U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 931,277 times

Advertisements

I gave about three weeks notice and took two weeks of that as PTO. I also said no to any sort of farewell party,which is traditional in that company. I figured the last 2.5 years they put me through so much stress that I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of them coming around to shake my hand and wish me good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,934,527 times
I cut three months (with 2 1/2 weeks vac time) to...3 weeks. Chckie-poo who became full partner working only 2 days a week for 10 years, now wanted me to alter my vac'n plans so her daughter's graduation preparation could be carried out while she was home. I'd had enough. I gave the corp my revised retirement, 3 weeks later. Pffft. (btw, good timing. She got just what she'd been asking for for years - I still have the phone message recorded detailing the showdown - too bad I missed it - oh, wait...it'd a never happened while I was there. Oh well.)

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 760,883 times
i got crabbier and crabbier, i got short tempered, even made one of the staff cry. not my finest hour. but as my retirement day approached it all seemed to be so absurd. anything i was working on i wasn't going to see to fruition so it seemed silly to spend my time working on policies/procedures, dealing with problems, etc. prior to that my work was going to make a difference, towards the end, not so much.

my boss was assigning me projects that weren't going to start until AFTER my retirement date. WTH? i was anxious to get out despite the fact that i had enjoyed/loved my job up until i was so close to being done. it was weird.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times
I gave my office 2 1/2 months notice that I was going to retire. Every few days, I asked when they were going to start interviewing for my replacement so I could train him/her. Soon, soon. Then I'd ask a week later. Soon, soon. Ask, ask, soon, soon.

On my last day, they asked if I could stay for another month. Nope, going to be on an airplane to paradise in 48 hours.....won't be back for four months. Sorry. Here's every piece of info the new person needs to do the job. Hope everything works out. Bye-bye.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:59 AM

6,401 posts, read 4,174,894 times
Have they changed the Labor laws to reflect that vacation time accrued is a part of your compensation? Some people here have stated that they couldn't leave until they took their vacation.

Sick time is different, because it cannot be scheduled in most cases. Use it or lose it.

I am going out in June and I have between 5 and 6 weeks accrued that I expect to get paid for.

For the last 5 or so years my company has been pushing for maximum productive time from us, getting worse as time went on. We are field service employees who have to be ready to go to a customer's site on a moments notice with a two to four hour response time max. To increase productive time, they made us get trained on other modalities so that we can fill up our time, but it also makes us scramble when a remedial service call comes in. A lot of our "productive" time is scheduled preventive maintenance. The customer cannot use the equipment during the scheduled time. Since I have put in for retirement, I have been looking at the over 300 hours of accrued sick time that I have and asked my boss if he wanted me to start using it, if that would help his productive numbers. He said, "Why would you care, you are leaving?" So, I stopped caring!

And now they don't plan to replace me, just shift responsibility. Now my current customers will have to wait, while the only available personnel will have to travel around the DC beltway and then some to get to their down system.

So, when someone is looking for help on one of the "new" modality(to me) service calls I don't even respond. I guess I am already doing my part to let them know how it will be after I retire.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 AM

7,797 posts, read 4,385,889 times
I am torn between tacking my accrued time onto the end (that is, either getting paid for it or essentially just leaving early) or to using it gradually or all at once, midway through in the months before retiring as preparation for retirement and then returning to work until the end. But it's a good problem to have!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,652,666 times
I retired 5+ years ago. The 3rd and 2nd month out seemed to take forever, but the last month flew by, though I couldn't tell you why. It might be - I gave my boss 3 months notice because I was in a senior position and replacement would likely involve relocation, and he decided to announce it company wide against my wishes [if I had it to do over again, I'd have given 2-4 weeks notice]. I had to confront hundreds of questions about retirement for 3 months that I'd rather have avoided, including some (not all) jealous/resentful co-workers.

I vividly remember each task I performed for the last time, various monthly meetings, reports, audits, etc. - being conscious that 'I'll never have to do this again' made me smile every time.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 AM

538 posts, read 284,491 times
At my former company one had to give six months notice to receive additional benefits like a bonus for each year served (I had 37 yrs.) and 5 months paid additional health insurance before transitioning out. There was also a monetary reward simply for giving them enough time to prepare everything apparently.

I gave my notice nine months before leaving as new management had come in and .... well it was not a good place to work anymore and it seemed to be getting much worse with every passing month ... new manager told me I was getting a new job description that she could not tell me about (though I never actually received anything), then they cut my pay though my job performance was as high as it ever could have been from the previous manager, then they took all of my assignments away so I'd have nothing to do. The new hires were not shy about making ageist comments (fortunately there were witnesses), my complaints to HR turned into retaliation and threats (no surprise, but needed to do that to have a record)...

I was simply shown the exit one morning, was told they didn't need me any more, even in light that I had given an official retirement notice. I had already hired an attorney a few months before so all was documented in minute detail including sworn statements from other employees/witnesses; needless to say the company didn't want to go to court and we reached a settlement. In less than two years, of the 10 original employees (all but three had 25+ years experience there), most of us were forced out, a few quit on their own.

My last three months absolutely sucked. In fact, the whole year after the excellent manager was fired, it sucked for the rest of us.

Take home from the experiences was that I got myself past the anger and frustration more quickly than I thought I could. I worked there for a very long time, grew tremendously and was given awesome opportunities to learn, further my education and enjoy things many people never get to do in their jobs. And those memories are what I hold dear. I couldn't care less what happens there now, not my problem.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,581,770 times
My doc just gave me a month off due to job stress. More if I need it. You guys are lucky you didn't have to work with high school kids at your/our age.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:50 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
My doc just gave me a month off due to job stress. More if I need it. You guys are lucky you didn't have to work with high school kids at your/our age.
Kudos to anyone that does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or