U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM

6,205 posts, read 2,865,717 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was a young girl, I have had a severe aversion to anyone holding my nose shut. So lack of breathing thru the nose has been my morbid caution. They say Breath in thru the nose and out thru the mouth.

When I was 8 years old, I got trapped in a waves undertow...it tossed me violently out to sea....I was not good swimmer....Naturally I couldn't breathe....
At some point it tossed me back towards the sand shores....and a gent found me floundering....He rescued me. My aunt and uncle who had taken me to the beach that day thanked the guy. I was in tears and shock from that. They never comforted me or even spoke of it afterwards....I learned what "indifference" means ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,839,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Being burned alive is the worst way I can think of.

Burning and drowning have always been my big two.....

but since I lost my mother to multi-infarct dementia after nearly a decade, any type of dementia process ranks right up there, too....

Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,975,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I never would have thought drowning was such a bad way to go. But when I was in ICU after surgery involving a carotid artery, my throat swelled up so badly that I felt as though I were drowning in my saliva for 18 hours. It takes a lot to frighten me but that did the job and I now agree that drowning would be a terrible way to die.

Burning to death is, in my opinion, the worst possible way to go.
IF I got this story correct, there was a woman who burned to death in a multi-car and truck crash here on Long Island around 10 yrs ago. She was trapped in her car, and a nearby car was on fire. People tried to get to her, but the flames got really bad and they couldn't get near. Eventually, her car caught fire. I read that she was blowing the horn and screaming, until the horn stopped. Very sad. I agree, I can't think of a more painful and terrifying way to go. May that poor lady rest in peace. I won't mention her name out of respect for the family's privacy.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM

322 posts, read 194,373 times
It's making me sad to hear a lot of fellow posters stories. I'm sorry to everyone that has had to experience something horrible happening to a loved one.

Now I will be leaving this thread as it's bad for my anxiety.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:50 PM

878 posts, read 470,147 times
Don't leave now, the fun is just beginning! Only after you accept the 100% inevitability of your own death and the fragility of existence itself, can you let go of all those anxieties.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:55 PM

2,851 posts, read 916,603 times
If I ever get Alzheimer's - I hope to have someone give me the keys to a car that has a full tank of gas, a CD player stacked with my favorite tunes, in a closed in garage. Let me turn that baby on, rock out to those tunes, and peacefully go to sleep.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,574,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Being burned alive is the worst way I can think of.
What's the matter with you guys? The sun is out, the sky is blue, go out and play or something. Sheesh.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:33 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,771,022 times
Most people are killing themselves slowly with lifestyle choices. Many choose to kill themselves with food, drink, or drugs. Others choose to smoke the life out of themselves. I see people every day at the hospital that could have made a change and did something else to extend their life. They failed to listen to others and killed themselves with a food product. Amazing.

I think the worse way to go is death by choice. What I mean is we know it is bad to be overweight. We know drugs will kill us, we know that alcohol can destroy the body. Yet so many of us fail to stop doing those things. Some health issues we can not prevent. They happen and it is the luck of the draw or lack of luck. Many things we can prevent and most fail to do so. That is the saddest kind of death.

People have compassion on those that end up with a life changing condition that is out of their control. I know I do anyway. You get some disease, cancer, some other thing that is beyond your control and I have real compassion for that person. You do what you can to save the persons life and if it comes to it, comfort in the end. It is not something that they chose or could get out of.

Someone that places them in a bad position though, I don't have as much compassion for them. They made a choice and failed to change.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,975,172 times
We all gotta die of something...

Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 PM

32 posts, read 15,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Most people are killing themselves slowly with lifestyle choices. Many choose to kill themselves with food, drink, or drugs. Others choose to smoke the life out of themselves. I see people every day at the hospital that could have made a change and did something else to extend their life. They failed to listen to others and killed themselves with a food product. Amazing.

I think the worse way to go is death by choice. What I mean is we know it is bad to be overweight. We know drugs will kill us, we know that alcohol can destroy the body. Yet so many of us fail to stop doing those things. Some health issues we can not prevent. They happen and it is the luck of the draw or lack of luck. Many things we can prevent and most fail to do so. That is the saddest kind of death.

People have compassion on those that end up with a life changing condition that is out of their control. I know I do anyway. You get some disease, cancer, some other thing that is beyond your control and I have real compassion for that person. You do what you can to save the persons life and if it comes to it, comfort in the end. It is not something that they chose or could get out of.

Someone that places them in a bad position though, I don't have as much compassion for them. They made a choice and failed to change.
You speak of lifestyle choices, but the older I get the more I'm realizing how much more randomness comes into play. It's true that drinking, drugs and other things can shorten lifespans, but I can also think of examples of people living well into their 80's where drinking and smoking weren't factors even though the ones I'm thinking of were heavy users of both. Then there are medical mistakes. My mother would still be here at the ripe old age of 85 if the rehab hadn't of neglected giving her her lasix for a month! A friend of my sisters ate right and exercised regularly, but one day rear ended someone in his car, was thrown out of his car 100 feet and made it to the hospital ok, but was full of internal ruptures and died a short time later. He was 47. So healthy lifestyles help, but they're still way far off of a guarantee of living to a ripe old age. I see runners all the time pushing themselves to the limit, but I think studies are beginning to show that too much exercise does more harm then good, yet people become obsessed. Good genes and living in a healthy environment as free of toxins as possible are two key factors to longevity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement