U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:31 AM

538 posts, read 283,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I won't need COBRA; I'll have 100% insurance through my employer. Once Medicare kicks in (I'm still in my 50s now), that contribution goes toward supplemental insurance and Silver Sneakers. Guess I'm pretty lucky!
Great that your employer does that for you, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:37 AM

653 posts, read 308,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I am torn between tacking my accrued time onto the end (that is, either getting paid for it or essentially just leaving early) or to using it gradually or all at once, midway through in the months before retiring as preparation for retirement and then returning to work until the end. But it's a good problem to have!
How about a little of both? I am thinking I will take a lot more vacations during that last year and then leaving early on "vacation" until retirement. Not quite as mentally satisfying somehow but better financially to have me continue on the employee health plan than to take a lump sum payment (taxes!) and go on the slightly higher retiree insurance right away.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 PM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Hmmm. No change in my insurance payments when I retire, but good point about higher income/taxes!

Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
I filed on December 23 to retire on February 26 (a year ago). My boss took off on December 23 through New Year's, so I figured I would tell her in the New Year.

On January 2nd I fell down some stairs at a friend's house and badly injured myself. I could not go to work for three weeks, and I didn't want to tell my boss over the phone that I had filed for retirement, I felt I should tell her in person, but I was laid up...and then finally, I HAD to tell her on the phone. It was OK. She had been expecting it to some extent.

So, once I was back in the office, I only had about six weeks left at my job, and it went by quickly. I had about 4000 emails that I had to archive in the appropriate electronic files, as well as other filing, paper, too, but mostly electronic because hey, it was 2016. My successor was my assistant manager, so he already knew almost everything he had to know.

The saddest part was putting together the address list for the traditional "farewell email" to people I'd worked with in the agency, because as I went through the global Outlook list, I realized how many people I DIDN'T know anymore. After 37 years, so many of the people I'd worked with in the past were already gone. It just strengthened my resolve that it was time to cut out, though.

The last day, I walked out of the building and toward the train station, and I could just FEEL the weight lift off. It was a wonderful sensation. I was DONE.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:26 PM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
\
The last day, I walked out of the building and toward the train station, and I could just FEEL the weight lift off. It was a wonderful sensation. I was DONE.
Every time I drive up the hill to my job, I think of how many times I've done this (have come and gone four times since 1981, stayed since 1999) and what it will be like to do it for the last time. I am among the oldest of my "group" of co-workers and will be among the first to retire. Of course, many people just keep working past a reasonable retirement age, which I don't understand, since they have been in the pension system for a good long time, some longer than me.

I do look forward to a feeling like the above poster has. A weight that you didn't know you were carrying lifting. DONE.

Well said.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Every time I drive up the hill to my job, I think of how many times I've done this (have come and gone four times since 1981, stayed since 1999) and what it will be like to do it for the last time. I am among the oldest of my "group" of co-workers and will be among the first to retire. Of course, many people just keep working past a reasonable retirement age, which I don't understand, since they have been in the pension system for a good long time, some longer than me.

I do look forward to a feeling like the above poster has. A weight that you didn't know you were carrying lifting. DONE.

Well said.
My boss is still there. She is 6 years older than I am, and she has been there for 42 years. Her husband is retired, they have no children, they are set financially, and I know he wants to travel. No one understands why she stays. Some people become institutionalized, like the old guy in the library in The Shawshank Redemption who didn't want to leave the prison when he got paroled.

It was a year last week. I have no regrets about leaving when I did, never have.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:44 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Because I could leave now but am opting to stay another year (that income will pay for my RV in retirement, and the extra cashola in my pension check can be a gym fee until Silver Sneakers kicks in), I'm getting a lot of flack about "being scared" or not wanting to retire. I would hate to be so miserable in my job -- for 20 or 30 years? -- that I busted the door down getting out at the end of it. Also, as another poster mentioned, I need time to get my photo albums and e-mails from this computer organized and transferred.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,402,413 times
My last three months went quick. I faced a mandatory retirement due to an agreement I had signed five years prior so it was no surprise to anyone.

I had a good job with good coworkers. My projects had been transferred so all that was left was the daily grind.

I was throwing myself a pity party in my head the last few months. A lot of projects were coming due, nothing adverse, just stuff, and I was wishing these deadlines would be after I retire. Then one day a revelation hit me. An email came out with another change in policy. Nothing bad, just a function of growth but people don't like change and as a manager I will have to deal with it until everyone gets adjusted. The effective date of the change was June 1. I was retiring in May. I won't be here! I don't have to deal with this! It was at that moment I realized all those deadlines I was complaining to myself about will continue on just in a different version. The workplace will go on with the same good and bad stuff in one never ending cycle. I just won't be there anymore!

I was thinking about if I should save some key files I developed to a thumb drive "just in case", and if I should call my successor after I am gone to see if he needs help. I decided no to both. Transferred all my files to him and he asked if he could contact me. I said sure.

Since I retired he emailed me once and another coworker called once to ask me something. These were both about two weeks after I was gone. After that-nothing.

Retirees are allowed to attend the continuing education classes for our license offered by the employer. These are planned months in advanced and I signed up for one that I knew I would be held two weeks after I was retired. I had only been gone two weeks but I could not wait to get done with that class. Why am I here kept running through my head. I was also the only one there not getting paid.

I get home from that class and my successor texts me. He asks if I can come to a meeting tomorrow. It is a long standing committee that I was involved with for decades and they want to give me a plaque. I go to the meeting, get the plaque, they say nice things to me, wish me luck, I say the same...total round trip time from when I left home to arriving home was one hour. I felt just as awkward as the class the day before. Retired two weeks yet back at the office two days in a row.

There is a small informal group of senior people that I would have lunch with about once a month. We would share what was going on in our respective areas. I wanted to attend after retiring as I figured I would keep up with what is going on. I do attend but guess what? Now I don't care about what is going on. I would rather talk about families, kids etc since most of us watched our kids grow up together...

I had much less trouble detaching from the workplace than I thought I would have.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,267,992 times
My company (big player in its field, thousands of employees) offered the 28 of us in a very small unit, a RIF offer (NOT early retirement and not a buyout, according to HR). 16 slots would be cut, so some people could stay, if not enough chose to leave, those on the bottom would have been cut. There were no sweeteners of bumped-up pension or health insurance until 65…just the severance and other payouts: vacation, etc that our contract said we have to receive. Luckily, there were 16 volunteers -- so no one was cut.

Our last 3 1/2 months from offer notice until the effective RIF date March 1st -- for the 16 who left -- was all of us just going through the motions and putting in the time waiting for the days to pass. Oh, sure, we worked and did our jobs. But all of us were MORE than ready to go. Heck, we wished they'd said -- about a month in -- you can go a month early and we'll pay you. But that didn't happen. So we all had to work until the last day. But our hearts weren't in it -- at all. OMG we were just anxious to leave. We were soooo done.

Of the 16: one was going to have retired in Dec., but waited 2 months to get the RIF severance money, three were going to leave in 2017 anyway. The rest of us grabbed the money and ran…because we knew if we stayed -- the operation would be run differently…they'd want the same productivity out of fewer people, and "to heck with that."

Old 03-13-2017, 02:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,935,353 times
I'm in my last three months of work right now. My retirement date is June 2 and I can hardly wait. I've always detested my career (college professor), and I find it almost impossible to force myself to commute and put in the hours every day. But I have no sick days remaining and have to slog it out. At least I am my own boss, really, and my Dean and the administration of campus have left me totally alone once I formally submitted my retirement papers.

I have never looked forward to anything in my life as I am looking forward to retirement. So much stress will instantly vanish and I feel like I will finally be able to live life fully and with complete abandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or