Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Having given it some thought, the worst way to go is old and alone. Regardless of the cause of death, l rather die of some disease at 75 with family and friends about than to die peacefully in my sleep alone, having outlived my friends, spouse and my kids.
Agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Alzheimers or anything else that prevents me from moving to a state with assisted suicide available.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:55 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
For me, Alzheimer's is the worse, especially if the one suffering from it becomes mean or abusive. Both of my parents passed away from Alzheimer's and it's a cruel, slow death. My father actually became nicer in his last few years, but my mother (who had been a wonderfully kind, sweet woman all her life), became abusive and angry. It was horrible and I have vast personal experience with it.

I wouldn't wish Alzheimer's on my worst enemy.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We all have these fears; but they become more likely to give us food for thought as we age. Like almost everyone, I hope to just not wake up someday when my time here is done. But, not everyone is so lucky. Among the life ending scenarios we most fear, which is the worst in your mind?

Alzheimers

Cancer

Parkinsons

Heart Attack

Crime victim -- home invasion and being murdered
Burned badly plus multiple traumas then left untreated laying there.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:00 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I knew a type 2 diabetic who lost both legs, went blind, was on kidney dialysis, and getting close to losing a hand before he died. He spent the last 4 yrs of his life in a nursing home, and was only 65 when he died.
Same - I had an ex's mother lose a leg from gangrene and other horrible issues after untreated diabetes. Had she taken care of herself and followed medical advice, it likely wouldn't have happened.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Being burned alive is the worst way I can think of.
Being burned but surviving, then dying slowly in rubble or out in the woods.

Some fighters in Afghanistan and Iraq have met their end this way. Would be really bad if one was green and 18 or 19, whole life ahead ... until it's not. Then, then pain ... and eventual shut down.

Process could take a week or more.

Not everyone gets evac'ed. Some die all alone, in unbelievable pain, out there.

The lucky ones can still reach their side arm and preempt the inevitable.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
Worst way to die? ANY disease or condition that has a protracted period of suffering would be my last choice.

The other end of the spectrum is an instantaneous death. For example, the passengers aboard the Germanwings flight where the pilot flew the aircraft at high speed into a mountainside.

The individuals experienced minutes of sheer terror, knowing that their death was imminent. But, at 400-500 mph, there is no way that they could have experienced their own demise, because their bodies were destroyed before any pain signals could have traveled to the brain.

So, it was as if a switch was flipped and they were gone. It is a bit scary to think that even though we may feel solid and strong, our existence is really tenuous and could be snuffed out any second in a violent accident of some sort. You could say that would be the "best" way to go, but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone feel like they want to experience the moment of transition between life and death, or would you rather skip that part of the movie and just go to "black" instantaneously?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,529 times
well that was a fun read....

Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM

134 posts, read 118,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Same - I had an ex's mother lose a leg from gangrene and other horrible issues after untreated diabetes. Had she taken care of herself and followed medical advice, it likely wouldn't have happened.
Even with adequate care of a diabetic, infections can come out of nowhere. I had taken over total care of my father after his stroke. One day, about two years in, I noticed a red area around the big toe area of the foot. I kept an eye on it, but by the next day, it was double size and I knew it was bad news. Took him to his podiatrist who immediately hospitalized him for 7 days while they treated him with IV antibiotics. They also had to drain infection from the toe, but the doctor wouldn't know until the actual surgery how much infection there was and whether or not he'd have to take the toe as well. Luckily not, but even with care, with a diabetic, you never know.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Drowning. The thought of being under water gasping for air terrifies me...

I never would have thought drowning was such a bad way to go. But when I was in ICU after surgery involving a carotid artery, my throat swelled up so badly that I felt as though I were drowning in my saliva for 18 hours. It takes a lot to frighten me but that did the job and I now agree that drowning would be a terrible way to die.

Burning to death is, in my opinion, the worst possible way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement