U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM

1,302 posts, read 606,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think women in later generations anticipate that possibility. But this is the retirement forum and women in the baby boomer generation might not have known how much was going to change in the future. Many divorce laws changed dramatically over the past 30 years, including eliminating alimony and I think all states have now eliminated the need to prove "grounds" for getting a divorce. All those Henry Youngman/Rodney Dangerfield types of jokes about the woman getting the house, the big alimony, the cars, etc. may have been very relevant during the 60s and 70s, but wouldn't apply to anyone getting divorced late in life.

That is all very true. The world changed in terms of pensions, too, from what we saw for our parents. Younger people see how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:07 AM

13,351 posts, read 25,621,216 times
I guess I'm lucky. I never knew what a pension was (or investments) and my parents were in a small trailer on Soc.Security. My father drove a taxi until he was 75. "This isn't your parents'/grandparents' retirement" completely depends on who your parents/grandparents were and how they lived and worked.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 AM

15,771 posts, read 26,835,646 times
I guess if you run out of money you have to sell your home or get a reverse mortgage. If I was in that situation I might rent the house out and live on the boat.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess if you run out of money you have to sell your home or get a reverse mortgage. If I was in that situation I might rent the house out and live on the boat.
The hospital / Drs / Lawyers are gonna get the house AND the boat. (so happened to 3 of my now deceased retired / early outsourced... friends (who's surviving spouses are now homeless and impoverished))

After all... this is the land of 'opportunity and opportunists to match!'

Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM

6,000 posts, read 2,921,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MANY countries have 'fall-back' social / legal coverages for the above, but in USA, you will likely be driven to destitution. THAT is quite unique to USA (sharks / lawyers / Very poor Gov support to avoid raping those with $$ eligible for capture. Once you are broke, and house / assets are all gone... USA is a different story
THAT is far from unique to USA, as someone who seems well traveled I'm surprised you'd spout this tripe.

Last edited by lieqiang; 03-02-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
If you are paying "market rates" for HC insurance in USA ($2000+ / month) you are supporting the USA litigation society, NOT the medical industry. Most countries do not employ the density of attorneys (or Dr) that the USA provides a 'healthy' std of living to.

Tort reform ? Vintage and foregone idea in the USA

BTDT

Haven't run into similar in most international countries, especially the country I am enjoying today! The Government may CANE you for chewing gum, but you don't have to worry about becoming destitute over a frivolous law suit. +/- to every place.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM

6,000 posts, read 2,921,912 times
Quote:
If you are paying "market rates" for HC insurance in USA ($2000+ / month) you are supporting the USA litigation society, NOT the medical industry.
That is not the "market rate" for HC insurance in the USA. It might be your personal rate given your own family/medical/plan but that doesn't make it representative of a market rate.

Quote:
Haven't run into similar in most international countries, especially the country I am enjoying today! The Government may CANE you for chewing gum, but you don't have to worry about becoming destitute over a frivolous law suit. +/- to every place.
How would you have run into it? You're playing tourist, that hardly gives you some deep insight into the complexities of the local legal/tort/medical system and whether people can be driven into destitution because of medical or legal liabilities.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 PM

26,091 posts, read 33,097,844 times
Quote:
If you are paying "market rates" for HC insurance in USA ($2000+ / month) you are supporting the USA litigation society, NOT the medical industry. Most countries do not employ the density of attorneys (or Dr) that the USA provides a 'healthy' std of living to.

Tort reform ? Vintage and foregone idea in the USA

BTDT

You might want to watch yourself in a few other countries.

https://www.clements.com/resources/a...s-in-the-World

Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 AM

13,907 posts, read 25,378,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
WOW. SSI is below poverty level. Who could live on that amount.
It's not as hard as you think.

1) You get a subsidized senior apartment that costs 30% of what you make and that's all bills paid.

2) You apply for SNAP.

3) You apply for Medicaid. They pay your Medicare premium and function as your secondary insurance. This leaves you with all medical free, even prescriptions.

4) Having Medicaid and SNAP opens all the food banks for your use. Between this and SNAP, almost all your food needs are met. And Meals on Wheels will deliver 7 frozen dinners a week right to your door.

5) SNAP gives you a free cellphone.

Using that $880 per month amount, the apartment would cost you right about $250 per month. Then add in $30 per month for a senior bus pass. What else would you NEED? Especially since your food is taken care of? Maybe a few bucks a month for stuff like soap, TP, and paper towels. And maybe $100 per year for clothes. So lets say total expenses are $350. That leaves you with $500 per month free and clear to spend as you please. There a lot of people who see less money than this at the end of the month!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:45 AM

4,457 posts, read 2,635,825 times
They will become homeless, live under a bridge next to the railroad tracks, eat at soup kitchens they can walk, cane, walker or roll to, collect returnable cans and bottles for things they need to buy and subsist. They will get health care from medicaid IF they have someplace to get mail, like a cheap PO box, paid for with said cans and bottles.

I did it once, I guess I can do it again.

Then they will die, and be buried in "potter's Field" on the gov't dime of $250.00, IF it still exists, to not pollute waterways.

That IS already what the wealthy want to do to decrease the surplus population.

Charming future isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement