U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:57 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,041,401 times

Advertisements

My first job was at 14 in the town's sno-cone shop! A few food-service type jobs until after high school; started college as journalism major and went to work in the back shop of a local newspaper in the new "cold type" ad department. Got the newspaper bug big-time; after a couple of years stopped college and went to a competing newspaper working as a computer typesetter; after hanging around and buttering up the news department people, got my coveted spot as a news reporter where I worked, and received several awards for my work, until shortly after I got married...that's when I lost my mind and quit my job to please my new husband! Regretted it always, that was the BEST JOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast forward to married life, a move to Dallas and a divorce, and I wandered into a lawyers office situated close to my little boy's school, and the rest was history! Although in college I made a comment in my journalism law & ethics class that law had to be the most boring subject I had ever studied, the legal field took very good care of me for the next 34 years! During those years I worked as everything but a lawyer...legal secretary, office manager, personnel manager, law firm administrator, and lastly supervisor of a small document production department until my department became a "department" of only one and my job was eliminated. My password there had always been some form of "my last job" and indeed it was, as I intended.

Although retirement came to me about 1.5 years earlier than I planned it, I have to say that living out at the lake in my retirement home, which thank God will be paid off this August, life feels very good to me and I am quietly contemplating what my next activities will be...I am very grateful for all the wonderful people I came to know through my working years, and a lot of those years were personally satisfying ones...although life didn't work out as I planned (had also been a singer before I married, and planned to be rich and famous and Barbra Streisand's best friend...) my life worked out exactly as it was supposed to...and hopefully there's lots more to come, as I have already invited many people to my planned 100th birthday party which is still about 35 years away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM

14,446 posts, read 7,969,639 times
First job at around age 10 baby sitting and a paper route. Last job at 58 looking at death on ventilators at an LTACH. Now I'm a professional fun junkie and bum

Old 03-01-2017, 10:26 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,562,476 times
Default First job? Last job? How many years? Age you started working?

First job, a small lawn care business of my own which parlayed to shoveling snow and waxing cars during the winter for my lawn care patrons. Two years beginning at age 12.

Last job, political and legislative analyst for a state as well as being an office then program manager. Total years of sate service, 25.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,198,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Started working on my own at 12, meaning mowing lawns, washing cars, throwing papers.

First real job: Drain cleaning service I worked part time for at age 16 I was paid 25% of the labor

Second job: Passing out flyers all over Malibu for a Septic Cleaning Service.

First full time job: Muffler shop cleaning and then cutting out the old mufflers and pipes. $3.50 an hour Age 17

Hired full time at the drain cleaning service at 17 and paid a whopping $4.65 an hour plus 50% of the labor after 5pm and on weekends. Made more after hours then I did working during the week.

By 19 I was working in the Oil Fields in Taft California for $13 an hour and I thought I was rich.

had a slew of other jobs by the time I was 24 and then became a manager of a Window Washing company.

After heavy rains killed my money making ability I was hired by a locksmith company and taught that trade at age 26. By 32 I left the Locksmith shop for a position in the Facilities Department at a Hospital as a Locksmith. I am still there after 19 years. I worked my way up and now I am a Project Manager for the department. I plan on being here for at least another 20 years. I will be 71 then. LOL
Not sure what year that was when you were in Taft ... do you recall the service station in Ventucopa ... which, back in the day, had a freakin' attached bar! I once bought a sixer or Coors there for take out. Yup, I cracked one of them puppies and slurped it down to help quell the 95 degree heat, on my way down to Ojai.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 03-01-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,869,503 times
First job in a shoe shop I was 14 working in a bike shop. Last job ended last year Army National Guard/Federal Technician ending when I was 58.5 so total turns out to be 44 years and change. I wouldn't change a single thing.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM

32,142 posts, read 36,785,326 times
First real job at 16 was picking up trash around the local lake for the city and mowing greens at the golf course. Auto Glass business for 20 years and now Real Estate for 20. RE allows me to slowly wind down the years and continue doing as much or little as needed.

One thing I find sad... raising minimum wage in many areas limits teen job opportunities. Automation will also replace many intro jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or