U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,623,040 times

Advertisements

:c rying:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:21 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,421,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
But if you build up the muscles in the arms, the loose skin will be filled with the newly enlarged muscle.
Alas, not so much when your are old. I've been working on my arms for years. I've definitely built muscle. But I still have loose skin on the upper arm.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,021,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonista View Post
Facetime and Skype are not flattering to the aging face either, so I stick with speaker phone or conference calls.
Same as phonecams, it's the proximity to the gadget which makes the face oval-ish.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:44 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,021,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
At this point not shocked but very dismayed when I get out of the shower and see that fat old man in the mirror. I was always thin.
I blame those damn bacons. They're just so tasty!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM

890 posts, read 678,635 times
A better wake-up call than a current photo leaving you devastated is to strip down in the bathroom, grab a hand-held mirror, turn so your back is facing a larger bathroom mirror and take a look at your backside. This will give many a newfound appreciation for that current photo you've been lamenting about.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:18 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times
I just find it easier and less disturbing to not look at all. LOL

Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Yes, for sure! I can't imagine doing a selfie shot and don't get all that. I'm 62, but I feel like a free, happy, 12 year old inside and have found it best to stay away from photos and mirrors. I psychologically just can't make the connection. Glad I am not the only one. I was beginning to think there was something mentally ''wrong'' with me! Looks like I am in good company! LOL
You sure are, I can totally identify! I guess I cracked my daughter up time ago when I was trying to get a picture of two of our little pet birds sitting together on one of my shoulders. I wanted the birds in the picture but not me. I was using the smart phone camera, set it to selfie mode, but try as I might I couldn't cut my head, chins or chicken neck out of the pictures I was trying to take. I told my daughter, when she asked what I was doing, "I want to take a selfie but I don't want me in it."

Old 03-05-2017, 12:35 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I just find it easier and less disturbing to not look at all. LOL
Or save any looking you do for when it's almost dark.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM

13,051 posts, read 15,412,261 times
The day I realized I don't look as young as I think I do was three years ago when I bought some maternity clothes for my daughter. She wasn't with me. When I got to the register I commented to the cashier that they were for my daughter, not for me, and she just gave me a blank look. I realized then that it wouldn't have crossed her mind that they were for me. I mean, just a couple of years before that it really COULD have been for me. I do still think of myself as being physically about 15 years younger than I am.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 PM

6,330 posts, read 5,072,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The day I realized I don't look as young as I think I do was three years ago when I bought some maternity clothes for my daughter. She wasn't with me. When I got to the register I commented to the cashier that they were for my daughter, not for me, and she just gave me a blank look. I realized then that it wouldn't have crossed her mind that they were for me. I mean, just a couple of years before that it really COULD have been for me. I do still think of myself as being physically about 15 years younger than I am.
Well, the other day, I accompanied a friend to the doctor. She is five years older than me. She colors her hair and I do not.

She finished filling out her paperwork, took it to the receptionist who asked if she had filled it out for her " mom". Which I guess would be ME! We laughed and laughed. We know young people see gray hair and think Old Granny.

If you forget the color of the hair, no way do I look older than her!

I think. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or