U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,701,447 times

Advertisements

I have very few pictures of myself; others, yes.

However, I was at a family party not too long ago and my sister had placed a big bowl of old pictures and one of my nieces found one of me and said "Wow, Aunt Bette, you were a fox!"

So, anyway, this is renovation year for houses and body. Need to lose the weight, work out with weights, etc - also swim more. My husband looks good for his age and I don't need someone stealing him LOL.

It got me thinking. That picture was 28 years old but at the time, I felt old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 3,466,540 times
It was a shock when I took a selfie so I use a younger photo on Facebook. But, it did help me come to terms with the fact that I have wrinkles, & that's okay.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM

21,915 posts, read 14,406,502 times
Yes to the OP. I look old. I hate it but I do. If you want better photos of yourself, have a loved one photograph you; many times they will try to make you look good. But, honestly, we are all turning into versions of our parents.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my DH has lost his lips. They are gone, or at least they have slipped behind his mouth--or something. For years he looked the same; he never looked too much different. Even now at 74 he does not have completely gray hair. He has remained trim. But his posture has changed and he moves differently. He's still the same guy, but he looks old. I'm right behind him at age 70. Hair is slowly turning white. And I move differently and my face is falling.

My strategy is to smile. I think smiling is one of the best strategies for keeping an older face pleasant. If I don't smile, I try to look pleasant. Too many of us older folks walk around with frowns.

But yes, I know I look old.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:11 AM

7,696 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Some of us have been that way all our lives. I saw a video of a square dance 15 years ago and asked, "Who is that woman?"

You guessed it. Not only did I not know it was me, I had no idea that dress -- which I'd made myself -- looked like that on me.

Sigh.

That's somewhat balanced by an experience I had at a niece's wedding. A woman came up to me and asked, "Are you Monica's daughter?"

Monica (not her real name) is my sister. My sister is two years older than me.

OK, that woman probably had terrible eyesight or something but I'm claiming the win.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 AM

19,827 posts, read 19,921,769 times
I totally relate and hate cameras, but what's funny is these admissions completely contradict the usual " Everybody tells me I look so much younger than I am" and "I don't look my age"
In most cases....oh, yes we do!I just got a message from an OLD site that says "My god! You don't look like you're out of your 40s!"
Ha! Move that camera from 15 feet away to 2 and he wouldn't say that.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 AM

12,721 posts, read 14,093,600 times
By your late seventies you learn to accept your old face, or else you're nuts.

But I did have one curious "problem." I shave every morning - so I am used to how my old face looks, but when I used to see it in a photo I thought it looked different and even older.

I showed a photo that had been taken at a recent event to a friend, and made that observation. I was surprised when he agreed immediately, but he had a good explanation. He said that I did not look to him in person the way I did in the photo, and he thought the reason was that when your face is in motion (as it is when I am shaving or chatting with friends) that the movement keeps the loose muscles and skin from sagging. But when you sit still for a photo your face just "hangs loose," so to speak.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:11 AM

269 posts, read 154,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In my mind's eye, my snapshot is about 45 years old,presentable, youngish middle aged person of average weight, height, pleasant expression. Sooooo very shocking to see myself in a "selfie"or a group photo and there's a chubby, wiry silver-haired person with a saggy and sort of sad looking face. I don't feel sad inside, why does my face have a sad appearance?

Am I the only one who is shocked when I see my photo image and its so different from what I carry internally as my self-image?
I don't recognize myself either. I tell my husband all the time, "Only the lucky ones get to experience all these aging changes." He's finally starting to see how aging really is a gift that not everyone is lucky enough to experience. I have ZERO complaints!

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Really. "Consider the alternative."

Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM

890 posts, read 678,405 times
The best one-liner when bumping into an old high school friend, "I can't believe I went to high school with someone as old as you."

Old 02-28-2017, 11:05 AM

9,255 posts, read 8,318,049 times
No, I haven't allowed to let myself get dumpy or go grey. I look very similar to what I did at 30 with a few more wrinkles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or