Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Obviously starting this thread was a mistake. Moderator, you can close it now.
Sometimes, these threads don't go the direction one expects them to go; but, sometimes, anonymous strangers can provide insightful feedback about things we had not considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I would be surprised if an employer would grant a sabbatical to a person age 66 who qualifies for a pension. Here, it would be up to the immediate supervisor, based on the needs at the time to be able to get the work done. For someone so close to retirement to go on leave without pay for 6 months and have to hire a temp, without knowing for sure whether that person will ever return or will decide to retire just doesn't make business sense. If the request came to me, I would agree to maybe one month.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The company I retired from had several thousand employees. On a main bulletin board they post retirements and obituaries. One obvious thing happened, the ones that retired before normal retirement age made it 15-30 years in retirement, but those that retired at say 65 and older almost all died with in a few years.
I agree that retirement can be a shock to the system but so can work. There are some who run out of steam at a relatively young age and those who continue to work well into their 70s, some beyond that, and live long and prosper (with apologies to Mr. Spock). I retired in 2008 at age 62 because I was tired of my job and work in general. I'm now going on 71 and still kickin'.

Each of us is different. Some let their work define them. I did not. Those who do tend to work longer, especially if they are in tenured or similar positions. Some hate their jobs and can't wait to leave. I did not but I knew when it was time to go. As with most things there is no "one size fits all."

Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 PM

260 posts, read 234,644 times
I retired at 66.5 and took a sabbatical of 18 months. I'm back at the same job now but different hierarchical structure.

It is a lovely feeling to know that I could leave any time. Lack of autonomy is the biggest stress in a job and that is no longer the case for me.

I am proof that a sabbatical is sometimes an awesome idea if feasible.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sometimes, these threads don't go the direction one expects them to go; but, sometimes, anonymous strangers can provide insightful feedback about things we had not considered.
Or sometimes anonymous strangers contribute nothing but snark and ill-will.

You had a choice of which way to go. Own it.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:33 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would be surprised if an employer would grant a sabbatical to a person age 66 who qualifies for a pension.
Tech companies generally don't have pensions.

Sabbaticals aren't unusual here. Giving senior staff unpaid leave is a lot easier than trying to find a qualified replacement.

At any rate, I planted the idea in his head. I expect it went straight to the mental bit bucket.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
It seems to be that your husband would rather be at work than at home. My suggestion is to let him do his thing and you do yours.
People need to come to their own self-awareness as to what is satisfying to them and when to retire.
But of course you already know that.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:32 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
I was seeing DH, who is 66, off to work this morning and as with every morning he was groaning and making faces. I told him, "Look, if you decide you want to stop doing this, we'll find a way to peacefully co-exist without me turning homicidal because you're home all the time."
This is a bit telling to me the reader. He doesn't appear to love going to work, yet he does despite that he is old enough for retirement and (from your later message) he can afford to not work. Additionally, your comment to him to "find a way to peacefully co-exist", well that to me exhibits a reluctance on your part to share more time with him. You might explore if there is something more underlying, the reason being....

Quote:
Then I had a thought. "Why not take a six-month sabbatical? They won't pay you for it but we can afford it. Some time away from the job may be just what you need to make up your mind."

Did you take a sabbatical? Did it help?
This could be disaster if you consider it a negative experience to be together more frequently and don't find common interests and to make it positive.

At 54 and after 35 years of work (more than 40 years of consistent work if you consider time I worked during high school and college - never a day of unemployment) I decided to take a permanent sabbatical (some may call it retirement). My wife did too. We are now month 13 and still not itching to go back to work. She has her interests, I have mine, but we also enjoy time together.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The company I retired from had several thousand employees. On a main bulletin board they post retirements and obituaries. One obvious thing happened, the ones that retired before normal retirement age made it 15-30 years in retirement, but those that retired at say 65 and older almost all died with in a few years.
Would seem strange that "almost all" died within a few years. But logically, the longer you work the less years you have in post-retirement years (there is a hard end for everyone). Someone who retired at 50 and lived to 80 had 30 years post retirement. Same person who works to 70 only have 10 years post retirement, so certainly less years. Not everyone has means to retire early either. However your statement is interesting timing. We had a friend who recently passed. He was to have retired on a Monday and passed away the Sunday before. It was a shame that he never had a chance to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:24 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Just because a person retires does not mean they can't go back to work in some capacity: self-employed, contract, part-time, even full-time.
I'm betting most would not go back, but at least they have the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement