleeping. We would get up at 4:45 to get ready and make our commute before the traffic, so we went to bed at 10:00pm. Immediately after retirement, all that worry and sleepless nights went away and I went back to sleeping all night.

I can't sleep during daylight hours, so I still get up at 7:00am-ish and stay up until 11:00pm. No naps for me, but I do like lying in the screen porch on the lounge and relaxing in the spring/summer. Just relaxing and listening to the birds, etc. but not sleeping.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 PM

673 posts, read 2,029,188 times
Never been able to sleep well. Only require 4 to 5 hours sleep. Never changed when I quit work. I couldn't take a nap if I tried. Cannot sleep in cars or on airplanes. Strangely, I feel fine most of the time, not sleep deprived, just don't need it. Wish I could sleep longer. Force myself to stay in bed until 7 am, as don't want to turn coffee pot on until DH gets up. Occasionally take a sleeping pill if I can't get to sleep. Not stressed- feel v good. Just don't need much sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or