U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Be careful with those studies... many do not consider local property taxes, property insurance, utility rates, and climate related requirements like the need for heavy AC in the southwest or snow removal in some northern locations.

I have found the only way to compare costs is to do an actual study of the location with your particular situation. Do you have taxable retirement income, will you own or rent, is medical affordable in the location, etc.

The general conclusions from the press and my detailed studies of COA have never correlated for the way I live.
I drew the same conclusion. I start with where I live now and they rarely get that right so I assume they are just as inaccurate for other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 AM

823 posts, read 3,374,690 times
How about tornado's in Indiana?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
How about tornado's in Indiana?
They get them too. Not quite as much risk as OK, but they have had some bad outbreaks

Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM

4,078 posts, read 6,419,104 times
Since I retired I have tried two "low cost" areas and I found that although I saved money I sacrificed good services including decent medical care. Secondly, I can't usually find many items I normally use and find myself traveling much more than I want to find those items.
So most of the "low cost" savings go up in smoke for fuel costs traveling to buy goods or services.

Don

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Since I retired I have tried two "low cost" areas and I found that although I saved money I sacrificed good services including decent medical care. Secondly, I can't usually find many items I normally use and find myself traveling much more than I want to find those items.
So most of the "low cost" savings go up in smoke for fuel costs traveling to buy goods or services.

Don
I agree.

We were happy to find that the nearest city has a 'teaching hospital'.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

Don
so says my 'retirement / relocation spread sheet' that has factors for fuel / transport costs for errands, cultural / educational recreational activities, airports, medical, and shopping. It saved my spouse from having to move to central Kansas

Of greater significance was the real estate equity equation where your home value escalation and resale may be very severely restricted in a "low Cost" area. These items take on an additional risk with high energy costs, as the remote spots are less attractive to commuters and you need to carefully weigh the longterm population stability. A region that didn't appear overbuilt may in fact be too big to be supported from only the local jobs. On the other hand, if there are local jobs and a self supporting community, and not overbuilt; it could transition into a very nice 'walkable / sustainable' community.

I seem to be convincing myself to focus seriously at getting my home equity repositioned into income props and renting a very cheap place from myself or in a rural town. I would say finding a campground that can cash flow with hired management in the 'new-economy' and has a spot in the back for a little cabin for me would be just great. Home equity seems to be a potentially poor way to tie up cash. Personal homes are just too expensive to rent out for payments (or opportunity costs, in the case of being 'paid-off') if you have to move and can't sell it. I'm still considering 'co-housing' with a farm for seniors, that way we can share in the work and watching stuff so the meth heads don't carry it all away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement