U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,433,594 times

Advertisements

Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM

15,751 posts, read 26,800,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
You speak of lifestyle choices, but the older I get the more I'm realizing how much more randomness comes into play. It's true that drinking, drugs and other things can shorten lifespans, but I can also think of examples of people living well into their 80's where drinking and smoking weren't factors even though the ones I'm thinking of were heavy users of both. Then there are medical mistakes. My mother would still be here at the ripe old age of 85 if the rehab hadn't of neglected giving her her lasix for a month! A friend of my sisters ate right and exercised regularly, but one day rear ended someone in his car, was thrown out of his car 100 feet and made it to the hospital ok, but was full of internal ruptures and died a short time later. He was 47. So healthy lifestyles help, but they're still way far off of a guarantee of living to a ripe old age. I see runners all the time pushing themselves to the limit, but I think studies are beginning to show that too much exercise does more harm then good, yet people become obsessed. Good genes and living in a healthy environment as free of toxins as possible are two key factors to longevity.
Randomness does come into play. I don't worry about that because I can not change it. I only worry about what I have control over and that is what I was getting at with my earlier post.

I think we all know that person that beat the odds and was able to live how ever they want. I have no idea if I will be that person or not. I do know more people that have made healthy lifestyle choices and are still around then people that made poor choices. I don't know anyone that hit 100 and had made poor choices.

I think we all know those people that went over board in working out. I always think that we need to balance our life out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. I see that with people that are working out. Many go way over board.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,389,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I never would have thought drowning was such a bad way to go. But when I was in ICU after surgery involving a carotid artery, my throat swelled up so badly that I felt as though I were drowning in my saliva for 18 hours. It takes a lot to frighten me but that did the job and I now agree that drowning would be a terrible way to die.

Burning to death is, in my opinion, the worst possible way to go.
Burning is a 2 for 1. You won't be able to breath and you will be burning. Now where's that water when you need it?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM

32 posts, read 15,850 times
In another century or so, people are going to be living much longer as they're very close to cracking the DNA code. If you are going to be diabetic, for example, they'll replace the defective genes with a good one.... the same for any other genetic disease. Cancer is going to be dealt with similarly. So figure living 200-300 year lifespans. Along with that, we're going to have AI, perhaps organically based, working right alongside human beings. These things will only happen though if we:

1) Either leave Earth and spread out colonies in the solar system and other places, or
2) allow ourselves some time living longer on Earth if we utilize all the free ocean and underground space and
3) we have to get our social issues under control and, so far, we just haven't done it... if not, then we'll end up regressing similar to the dark ages and Renaissance

Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 PM

153 posts, read 104,656 times
This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,943,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonista View Post
Good Lord....what a horrible condition to be in! If I had that, I'd hope some kind soul would put me out of my misery. To be fully conscious, able to feel pain, but unable to move or communicate sounds like a hellish existence.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 PM

489 posts, read 327,690 times
Um, how about being accidentally caught in a wood chipper?? Or being dragged to death behind a car? (Happened to a tow truck driver here in Colorado a couple of years ago.)

Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM

538 posts, read 286,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Um, how about being accidentally caught in a wood chipper?? Or being dragged to death behind a car? (Happened to a tow truck driver here in Colorado a couple of years ago.)
OMG, wood chipper? Shades of Fargo there.

The tow truck story, that was Colorado Springs, a repossession gone wrong maybe? I remember a crazy guy dragging a poor woman through the Surrey Ridge subdivision too.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 780,809 times
Buried alive.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 AM

538 posts, read 286,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Buried alive.
For your reading pleasure: 4 People Who Were Buried Alive (And How They Got Out) | Mental Floss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement