U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:26 AM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times

Advertisements

At one time I found a web site w/job postings for contract, per piece, and full time employment in the writing/publishing field...remote as well as in-house...
I would send you the link but I can't remember the name and only get sporadic emails based on the skills I Entered...which were for my son who has MA in Creative Writing and works for an educational products company producing tutorial materials...

If I have any discarded emails in my trash I will forward the site info...And of course you can find similar sites w/Google...
But there is a market for editing skills...unfortunately it often does not really pay accurately for your time/effort

Have you discovered what it takes to keep your nursing license active in your new state?
Sometimes there is a time factor and it is easier and cheaper to activate right after the move rather than wait maybe the 3 yrs you mentioned until the new hospital shows up...
You will be 3 yrs older by then as well...often a less attractive employee is the one over 50...

It is certainly possible that even though your area is rural/isolated you have people who need nursing care in the home...
Your speciality wasn't general nursing so I don't know what you feel your translatable skills are
And just a suggestion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,590,184 times
I plan to keep my license active but will only use it if something appears up my skills alley. Even with the ACA, a plain RN isn't that useful (ACA-mandated outpatient mental health uses every credential except mine).

I will look for sites for copy editing, as I always do check now. It's not a financial necessity but I really love editing.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM

4,004 posts, read 3,228,368 times
I can relate a lot to what you are doing. I am the same age, and looking at retirement. I have horses, am downsizing the numbers now, but hope to always have a couple (fields need to be "mowed"). Would love to get into dog rescue, too, but I think Ill probably just end up adopting a few, since I have the room and when retired, the time.

Only difference with you is that Im very happy right where I am. Would like to put in a pool next year, but financially we'll see.

Also wondering about taking SS at 66, or taking it now. Waiting is good for some, but I hate leaving all that money on the table if I wait that long.

Good luck with your move. Sounds like you have a great life ahead of you.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 PM

I have been adopting senior dogs for years now and am home all day with them, working third shift. I have five right now. My house in Colorado is smaller and has a smaller yard and I am thinking of downsizing (attrition). I would consider leasing/boarding a horse in the summer if I don't end up riding where I'll be volunteering.

I know that horses are not an OLD age plan! Another reason to retire on the earlier side of things than later. Actually, my initial reason for wanting to retire to CO was an utter lack of inspiration for riding here in the East. I probably could afford a horse here but I am a trail rider, not a ring rider, and was just uninspired to think of going to the expense of a horse in the East. Goodness, how I loathe summers here! One more, this year and then next year I'll be up in Colorado if all goes well.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,653 posts, read 40,029,981 times
If you are very serious about horses... make SURE to tell your accountant to adjust your numbers.!!!

Having grown up on a Colorado ranch, and attending to my Grandfather's active workhorses on his farm.... by age 21, I traded ALL my horses for WHEELS that only eat while driving. It was strictly a financial decision.

I am SO grateful I had BOYS as kids... no girls A Horse (during prime earning yrs) would have 'tacked' on 20 yrs to my retirement saving plan.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:27 PM

I'm serious about not owning a horse. I'll be volunteering in therapeutic horseback riding as a horse handler and there's a real good chance of being able to pleasure ride myself with the same people. At the very most, I might lease and board a horse for the summer months to ride.
I've never understood why boys are not as taken with horses as girls. What about cowboys? I always wanted to be a cowgirl with a six-shooter with pearl-handles. Of course, the real ones with the etching are several thousand dollars.I think this will be one retirement want that I can let go!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 PM

538 posts, read 286,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've never understood why boys are not as taken with horses as girls
I am a horse owner, fortunate to have enough land to keep them on. Have had horses in my life since I was 17. A long-deceased farrier I used to know once said to me, "A cowboy likes a good horse, but women? They love their horses, unconditionally." Not sure what it is, but I've always had horse fever. At the CTRC or the local horse rescues, you will find mostly women around those places. Same with 4H programs.

Sounds like you have a great plan coming together, welcome to CO.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 AM

982 posts, read 607,771 times
Quote:
I plan to keep my license active but will only use it if something appears up my skills alley. Even with the ACA, a plain RN isn't that useful (ACA-mandated outpatient mental health uses every credential except mine).
I am a VA Primary Care R.N. and the VA is always looking for experienced R.N.s with strong psych experience and not necessarily with a lot of letters after their names. My facility has a number of R.N.s doing psych telehealth nursing and some of them even do this work from home because they have a key which allows them direct access to patients electronic medical records. These telehealth nurses utilize a computer interactive program that patients input data daily by answering questions related to their psych diagnosis. Patient responses will dictate if further intervention is required or just further monitoring.

In addition to psych telehealth I can't even begin to list all the opportunities at the VA that would be available to a nurse with psych experience from methadone maintenance clinics to psych home health. And with most of the younger nurses wanting full time employment, the part time and intermittent positions are are often filled by older nurses which many have already retired from their private sector jobs but still want to work to supplement their retirement incomes. Unfortunately I could not do this when I retire because unless certain requirements were met, any income I would earn post retirement working for the Federal Government that income would be deducted from my pension so it would not be worth it for me. But for other private sector retired R.N's it would be not a bad deal because depending on where in the country you would work, you are looking at an hourly pay rate of $45-$50/ hr. Additionally, even if you are planning to relocate to another state you do not need to obtain a nursing license in that state because the Federal Government only requires you to have a valid active nursing license from any US state which also includes Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Wow, that is interesting.
The nearest bricks and mortar V.A. where I'm going (and detox) is some 88 miles. Telehealth sounds very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM

982 posts, read 607,771 times
Quote:
Wow, that is interesting.
The nearest bricks and mortar V.A. where I'm going (and detox) is some 88 miles. Telehealth sounds very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.
I suspect where you will be living with the nearest VA main hospital being 88 miles away, more that likely there are a number of what we call CBOCs (community based outpatient clinics) probably several not too far from you which may be an employment option. The VA even has a CBOC in St. Thomas, USVI which is under the San Juan, PR VA. I myself check out if there are openings at that CBOC from time to time but as of yet no such luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or