U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:29 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,462,694 times

Advertisements

My transitioning process was about nine month in all. From July through the end of the year, I have been training my replacement as well as updating the documentation. Starting with the New Year, I have relinquished my responsibilities to my replacement and have only stuck around periodically for those critical items that may require my experience/expertise. Pretty much the past two months, I have been on what I call my "pseudo retirement", (burning accrued vacation time), and have only gone into work one, maybe two days a week.

Yes, time does fly. I remember, and others here probably do too, that I posted a thread three years ago lamenting that I have three years left and how the time is really dragging. I was discouraged! However, everyone said the time would pass very rapidly and that lifted my spirits. The past three years have indeed passed faster than I would have ever believed.

About stress, I think I actually have a lot more. Even though my job was pretty critical and intense at time, I guess I knew it well enough that it rarely induced unmanageable stress.

However, the past few months, have really been stressful. Probably more that I have ever experienced in my life! I have not been sleeping well at all. Usually, within five minutes of my head hitting the pillow, I'm out until the alarm goes off. Not anymore.

I'm sure the added stress is mostly due to the significant 'life changing event'. Giving up a well-paying, secure job for the unknown. Then getting the house ready to sell while having the new on in escrow. Arranging the finances to pay for the new house while my equity is tied up in the old house, (yeah, I did it backward). Sorting 'stuff', (downsizing). Deciding what to donate, what to trash, what to shred, what to recycle, what to haul to my new home? It's all very stressful. Packing is taking 'forever' too.

One thing I would not have believed beforehand . . . I can't believe how incredible busy I've been since I started my pseudo-retirement! How did everything get done while I was working full-time, and with a part-time teaching job?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
I dislike running/jogging, but have done so for exercise. If instead of keeping my eyes on the road just ahead of me, I start looking for the distant finish line, I quickly lose interest and run out of gas.

Getting overly focused on one's future retirement date has the same effect. One who takes their eyes off the job immediately in front of them - and starts anticipating that distant retirement date, will quickly lose interest in the job immediately in front of them and run out of gas.

Daydreaming about retirement does not make it come quicker. It only makes the intervening days seem more tedious.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,522,722 times
In the words of someone on another retirement forum with only ten days to go, "When will this h#ll ever end?" I have seven months left and I hope the time including the last three months goes fast but that is not what I have heard from others and my time is sort of dragging. My management knows I'm retiring although I have not started the HR process but the work has not dried up. I just finished one project and have two more to start and a large project in the wings that I dread. How I would love to be a lame duck! So far I 'm just counting months. Once I get down to 25 weeks, I will start counting weeks. Don't want to get into the counting of days until near the end. I could shorten my retirement date by two weeks and I have about ten weeks of annual leave except I doubt management would let me use all of it given my projects.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM

43 posts, read 31,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I was tasked yesterday to write up SOPs for my replacement. So, I retire but have to "train" them. I was pissed.

I let my immediate supv know that I would retire in December. Haven't said anything to my upper level supervisors as they are notorious for treating departing employees like crap. He will get 23 days notice.

^^^^^This

Is why I won't let them know until the last minute. Company I work for has no regard for their employees. They chew them up and spit them out.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM

154 posts, read 99,893 times
I settled on a firm date 3 months ahead of time and gave them a little under 6 weeks notice (after 30+ years). Was worried a little about getting "piled on" but that never happened. Instead, I pretty much got the 6 weeks to clean up my stuff any way I wanted (the lack of leadership was one reason for retiring early).

It went by really fast, but not as fast as retirement is going!

Old 03-01-2017, 12:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
In the words of someone on another retirement forum with only ten days to go, "When will this h#ll ever end?" I have seven months left and I hope the time including the last three months goes fast but that is not what I have heard from others and my time is sort of dragging. My management knows I'm retiring although I have not started the HR process but the work has not dried up. I just finished one project and have two more to start and a large project in the wings that I dread. How I would love to be a lame duck! So far I 'm just counting months. Once I get down to 25 weeks, I will start counting weeks. Don't want to get into the counting of days until near the end. I could shorten my retirement date by two weeks and I have about ten weeks of annual leave except I doubt management would let me use all of it given my projects.
I counted working Mondays, excluding Monday holidays and planned vacation days. It was amazing how quickly they evaporated during the last six months.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:32 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,809,895 times
Kind of anti-climactic for me. I knew that none of my normal preparations could continue for the next year, since I would not be there. It was in many ways intensely sad since I knew that something I had prepared for and trained for, and then done for 33 years was coming to an end, and would never come back.

I was also working very very hard on all available moments to renovate my house so that I could sell it in the summer after I retired and move very far away from everything I had known from the time I was only 28 years old until I was 62. I eventually sold it in September instead of the summer, and moved on November 2.

I gave notice in January for June 30 for retirement. From that moment forth, I was pretty much treated as if I was actually gone---which has some good things because it protected me from much harassment by management. There wasn't much point when they knew I was retiring.

It hard to believe that that was 6 years ago. Six years before that I had expected to work until I was 70.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
It's hard. Counting down for the last 3 months is hard. Especially when mentally I've checked out for a year.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:17 PM

241 posts, read 226,730 times
I agree it may get boring. The goal is to turn everything over and just act as a consultant. Thanks god for forums....

Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
I decided to retire at my earliest opportunity as my wife was already retired. I scheduled surgery for the last few weeks as I had so much sick leave piled up. That was more enjoyable than my job. My boss was hardly speaking to me at that point anyway because I wouldn't play her game with the state legislature. My absence slowed her down and made her even angrier...I loved it at that point. She did not show her face at my retirement. Other than that my time was spent documenting and finishing projects and preparing my replacement (who already worked for me and mostly knew the job). He outlasted her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or