U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times

Advertisements

I just signed up for annual recertification classes. Been doing this every year since 1986! and now it's the last time. The countdown continues. Not exactly the last three months, but being under a year is really feeling like the homestretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 AM

538 posts, read 284,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
My doc just gave me a month off due to job stress. More if I need it. You guys are lucky you didn't have to work with high school kids at your/our age.
Wow, really sorry to read that Rich. When your health is affected to that point then you need to do some serious soul-searching. Best of luck to you. I have a photographer-buddy who just retired from teaching high school courses in the Denver Public Schools a year ago. He said it was definitely time to hang it up.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,580,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Wow, really sorry to read that Rich. When your health is affected to that point then you need to do some serious soul-searching. Best of luck to you. I have a photographer-buddy who just retired from teaching high school courses in the Denver Public Schools a year ago. He said it was definitely time to hang it up.
When the doc asked if I wanted two months off I said, "Doc, I feel better already!!" This is my last year anyway.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:50 PM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
It's sad that so many are so miserable in their jobs; it shouldn't be like being paroled from a jail sentence!

Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,241,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's sad that so many are so miserable in their jobs; it shouldn't be like being paroled from a jail sentence!

Thank God it's not life without the possibility of parole

Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
You must be excited Rich. I was waiting for the ax to fall on me for over a year. I was given special treatment at work which was only supposed to be temporary, but lasted about a year and a half. I was literally working for a few days before I decided to quit the job. At the time I was a bit depressed about it, but it was also a great relief because I worked crazy hours towards the end. Our schedule ran a month at a time and I was a few days away from the new schedule when my new manager came up to me and said that I needed to pick a 12 hour shift. I said Um, no thank you. I quit. I honored my last days on the schedule and walked out the door. At first it felt like a vacation, but as the months passed it began to sink in. Free at last. Free at last, with a tad bit of guilt for giving up 4 to 9 years of additional pay to retire early. I've learned that money comes and money goes, but life goes way faster then you can imagine. Enjoy yourself Rich. You've earned it.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM

538 posts, read 284,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I am torn between tacking my accrued time onto the end (that is, either getting paid for it or essentially just leaving early) or to using it gradually or all at once, midway through in the months before retiring as preparation for retirement and then returning to work until the end. But it's a good problem to have!
If you have an option to tack onto a COBRA plan (if not eligible for Medicare) you'd have the extra cash in your pocket to pay those premiums.

I had over 8 weeks of vacation and it became handy in paying premiums. They wouldn't let me take vacation in the last year I was there and so it has worked out pretty well that way.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,696,178 times
Quote:
If you have an option to tack onto a COBRA plan (if not eligible for Medicare) you'd have the extra cash in your pocket to pay those premiums.
Those who are nearing or past 65 and still getting health insurance from an employer need to be careful -- you have 8 months (as I recall) after terminating employment to sign up for Medicare Part B, else there's a stiff penalty. COBRA doesn't count as continuation of employer's insurance.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:56 PM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:

I had over 8 weeks of vacation and it became handy in paying premiums. They wouldn't let me take vacation in the last year I was there and so it has worked out pretty well that way.
I won't need COBRA; I'll have 100% insurance through my employer. Once Medicare kicks in (I'm still in my 50s now), that contribution goes toward supplemental insurance and Silver Sneakers. Guess I'm pretty lucky!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:17 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,696,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin1 View Post
I retired July 1 and did not sign-up for Part B or Drug Coverage within the 60 day period. After I did sign-up, I've been penalized about $20 per month for the delay.
Here's the Medicare page on the penalty:

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...t-penalty.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or