U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 AM

11,387 posts, read 12,978,959 times

Advertisements

Just think about being able to walk to the park, sit under those giant cottonwood trees and listen to a concert, or just enjoy the cool summer evening.

In a few short months you'll be able to relax and enjoy living in paradise.

I envy you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 AM

13,824 posts, read 26,317,315 times
^^^
Thanks so much for your encouragement. It helps me a lot.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:38 AM

38,565 posts, read 47,462,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Too old to be young now! (64 is approaching).

There is no work in my field where I am going.There might be something in about three years (new medical center) and I could see driving the 50 miles once or twice a week.

Before my RN (and during it for several good years) I worked in copyediting. I love it.It's like riding a good wave for me.
I do plan to try and find some remote work once I get settled, but don't want to rely on finding it. I see a great need for proofing and editing everywhere, yet there's no work!

I am working on learning to live quite quietly. My major expensive taste had been vacations out West/boarding dogs. I am likely to get a horse life in barter for volunteering with the therapeutic riding program and am in good contact with the woman who runs the program and has the horses. We've already discussed this. (I do not want to own a horse or otherwise be responsible for one but do love riding in sight of the mountains).

I am waiting to acquire some cheap tastes as I get older. Still waiting.
Oh my gosh, good for you! I have not read about your saga before, so I haven't read everything. I have been retired for a few years (at 64, against my will) but I will tell you that...life is short and we only have today, and you can get along on much less than you think.

Peace of mind is priceless. It sounds to me like you have all your ducks in a row for a happy, tranquil retirement...unless you undermine yourself.

Can I just throw a thought out for you? Nurses in general are "servers". They are happiest doing for others, often to their own detriment. For example, they tend to marry men who need fixing. You have been used up at your present job, yet you seem to be setting yourself up to get into the same position, with the therapeutic riding program. Just saying.

Take good care of yourself.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:46 AM

^^^
Thank you for the caution about "serving." I have been training at a big therapeutic riding program here in the East and when I have a lot of interaction with riders, I feel like I'm at work. I am training to be a horse handler. I am not an instructor, and the horse handler is taught to focus purely on the horse (and safety) and not to interact with the rider. I really want to learn more about interacting with horses! There is a certified instructor for the hardcore part of it.

Also, this will give me an in with horse people and possible friends in the area. The horse owner has a string of about 45 horses, runs trail rides, breeding and other horse business. She ran a very successful trail ride business in a national park in California for years, so she knows her stuff.

I have managed not to marry men who need fixing! and am at least somewhat alert to my attraction to same. I always said that nurses don't marry doctors- they marry unemployed landscapers. Two of my co-workers are married to bums, plain and simple, men with "back injuries" who seem to do everything just fine except work. I think psych nurses might be even more vulnerable than medical nurses to making these unfortunate choices.

Me, I want to take care of dogs. When it comes to men, I hope to break even. I'm not moving West to get a date (I hear this is a wise way to look at it) although I'd enjoy good company, but that can come in many forms. I hope.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:19 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,930,774 times
Quote:
My annual "wasn't I just here" visit!
I told him I want to have an appointment with him after tax season and when I get my annual pension statement. I don't want traditional financial advice but want to understand the tax implications of retiring (taking my pension) at 64 and 8 months, selling my house and making a profit, and spending four months of retirement in Massachusetts and the rest in my new state of Colorado.

He gets that my questions might not have concrete answers, did ask if I can get COBRA (yes) and that financial decisions have a lot of emotional content in addition to precise answers.

I am going to have to do something if I want to wait until 66 for Soc Sec. Maybe live off some of the house sale proceedings in addition to pension, maybe take a chunk of the pension as a chunk (and owe income tax on the chunk next year), maybe just bite the bullet and take Soc. Sec.early. You see these are more emotional decisions but I want to see what the tax implications are.

I am not involved in my 403b anymore. Croaked it to buy my building lot in Colorado, worried about the markets in the current political climate, plus deciding that my pension is quite enough.

The questions are always there, when to retire, where to pull money if fortunate enough to have choices, how long to work (it's affecting my health in a big way, and I want out sooner not later). I so appreciate my accountant- have known him for many years, way back when he used pencils and paper!
Question: are you truly just seeking the cash-flow implications pre- and post- tax? Or are you additionally trying to model or forecast if your assets will be sufficient to cover your needs the rest of your life?

Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 PM

My income will be fixed so I have to make it work over time.
I do want to see the tax implications of the few things that are outside my fixed income. The income tax system in CO is different than MA.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,930,774 times
Quote:
My income will be fixed so I have to make it work over time.
I do want to see the tax implications of the few things that are outside my fixed income. The income tax system in CO is different than MA.
I question if a CPA is the right person to do the financial planning piece (e.g., modeling income & assets for the next XX years -- as you say, "My income will be fixed so I have to make it work over time). Perhaps a CPA will have access to the correct software tools; perhaps not. For example: Mrs. SportyandMisty is a highly skilled tax attorney capable of researching all manner of tax implications & strategies, but she is not capable of modeling income & assets over an extended period of time (just not her skillset).

I do wish you the best.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,681,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I question if a CPA is the right person to do the financial planning piece (e.g., modeling income & assets for the next XX years -- as you say, "My income will be fixed so I have to make it work over time). Perhaps a CPA will have access to the correct software tools; perhaps not. For example: Mrs. SportyandMisty is a highly skilled tax attorney capable of researching all manner of tax implications & strategies, but she is not capable of modeling income & assets over an extended period of time (just not her skillset).

I do wish you the best.

Your spouse may not be qualified to do financial planning but there are MANY CPAs who specialize in personal financial and estate planning. The OP needs to find one who is qualified.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,686,565 times
Hay...I have,horses...I bought a farm and I have 4 dogs. I took social security early...absolutely NO REGRETS...go west and start loving life

Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 AM

5,160 posts, read 2,344,687 times
No one's income is fixed. Except working people who take salary or hourly rates.
My deferred annuities gained 5%in real value. My investments + 12% …
We took SS early on the premise that we needed the money (unemployed) and the concept of "use it or lose it".

Ask accountant, how close are you to "SS Hump" when you take SS with other income sources.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or