U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:09 PM

239 posts, read 154,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post

How did you go about finding your retirement home if it was several states away?

We were from NJ too. The first person to put a bug in our ear was a bus driver who clued us in to the reasonable tax rate in Delaware. While on vacation at the Delaware beaches, on a rainy day we started visiting one of many new housing developments that were going up. We liked what we saw and heard. BUT, we were still actively employed. A year later, we spread our wings and started checking out more developing communities and we stopped and spoke to home owners to get their take on their builder and their neighborhood. We decided we wanted an energy efficient home, so we narrowed it down to a specific builder. Then, we visited every community where that builder was active, making trips down about twice a year for two years. Knowing we were a year from retirement, we locked in a lot and a price and signed a contingent contract. Then, we got busy preparing the New Jersey home to put on the market. We retired and put the home up for sale. The home sold, we closed, put the money down to get started building. In the meantime, while we were homeless, we visited family, traveled to FL, then rented an off season condo near the the construction so we could daily keep an eye on the house during the last month and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 PM

196 posts, read 141,542 times
Poster Larry Caldwell have a good sense of humor and logical thinking. Great combination ! Wish you the best

Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 12,402,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Our home and 44yr marriage are perfect. We have never been happier. We have had much physical pain, stress and emotional loss (deaths of loved ones), over the years. Our lives have leveled out, we often tell each other how fortunate we feel to still be together. One never knows when a health emergency could happen. But now we choose to be happy, and revel in our window of time when ours lives seem perfect to us.
For us it was 40 years last May and it just keeps getting better.

A year ago we sold our south Georgia single family home, purchased a single floor condo (ok, it has a second floor third bedroom loft) back in Ohio and moved. The biggest reason for the move was family, it is where nearly everyone is. Now we can visit 80% of family members with a 30 to 45 minute drive and the grand children are but 10 to 15 minutes away.

I love condo living; it's the best set up and I don't have to worry about any repairs or maintenance outside my drywall. Being Ohio I don't have to worry about snow shovels or any of that other stuff either. Great neighbors and while we are not a 55 community I would guess 80 to 90% of those living here are 55 and older.

Very solidly built 20 years ago our utilities are about half of what we had in Georgia which goes a long way towards covering the HOA fee.

First class hospitals (OSU Medical Center is 40 minutes away), doctors, dentists, church, restaurants and great shopping is all within 20 minutes.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 PM

3,100 posts, read 827,905 times
Most on this thread seem to plan on a post-retirement move. Makes sense, for that IS the thread topic. Mathjak I believe opted for staying "home." Maybe others? Curious, I quickly googled to find (top-4 hits):

Quote:
Three out of 5 Americans want to spend their golden years in another city or state, according to a national Bankrate survey. A majority said they’d be interested in moving, regardless of gender, income and education, though wanderlust did seem to fade with age. ... The survey, which was conducted to help build Bankrate’s “Best and Worst States to Retire” list, found that 73 percent of people between 18 and 29 would consider a move when it’s time to stop working. That rate drops to 62 percent for people ages 30 to 49, then to 50 percent for ages 50 to 64. ... Among survey takers age 65 and older, only about 1 in 5 said they would consider moving.
60 Percent Of Americans Want To Retire Somewhere Else | Bankrate.com
Quote:
The first surprising finding from a new study by the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts is that only a tiny percentage of seniors move during their 60s (about 1% per year). ... Historically, retirees generally moved from their own home to a nursing home after they were no longer able to care for themselves. But more seniors today are moving than in the past. The likelihood of moving has roughly tripled within each age group of retirees between 1968–1984 and 1996–2011 (even though the percentage among young seniors is still very low). The most dramatic trend in the 21st century is the sharp rise in moves to senior housing by younger (age 65–74) retirees in the highest wealth groups. More young, wealthy retirees are deciding to sell their homes and transition into an environment tailored to retirement living.
http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/06/...6304170&page=3
Quote:
Like Brown, the majority of retirees are staying put after leaving the workforce. In 2008, the overall migration of Americans reached its lowest point since World War II, according to a recent Brookings Institution analysis. Of the 36.8 million people ages 65 and older, only about 1.4 million—roughly 4 percent—moved to a new locale, according to the Census Bureau.
https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...ter-retirement
Quote:
During the last recession, many older Americans felt stuck in place, having seen the value of their investment portfolios and homes plummet. As the economy bounced back, so too has what one demographer calls the senior migration rate, the percentage of Americans ages 55 and older who make local and long-distance moves domestically. Last year, the senior migration rate reached 5 percent, marking a return to pre-recession levels, according to an analysis of Census Bureau data by William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.
https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/06/most...head-here.html

Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 PM

195 posts, read 106,718 times
I did a lot of looking in different states, made spreadsheets using data from CD, took weekend trips to check these places out and then wound up moving to Florida because that is what my husband wanted to do. My parents moved here about 35 years ago and in all of years I've been visiting them I always said I would never live here. Never say never.

Four years ago I bought a fixer-upper here that has a gorgeous view in the back of a pond and beyond that a golf course and the most beautiful sunsets. I remodeled the house inside and out. This morning an agent that I know was having an open house down the street from me so I went by to say hi. The house has an equal view but has a better layout for taking my mother in to live with us should it become necessary, so I made an offer on it. And here I thought that today was going to be just like every other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or