Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:16 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times

Advertisements

I did. I knew I was going to retire in March, but I planned to keep working part-time. But then it happened. This over-powering thought came over me that I was DONE. I did not want to work for anyone any more. Even contract work. I just wanted total freedom from anyone's schedule other than my own. Just a quiet, inner voice said, ''No''.
If I bring in a dime other than SS it will be from my own resources. Maybe this is a phase or at some point I may have to return to work. But for now it feels right and so good!
Did you have a ''defining moment'' where you just knew you were done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Actually, I've been "done" for the last 2-1/2 years, but something unacceptable happened at work about 6 weeks ago that did it for me, then and there. And the only reason I haven't turned in my retirement notice yet is because I've not been able to spend time figuring out finances and insurance. So, yes, my defining moment has hit me but the preparations are prolonging it.

And I, too, am determined to make it work.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:36 AM

708 posts, read 577,627 times
I did...I went to work one day and got a call from the owner of the company I had worked for 18 years...she was lax in handling her responsibilities...again, her alcoholism affecting every aspect of her life, now affecting my life. I had to lay off my last 2 employees. She canceled my health insurance with 2 weeks notice, told me she couldn't pay for the office I was in and I had to move back into her home. I was left to do it on my own.... I just couldn't take it anymore and I literally just folded. It went down hill from there. Had enough of her cr@p and split the scene. I am so happy to be out of that. I'm on a strict budget, but it beats the stress of working for an alcoholic.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
My problem was, if you're a teacher or professor (as I was), you can't just have your "defining moment" and then give two weeks notice and be out of there.

If you're unfortunate enough to have your "defining moment" early in the academic year, you still have to complete the academic year according to your contract. You still have to be a professional, and show up, and do your job, for nine more months until you can retire.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Several years ago. With at least another year and half left to go. UGH!!

Old 03-04-2017, 12:39 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Maybe you would not feel low if you changed your attitude. Retirement is not about being "done". It is about a new life, new adventures, new opportunities, new achievements and new goals.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:45 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Up to a year before I retired (Jan 2016), I was just happily cruising along in my job. I was mildly bored for about three years, but it was OK. I was well though of, got top evaluations and my boss basically let me run my own duties. I was planning to retire this May (2017).

Then in Feb. 2015 things changed for the worse, big time. Our team, boss included, was transferred to a different section of Social Services and we were under the Manager from hell. I was given a Public Guardian caseload that increased my workload by 50%. Every time there was a placement change or a new guardianship this manager would ride my behind until the task was done. I applied for Medicare in March. When I got the card I showed it to my boss and said if things got much worse, this is my ticket out of here. My boss said "I envy you".

Things got a little worse, but my previous manager told me how to handle The Manager from hell. Made things tolerable. With a cooler head and encouragement from Mrs5150, I did the math and figured I could make it to my FRA. So I retired in Jan 2016.

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-04-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
No one moment. I think the more defining thing was deciding to move to Colorado in retirement and realizing I should do that earlier, not later, in the flexible timeline I allotted to retirement. If I wasn't moving, I could see sticking to a part-time schedule for years to come and having lots of money relative to the budget I will be on by leaving next January and moving West. But I really want to move West and really want to stop working. I think I've been done for a long time with the difficulties of my job, but I couldn't face it when there was no option but to keep working. As I got closer to the age and idea of retiring, it got a lot more real.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
When I had a hard time getting over a wall during an Alarm Red when I was deployed. I knew it was a young persons game and it was time for me to step aside. I didn't want to be a burden to others.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Not a real crisis moment, no. I just knew for a long time that I was not one of those people who needs a job to feel worthwhile. As soon as I thought I could swing it, even just barely, I quit. Even though it meant I went w/out insurance for several years. So I have less money than I might otherwise have had, but I feel so much richer. I can't imagine ever regretting it, and it's been ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement