U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:30 PM

13,275 posts, read 6,356,923 times

Advertisements

Since you have zero interest, do what makes you feel comfortable. I thought the same last year but since changed my mind now that I'm retired. I don't need the money, so why not take a little risk. I'm glad I did. But I love to invest and follow the market. So that's the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,045 times
Will your tax bracket in retirement decrease to the 15% bracket? That would be more motivation to fund the D.C. Maybe put the money in a conservative mix of 40-60% equities and the remainder in a stable value fund or another low volatile fund.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 PM

7,803 posts, read 4,399,284 times
I'm hardly "highly paid"; it's available to all public employees and, yes, is one of the perks. But not if it tanks.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:24 PM

6,982 posts, read 3,879,681 times
If you're already investing the maximum that your employer will match in the 401k and are not thrilled with the choices available to you within it, you may want to consider establishing an IRA to give you unlimited investment choices. It may also be worthwhile to examine setting up a Roth IRA in which you will trade paying taxes today for unencumbered appreciation in the future.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM

7,803 posts, read 4,399,284 times
It's not matched money, unfortunately. And I already contribute the maximum to an IRA every year. It's either Deferred Comp on into the bank at -- what is it? -- .1% interest? I've done well with my investments -- so far.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 AM

4,826 posts, read 1,993,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I plan to work about one more year before retiring and am wondering if I should increase the amount of money I invest in our DC program while I still can. Or is this a bad time to play the stock market?
The stock market is something to play with money that you may not need tomorrow. At sixty something I hope that you are not 100% in the market. Everybody advises against that.

See post #12.
The money that you have in the IRA is long term. The deferred compensation may be money that bridges you to Social Security.
As far as SS is concerned, I was going to wait until 70. I won't be doing that now with so much political uncertainty.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 AM

12,290 posts, read 12,525,000 times
Quote:
It's not matched money, unfortunately. And I already contribute the maximum to an IRA every year. It's either Deferred Comp on into the bank at -- what is it? -- .1% interest? I've done well with my investments -- so far.
I have 4-year certs at my credit union for 2.5% apr. The fractional rates are found at commercial banks that make money off their depositors. Credit unions are nonprofit, so the money goes to you instead of bank shareholders.

Don't keep any money in the stock market that you can't let ride for 5 years. Yes, there will be serious downturns. There always are. As long as you are not in a hurry to get the money out, there is no reason to lose sleep over it.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,411,960 times
Quote:
If Nationwide is one of the companies look at their Fixed Account. It pays a minimum of 3.5% which can change quarterly but hasn't for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or