U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 PM

7,797 posts, read 4,385,889 times

Advertisements

I reached the date a couple of weeks ago when I can retire at any time I wish now. I plan to work another year or so just for a bigger pension check, but it's all gravy from here on out. Not that my job was ever that stressful, but it's a non-issue now. I am finding that it's harder to motivate myself to work, I must say. I feel sort of semi-retired already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 06:04 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,442,480 times
I totally screwed off for at least 3 months.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 PM

1,223 posts, read 4,239,391 times
A couple of years before I figured I'd retire I asked my boss (the CEO) how much notice she wanted when I was ready. I was a one person department and there was no one on staff qualified to replace me - so hiring from outside was likely. She asked for 6 months, so that's what I gave her.

The first three months went pretty much normal. When it got to the last three, it seemed as if time started speeding up...and sped up more as my retirement date neared. It was as if one day I had a month left to go, and the next day I was retired!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,037,294 times
I am 2 months and 4 days from retirement. My work has known for about 2 years of my plan, but that is mainly due to a reorganization in which I told them I would be retiring when eligible, so it made no sense for them to physically relocate me to another area at their expense as I would be gone 1.5 years after the relocation was completed. They agreed. I telework most days and drive to the far location once a week, on the clock.

I have not filled out the paperwork to formally retire, but should this month. My supervisor knows of the date.

Time for me is going fast as I have a bunch of projects they want me to do. Just today they asked if I would continue to work for them as a retired anuent, part time retiree, or as contractor for a new year long project they want me to do. Two weeks ago they assigned me a project for another office that did not have an employee with the skills to do it, and I am pushing to finish this project before I retire.

I think as they look at the skill set that I have and the work they need done, they want to have me do as much as possibly before I leave, and its been this way the past 2 years.

BUT they also let me telework 4 out of 5 days a week, and if I continue after I retire I will move 2100 miles away and they are ok with that too! They just want work done, and done right.

So my time is flying, but it always does when I am super busy.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
My company was going through the merging with another company thing and it was hel$ working there. I'd been through many downsizings and this time I knew it was going to be ugly and never really recover - it was and it didn't.

So, when my boss interviewed each of us and wanted to know how we would be impacted if we were downsized or if we were interested in leaving I surprised even myself and said "Sign me up." I just couldn't stand going in every day - people were getting so backstabbing and ugly. I really felt I was wasting my life. Glad I did it. I made the magic numbers for retirement so~~~~ see ya!

That was months ahead of time and I didn't know when I'd be officially done until right before but I started checking out as soon as I said I was ready - no new projects - no stress of any kind. It's kewl when you know you don't have to do it much longer, all the everyday stuff that use to drive you bonkers just doesn't matter anymore.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I was tasked yesterday to write up SOPs for my replacement. So, I retire but have to "train" them. I was pissed.
I gave six month notice of my intent to retire specifically for purposes of succession planning. I had a particular skill that really needed to be passed on and it would take several months to train someone to handle it effectively. The powers that be dithered until a week before I was scheduled to disappear and then said they had someone for me to train. I laughed at them and gladly left on the appointed day.

For the next few months I received numerous phone calls and emails requesting information and assistance. I gave it in terms of short, easy answers but would not give them the benefit of 20 years of institutional memory. Finally they gave up on me but the pension checks still get directly deposited nine years later.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:59 PM

655 posts, read 309,648 times
The place I work will not accept a notice long enough to cover my vacation accrual. . . so guessing one day I will go on "vacation" for a few weeks and tell them some time after. Seems opposite of what they would want you to do . . .

Congrats OP!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 AM

412 posts, read 262,030 times
As soon as I gave my three-month's notice, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and felt a weight lift off my shoulders. I turned down new projects, unless they were very short-term, so I could have time to wrap up or transition the 26 projects I was managing. Although I still had the stress of helping my mother, who was dying of cancer, and my disabled father, I was so much more relaxed!

My husband didn't make it easy on me, as he hurt his back when I still had two months left. The poor guy could barely stand or sit. I drove him to physical therapy and doctor appointments and cleared the driveway myself through a snowy several weeks. He had back surgery exactly a week before my last day.

Thankfully, my boss and coworkers were great, and the lack of new projects gave me the flexibility to run my hubby and parents around.

Several months after I left, my boss asked me to come back part time on a temporary basis to write the final reports for a couple of larger long-term projects that I managed. I wrapped those up last spring. Since then , I received two or three calls regarding projects of which I have institutional knowledge. All has been quiet lately, and I expect it will stay that way.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I gave six month notice of my intent to retire specifically for purposes of succession planning. I had a particular skill that really needed to be passed on and it would take several months to train someone to handle it effectively. The powers that be dithered until a week before I was scheduled to disappear and then said they had someone for me to train. I laughed at them and gladly left on the appointed day.

For the next few months I received numerous phone calls and emails requesting information and assistance. I gave it in terms of short, easy answers but would not give them the benefit of 20 years of institutional memory. Finally they gave up on me but the pension checks still get directly deposited nine years later.

I cannot give notice until after 12/15 (or they will cut or even do away with my yearly bonus) and I want to be out the door mid-January. Like you, I have a specialized job that is critical to the running of the firm and no back up whatsoever (meaning I am the only one that has a clue how to do this job).

I envision them either dragging their feet or not being able to find someone (this job totally sucks -- a "professional" job but there is NO paid time off, no vacation pay, not even holiday pay -- strictly hourly, no benefits).

I am not willing to waste my time on a constant barrage of phone calls after I'm gone. It will finally be MY time and they cannot afford what I charge for MY time. Since I have no pension or any benefits -- it will be very easy for me to walk away and ignore them.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,809,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
She did not show her face at my retirement. Other than that my time was spent documenting and finishing projects and preparing my replacement (who already worked for me and mostly knew the job). He outlasted her.
MANAGEMENT decided to eliminate my job when I retired to save money. Since I made my job look so easy(a problem with all my work over the years, since nobody ever saw all the work I did behind the scenes) they figured that anybody could do it.

And my two associate in parallel levels to mine were told that they would be picking up my work since it couldn't be that hard since I never chaffed at it. They were so angry that they decided that if the worked with my on my caseload and hit the ground running that they would never get rid of the job. So they didn't do anything. My caseload got horribly underserved, and eventually management hired somebody to replace me again.

But it was very hard for me when I was leaving. None of my associates would meet with me, and so all my work was left to rot away.

I've had a lot of jobs like that. The big one I had in retirement was one where I was being asked to put in more hours than anyone else in the organization and I was a volunteer. For that, every other committee chair(the ones who all did way less than me) was give a place on the board of the non-profit 99% volunteer organization. When I realized that they were going to continue to use me like a slave, I gave them 17 months notice, knowing that they would wait until the last minute to find a replacement. I was told by several members that anyone could do my job and that they would have no problems replacing me. It now been 3 years since I gave my 17 month notice. They have yet to find anyone who does what I did. They have a new guy with the same title as me, but from what I can see, he does nothing at all like the support that I provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or