Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

In my mind's eye, my snapshot is about 45 years old,presentable, youngish middle aged person of average weight, height, pleasant expression. Sooooo very shocking to see myself in a "selfie"or a group photo and there's a chubby, wiry silver-haired person with a saggy and sort of sad looking face. I don't feel sad inside, why does my face have a sad appearance?

Am I the only one who is shocked when I see my photo image and its so different from what I carry internally as my self-image?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
LOL I try to never see myself in a photo because most of them look like an old old lady. I don't feel that way inside. But I know it's me. The body has failed me but the soul is still very much alive !!!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I can totally relate to this! It's the same when I'm out and about and happen to catch a glimpse of my reflection in a window or mirror. GASP!!! Who the heck is that dumpy old broad with the drab gray hair and the cranky look on her face!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Yes, for sure! I can't imagine doing a selfie shot and don't get all that. I'm 62, but I feel like a free, happy, 12 year old inside and have found it best to stay away from photos and mirrors. I psychologically just can't make the connection. Glad I am not the only one. I was beginning to think there was something mentally ''wrong'' with me! Looks like I am in good company! LOL

Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In my mind's eye, my snapshot is about 45 years old,presentable, youngish middle aged person of average weight, height, pleasant expression. Sooooo very shocking to see myself in a "selfie"or a group photo and there's a chubby, wiry silver-haired person with a saggy and sort of sad looking face. I don't feel sad inside, why does my face have a sad appearance?

Am I the only one who is shocked when I see my photo image and its so different from what I carry internally as my self-image?
OMG - YES! YES! YES!

And seeing that photo of me a few months ago at a reunion is what started me on my last weight loss program.

Not that I was huge, I just didn't feel "right". And pics add 10 or more pounds.

My skin is still good and I don't color my hair, but keep it in a stylish cut.

Seems to be working - I was told yesterday morning that I looked so pretty. Made me feel great! I've also toned up quite a bit. Only lost 6 pounds but have added a little muscle and can get back into my size 10 pants.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
It's us, all right.

I was lax for quite a while and now I have these crepey upper arms. Just noticed my upper legs are the same way. It's really ugly. Lines on my face, turkey neck.

And I wonder why people open those heavy store doors for me now. They didn't used to before. Apparently I look like some old weakling. Going on 73 years old and do not like this!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's us, all right.

I was lax for quite a while and now I have these crepey upper arms. Just noticed my upper legs are the same way. It's really ugly. Lines on my face, turkey neck.

And I wonder why people open those heavy store doors for me now. They didn't used to before. Apparently I look like some old weakling. Going on 73 years old and do not like this!
My sister has those arms and is thinking of trying lifting weights.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
I think most of us see ourselves differently, even in a mirror than in photographs.

On a side note, I am starting to notice when I see a picture of an actor that hasn't been around for awhile and notice how they've aged (and maybe not so well)... it makes me realize... we are all in that boat for the most part.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Some people just don't photograph well, really.
I am apparently pretty, always have been. But in photos, my face sort of morphs into a blob with small eyes. Once I had a TSA agent question my ID, and I took off my glasses and cap for him,and he said, "No, I know it's you. It's just not a very good picture of you."
!
That said, I think we all have an internal sense of self that might not show up in photos.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:

I'm sort of the opposite.

I see old photos - "is that really me? Wow, hair is still dark ... heck ... there IS still hair!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement