Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 04:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
They will become homeless, live under a bridge next to the railroad tracks, eat at soup kitchens they can walk, cane, walker or roll to, collect returnable cans and bottles for things they need to buy and subsist. They will get health care from medicaid IF they have someplace to get mail, like a cheap PO box, paid for with said cans and bottles.

I did it once, I guess I can do it again.

Then they will die, and be buried in "potter's Field" on the gov't dime of $250.00, IF it still exists, to not pollute waterways.

That IS already what the wealthy want to do to decrease the surplus population.

Charming future isn't it?

I have been reading your posts, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the resilience and resourcefulness you have demonstrated in meeting extreme adversity and coming through it. You have been to the depths as I have not and you have much to teach us.

However, I have to disagree with your sentence which I bolded. First, there is no such thing as what "the wealthy" want because the wealthy are individuals, many individuals, and they do not all agree on everything, any more than "the poor" agree on everything amongst themselves.

In the light of what you have gone through, I can understand a certain amount of bitterness. But demonizing the wealthy is frequently inaccurate and based on nothing but resentment. Certain wealthy individuals (Bill Gates is only one example) have gone to extraordinary lengths to benefit humanity with their wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's not as hard as you think.

1) You get a subsidized senior apartment that costs 30% of what you make and that's all bills paid.

2) You apply for SNAP.

3) You apply for Medicaid. They pay your Medicare premium and function as your secondary insurance. This leaves you with all medical free, even prescriptions.

4) Having Medicaid and SNAP opens all the food banks for your use. Between this and SNAP, almost all your food needs are met. And Meals on Wheels will deliver 7 frozen dinners a week right to your door.

5) SNAP gives you a free cellphone.

Using that $880 per month amount, the apartment would cost you right about $250 per month. Then add in $30 per month for a senior bus pass. What else would you NEED? Especially since your food is taken care of? Maybe a few bucks a month for stuff like soap, TP, and paper towels. And maybe $100 per year for clothes. So lets say total expenses are $350. That leaves you with $500 per month free and clear to spend as you please. There a lot of people who see less money than this at the end of the month!
My daughter's roommate is on SNAP, I think she gets subsidized to utilities bill too.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That ought to be something you think about while you're young enough to have children.

For most people in this world, it's the #1 reason that they have children.

For example, in China, the burden of supporting elders falls upon #1 Son. That's why many more sons than daughters are born there.
And I'm sure many can attest to the very real fact that having children is no guarantee that they will take care of you in your old age.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
In today's world there are abortions.

Back in time, baby girls were killed.

They're still being killed today in some parts of the world. In India, an ultrasound is used primarily for determining the sex of an unborn child. If it's a girl, the chances are much greater of it being aborted.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In other words, let society pick up the tab because you failed to plan for a successful life and your eventual retirement.
I don't but there are those who do. I'm glad there is a safety net for these people. And I'm glad it's there for me if the situation changes.

My SO's cousin is the person I know who has all these bennies. He wasn't lazy. He worked for 40 years. His mistake was being born in NYC.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 PM

252 posts, read 358,998 times
I read a new trend is seniors moving in together

Old 08-19-2017, 08:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
I read a new trend is seniors moving in together
That can work as long as you can rotate in younger seniors as "replacements". It doesn't help if you're the last man standing.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
What do you think will happen to the retired population that runs out of money before they die?
They return to work?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:43 PM

106,661 posts, read 108,810,853 times
or they work longer . retirement has never been a right . it has only been a privilege for those who could afford it . if you can live on your social security , great but if not you need to find something to do even if it is some kind of phone gig .

eventually like water ,everyone seeks their own level if they can't work . it just may be a lifestyle they dislike .

Old 08-20-2017, 01:26 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
They return to work?
Pretty laughable to The Knowing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement