Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times

Advertisements

My first job was working in a very small bakery at age 15. I was the only one in this place and washed all the pots and pans, waited on the customers, and closed at the end of the day. I actually carried a canvas cash pouch of the day's earnings over to the bank 3 blocks away. I made 1.25 an hour and did it for one summer to earn the money to buy a saddle for my horse!
My last job ended in January. I worked from home to see clients for a home health agency.They called me and had no more use for my contract services due to low client census.
At age 62, I worked 47 years total. I am done working for others. I am eagerly looking forward to my first SS check in April. Sweet relief...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:11 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
First job: age 16 Howard Johnson's snack bar, Exit 4 on the Jersey Turnpike

Current and last job: Psych RN at a psych hospital

In between,there were restaurants, factories, a couple of offices, news editing (best job ever!), a rare book library, groom at the racetrack, apprentice in the Carpenter's Union (still have a card for "Brother brightdoglover"), tech writing in software companies (biggest bore ever), medical officer in Army Reserves, RN at AIDS hospice and multiple psych RN jobs before I finally had the sense to return to the big esteemed place where I currently work(came and went four times) and noticed, at age 48, that there was an old-fashioned pension there. I stayed in the plan be sheer accident by staying on per diem status while doing the other things.

I've never not worked since 1969 except for normal vacations. Worked through four post-high school efforts.

I'm tired. I'm ready to be done. Just wish I'd been more prudent with money but oh well.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I kicked around a few factory unskilled labor jobs out of high school and I realised that I will do this forever if I don't get going. I went to jr college but I just wasn't college material, Drafting came easy to me and I wanted to be a draftsman but wound up as a machinist.
I did get a job in a machine shop at this time and I had a real good teacher foreman who really helped.
I was a aerospace machinist during the heyday of the military buildup and space exploration. I don't know what kids who aren't college material do today.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
First job: 14, working an old fashioned soda fountain. I did not know how to count change -- so my customers go back some interesting combinations of money.

I am still working and when I FINALLY get to leave the work place, I will have worked for 50 years -- that's a terrible waste of a life

Old 02-27-2017, 11:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
First job was working first as a pool aide (volunteer, teaching swimming to little kids) at age 14, then paid as a lifeguard (age 16) for the city of Aurora (Colo.)

Had a few odd jobs during college, then one year out of school got a job that I kept for 37 years. Loved the first 35 years of it, had so many opportunities for lifelong learning. Was forced into retirement early (late 50s) when new managers took over the department. Learned from smart people back in the day and got to have some amazing experiences. Not a single regret.

Something to be said for sacrificing and saving for retirement at the beginning of one's career though... no worries at this point for money thank goodness. My kids (now in college) totally get it and both already have Roth accounts started. All things happen for a reason.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Single digits (9 I think) - mowing lawns and other odd jobs for older folks
14 - paper route
16 - telesales / canvassing, fast food, retail
17 - tech, manufacturing (sheet metal, machining, industrial painting, facilities, etc, etc)
18 - contract tech work plus aforementioned blue collar jobs as needed
22 - tech

22 was mid 1980s. Still doing tech. Therefore 30+ years non stop in tech, plus the additional years doing the variety of jobs prior.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
First job was babysitting ....and I was probably 10 at the time (watched siblings and nephews).

First non-family job was selling hot-dogs at Badger Games/ Also worked as a hospital dietary/kitchen aide. Probably was 15.

Last job is this one - government. Will bow out at age 65.5.

Therefore over 50 years working.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
My first job was processing damage claims by farmers. What an interesting job that was: damages to fences and property made by storms, of course, but also by horny bulls and, in several cases, hungry bears. And there were more than a few letters written to the company on brown paper sacks.

After that, my 45-year career consisted of determining title to oil/gas products extracted from wells in or near the property and making monthly payments to those owners. It was both very enjoyable (especially when the owners were dirt-poor, not having the money for phones or even basic necessities like food and medical prescriptions -- and who really appreciated the money) and very sad/disheartening (especially when I saw how money can tear families apart).

Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Started at 12 wrapping muffins for catering trucks. Used cellophane sheets and a heat sealer. Worked 7 days a week after school and weekends.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Family jobs: babysitting, taking inventory at Dad's store
First non-family job: clerk at a five-and-ten
College jobs: clerk in a drug store, tray wrangler in college cafeteria, office assistant
(Then graduate school)
Taught English composition to college freshmen -- 15 years
(Then law school)
Practiced law -- 10 years
Law school professor -- 6 years
(Retired)
Caregiver for disabled husband -- 5 years
Now: babysitting for granddaughter 2 days a week (unpaid only in money), plus helping train nursing students and medical students by being a pretend patient a few days each month (for pay)
Happiest time of my life: right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement