U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM

538 posts, read 284,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I'm in my last three months of work right now. My retirement date is June 2 and I can hardly wait. I've always detested my career (college professor), and I find it almost impossible to force myself to commute and put in the hours every day.
Congratulations, you're almost there!

You could try to make yourself a countdown calendar... I saw someone do that once and she said it was the best part of her day... coming in in the morning and crossing off one more day. Dunno, might help you? Good luck and hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,442,480 times
Like this?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

538 posts, read 284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Like this?
HA! That is great, yes... like that!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
Quote:
I have never looked forward to anything in my life as I am looking forward to retirement. So much stress will instantly vanish and I feel like I will finally be able to live life fully and with complete abandon.
I was listening to a "happiness expert" on the radio the other day. He said he never looks forward to anything, because that's the one sure way to rob it of its joy. Don't we put too much "pressure" on retirement? When I hear people talk about it like it's paradise, I always think they're setting themselves up for disappointment. You should never be so miserable in your current condition that you put all your eggs in one basket as your last hope. You should find and enjoy SOME positive aspects of your work life while it lasts (for instance, being your own boss is huge), and should also the realistic expectation that retirement won't be all sunshine and roses...

What are your plans for retirement (just curious)?

Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,581,770 times
Quote:
I'm in my last three months of work right now. My retirement date is June 2 and I can hardly wait. I've always detested my career (college professor), and I find it almost impossible to force myself to commute and put in the hours every day. But I have no sick days remaining and have to slog it out. At least I am my own boss, really, and my Dean and the administration of campus have left me totally alone once I formally submitted my retirement papers.

I have never looked forward to anything in my life as I am looking forward to retirement. So much stress will instantly vanish and I feel like I will finally be able to live life fully and with complete abandon.
I work in a high school and will retire in June. Want to trade places for the last 3 months?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM

6,876 posts, read 7,276,074 times
Speaking of a countdown calendar…..16 of us left at the same time….so one of us who was a serious sports fan, sent out email countdowns everyday based on famous player numbers in sports.

For example, he did graphics and found the jersey or race car photos….it was a nice cheery daily update -- AND gave us something to debate -- because while my list below shows alternates, he picked ONE player per number. So for example, on day 16 when he might have just picked Joe Montana -- the guys debated who deserved the countdown honor more and who was best: Montana, Brett Hull or Pat LaFontaine….sports fans are always debating the best player to where a certain number

I think he counted down the entire last 90 days…. sort of like this…one each day

Day 53 -- No. 53: Don Drysdale, MLB
Day 51 -- No. 51: Dick Butkus, NFL
Day 53 -- No. 53: Don Drysdale, MLB
Day 49 --No. 49: Ron Guidry, MLB
Day 44 -- No. 44: Hank Aaron, MLB
Day 43 -- No. 43: Richard Petty, NASCAR
Day 42 No. 42: Jackie Robinson, MLB
Day 40 -- No. 40: Gale Sayers, NFL
Day 16 -- No. 16: Joe Montana, NFL (or No. 16: Brett Hull, NHL or No. 16: Pat LaFontaine, NHL)
Day 15 -- No. 15: Bart Starr, NFL
Day 14 -- No. 14: Pete Rose, MLB
Day 13 - - No. 13: Wilt Chamberlain
Day 12 --No. 12: Tom Brady, NFL (or No. 12: Terry Bradshaw, NFL or No. 12: Joe Namath, NFL)
Day 11 -- No. 11: Mark Messier, NHL
Day 9 -- No. 9: Gordie Howe, NHL
Day 7 -- No. 7: Mickey Mantle, MLB (or No. 7: John Elway, NFL)
Day 9 -- No. 9: Gordie Howe, NHL
Day 7 -- No. 7: Mickey Mantle, MLB (or No. 7: John Elway, NFL)
Day 6 -- No. 6: Bill Russell, NBA (or No. 6: Julius Erving, NBA)
Day 5 -- No. 5: Joe DiMaggio, MLB
Day 6 -- No. 6: Bill Russell, NBA (or No. 6: Julius Erving, NBA)
Day 4 -- No. 4: Bobby Orr, NHL (or No. 4: Lou Gehrig, MLB or No. 4: Brett Favre, NFL)
Day 3 -- No. 3: Babe Ruth, MLB
Day 2 -- No. 2: Moses Malone, NBA (or No. 2: Derek Jeter, MLB or No. 2: Brian Leetch, NHL)

….on down to Day 0 -- No. 00 Robert Parish

I'd come in to work and ask him, "…so "who's today's number?"

Ans as for saying a person should not look forward to retirement, I totally disagree. No one is saying put off everything you want to do until retirement. But I see nothing wrong with acknowledging that while I'm grateful for many things while I'm working -- that "yes. I can't wait to retire." This: "He said he never looks forward to anything, because that's the one sure way to rob it of its joy."……seems to be a blanket BS statement some psychologist came up with to sell books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or