U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:25 PM

7,107 posts, read 8,145,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
We are about to escape to freedom; closest house 1/2 mile away, raw land all around us. No local jobs. No people. No problems. No kidding.
I hear ya!

We bought 33 acres in a remote part of Maine. We do hear the loons out on the lake, the birds chirping, the wind howling through the trees, and the soft sound of snowflakes falling.

If we get tired of that, we can get to the "big city" (Bangor) in about a half hour. Not often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 AM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Peace and quiet is great but what happens when you can't drive anymore? I lived in rural areas for a good portion of my life and it was a great change for me to go urban. I can walk almost anywhere I need to go.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:58 AM

42 posts, read 40,157 times
I think about this trade off often. I generally don't like people in my face, and noise and general disregard for others peace really t-s me off.

I saw my grandparents move to a rural area. As they became more and more dependent, I always wondered why they did it. We had to drive 20 miles out of suburbia to take care of them. That was almost daily. Where I live, it is a coastal town that doubles population in summer. I have small stores and restaurants (and the ocean) within walking distance. Its a noisier in the summer, but as I head into my latter years, I think the trade off for services withinin walking proximity will be appreciated, and I can overlook the summer noise.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am basically asking for advice about selecting a retirement home. If the choice is between a secluded property with a nice view three miles outside of town, and a "so-so" home in town with no view, which would you suggest, and why?

(We are introverts to whom peace and quiet is VERY important, but we also want to be practical.)
You don't have to move to a rural area to get peace and quiet. You just need to be very picky in selecting a house with enough seclusion.

Although I do live in the city (no well or septic systems for me) my lot is on a cul de sac that backs up to a 20 acre park. My back yard is private and adjacent to the yard is a creek that runs year round. As a result, at the back fence, we get a lot of wild creatures: foxes, coyotes, deer, hawks, raccoons, and tons of birds. Where I live, the purpose of the fence is to keep the wild critters from eating our dogs.

In spite of that, I'm within 2 miles of everything that I need including two hospitals with trauma centers.

I choose to not live in a secluded rural area because most have very limited medical resources. Furthermore, I expect that trend to continue. Medical resources follow the money.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:56 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Peace and quiet is great but what happens when you can't drive anymore? I lived in rural areas for a good portion of my life and it was a great change for me to go urban. I can walk almost anywhere I need to go.
Once we get to that point we move into a facility. I cannot see walking to the doctors or walking home with a bag of groceries when I am 85 anyway.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 AM

13,312 posts, read 25,542,533 times
It depends on why one cannot drive. My father stopped driving at around 84 because of eyesight but still walked two miles a day until his diagnosis at 87 of pancreatic cancer. He certainly could have walked around a more urban area or walked to a bus or such.

I think if one moves into a facility, there is no need to walk elsewhere, as services/eating/etc. are either on-site or transport is provided.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM

241 posts, read 226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Then you move and change your plan/approach. We plan for multiple phases in retirement.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
My husband and I have often joked that when we retire we will go find an island on the beach somewhere. Now, we're still about 15 years or so out before retiring but as we plan it's becoming clearer to me. Will I really want to be out of the U.S.? Will I want to be far away from my kids and grand kids? Will I want to be far from things like family, friends, health care and stores, etc. As I get older I don't think we will be moving to some secluded island, but maybe just have a second home there

Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 AM

2,215 posts, read 2,032,891 times
I guess I was lucky. I live 45 miles from services, and we all have at least an acre. It is quiet and dark at night. Stereos occasionally, but not late at night.
It will not work for old age because of no services. So I'm looking to move if I can find anything that works for me in town.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am basically asking for advice about selecting a retirement home. If the choice is between a secluded property with a nice view three miles outside of town, and a "so-so" home in town with no view, which would you suggest, and why?

(We are introverts to whom peace and quiet is VERY important, but we also want to be practical.)
We just moved OUT of a house with an incredible and rare combination of pretty seaside scenery and good walking convenience to services and recreational access, BACK TO a rural area. We had lived a long time in the outer, rural fringe of a metro area 10 steep, winding, slow miles from services, and in a snowy microclimate to boot. After a few years of enjoying no snow, mild temps all year, and water fun, we decided the tradeoffs to living in a city, town, or suburb were not enough to make up for the loss of privacy, quiet, dark night skies, space, wildness, and independent mindset/culture.

Three miles outside of town is nothing. Go for it. Convenience is almost never worth the tradeoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or