Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:27 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times

Advertisements

Started working when I was 17.

Now, 61 with 31 years six months with federal government.

My last job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Let's see, I started working for my father as a helper in construction during the summers when I was about 14, our neighbor ran a snowplowing and landscaping business and hired us whenever we wanted a few extra bucks. My first full time job was working as a laborer at a warehouse after I graduated HS in '71. I went to school nights and worked my way into engineering, never unemployed until I was laid off in the 90's. That was the most frightening period of my life, jobs were scarce in my field and my kids were just teens, still paying a mortgage, no insurance, I did a lot of odd jobs and went back to school. But we survived. I finally landed a good job as an engineering staff member for a university, it's been rewarding and thankfully steady and I've been here ever since. I'll be retiring next year, I will have been in the workforce over 52 years, and FT for over 47 years.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
First job: 14, working an old fashioned soda fountain. I did not know how to count change -- so my customers go back some interesting combinations of money.

I am still working and when I FINALLY get to leave the work place, I will have worked for 50 years -- that's a terrible waste of a life

Really? Fifty years and it has added nothing to your life? I'm sure you exaggerate.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Almost all of us in my generation (born in 1944) had jobs of one sort or another when we were in high school, and frequently before that too. Perhaps the children of the upper classes didn't, but I don't think I knew anyone in the upper classes. The responses so far in this thread confirm that.

That practice, which is no longer nearly as common, was a good thing; in addition to the character building it was a way to learn about the world. I feel sorry for kids who missed out on the experience.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
First job: 14, working an old fashioned soda fountain. I did not know how to count change -- so my customers go back some interesting combinations of money.

I am still working and when I FINALLY get to leave the work place, I will have worked for 50 years -- that's a terrible waste of a life
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

Really? Fifty years and it has added nothing to your life? I'm sure you exaggerate.

I don't understand how someone can be 14 years old and not know how to make change, but that's a peripheral issue. Snowtired, I don't know if Red On The Noodle is exaggerating, but one thing I have learned in seven years of reading this Retirement Forum is that, tragically, some people have jobs that they absolutely loathe and which give them no satisfaction whatsoever. Many posters have written that they feel life only begins at retirement. If they really mean that, I find it sad beyond words. Granted, it is a difficult concept to digest.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Some posters filled in the middle, so here's mine too, in an order that comes to mind:
Bakery clerk
Dish washer
Table busser
Vet assistant-one summer, no pay
McDonald's server
College nursing dept admin. assist.
College admissions office assist.
Nursing assistant, hospital
Nursing assistant, nursing home
High school English teacher
Naval officer-intelligence, law enforcement
Crisis center phone counselor
Counselor/psychotherapist
Home health/hospice social worker
Dialysis social worker
electrician's apprentice, fear of heights, uh uh
Flower delivery contractor for holidays
Pet sitter, own business
Retail grocery clerk, part-time
Now: I'm not working for anyone but myself OR not at all!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
First job: 18 years old, shoving carts of boots in and out of a vulcanizing oven. I lasted one day. I got a job as a government clerk a few weeks after that, and stayed there for a couple of years until I decided to go to community college.

Last job: currently working in IT at 70 years old, leaving in a few months but I'll continue working part time as a counselor after that. Bouts of college, graduate school, and unemployment in between -- total years in the work force 42. My first social security check was deposited five days ago.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
I started working off the books when I was about 12 doing odd jobs for a church lady. I got my working papers as soon as I was 14 and have Social Security earnings from that time. I worked in a lumberyard, at a gas station pumping gas, was an apprentice plumber and a busboy in a restaurant while in high school. I was the only one of all my friends with money. Joined the Navy at 18 and got a job upon discharge at 24. My career worked out well and I made some good money, but started to get really tired of working a few years ago. Just got RIF'd and am happily retired at age 58.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Some posters filled in the middle, so here's mine too, in an order that comes to mind:
You've enjoyed all kinds of things, what a great list!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I started at 16, senior year in high school working at a bank. I got the job through taking an ROP class in banking. 40 years later, I retired as an engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement