U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 9,152,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Peace and quiet is great but what happens when you can't drive anymore? I lived in rural areas for a good portion of my life and it was a great change for me to go urban. I can walk almost anywhere I need to go.
I have a three word answer to your question: Self driving car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
actually...That's a comforting thought,

I'm rural, so depend on wheels. I sure hope they have 'retrofits' available by the time I need one. I don't plan on ever buying a 'new' car, I'll just be nursing this gal along for the next 20+ yrs.

...it would be tragic to actually have to buy Dinosaur fuel, after 40+ yrs of 50 mpg on free WVO.

One of our hosts in Germany demonstrated a 'self driving car' to us this yr. Since they have such SMALL garages and narrow streets... it was pretty fun to have him 'fetch' the car via his cell phone, and it would open the garage and maneuver itself to the street. Seemed to work pretty well in traffic. (tho I will never have to deal with traffic.)

Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 4,169,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Except that true self-driving cars don't exist. And they may never exist within our lifetimes. I wouldn't make any long-term plans that depend on vaporware in order to work.

Three miles out of town is hardly living in the boonies, though. The OP may already have local transportation options available that would make living there feasible without needling to drive. He certainly ought to check before making any firm decisions either way.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM

4,127 posts, read 2,587,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My husband and I have often joked that when we retire we will go find an island on the beach somewhere. Now, we're still about 15 years or so out before retiring but as we plan it's becoming clearer to me. Will I really want to be out of the U.S.? Will I want to be far away from my kids and grand kids? Will I want to be far from things like family, friends, health care and stores, etc. As I get older I don't think we will be moving to some secluded island, but maybe just have a second home there
All of those things you mention have been discussed many times here. Lots to think about.

BTW, we did move to an island (Maui) when we retired. We have 2 acres with lots of fruit trees, bananas, coco palms, big garden. We love it.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 AM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
[quote=Aredhel;47385930
Three miles out of town is hardly living in the boonies, though. The OP may already have local transportation options available that would make living there feasible without needling to drive. He certainly ought to check before making any firm decisions either way.[/QUOTE]

Three miles outside of town/amenities, you could likely find a local person who needs a few bucks to drive you back and forth. Maybe a stay-home mom, or a retired driving person, or anyone who is picking up side jobs for whatever reason.

My sister (66) does this to supplement Soc. Sec. She will pick up kids from school, or take an elder to the hairdresser or whatever needs to be done. She lives in a densely populated suburban area.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,397,312 times
You might also keep in mind that you may not always be an "introverted couple," but that one of you might be left as an "introverted single," in which case total isolation might become too much of a good thing.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:33 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,677,435 times
Speaking from experience, three miles out is the right choice...maybe five. Fifteen is a little bit of a barrier to spontaneously going out for coffee or lunch or the bookstore. Where I live it is so quiet that I sometimes go out to see if I missed the rapture.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,397,312 times
More than mileage, I think you have to look at the neighborhood itself. I currently live in the city center, a block from restaurants and shops, yet my little alley is dead as a door nail. I felt much more exposed and as if I had less privacy in the "sleepy" suburb six miles away from where I am now. Really depends on the area. Being within walking distance of needed surfaces certainly has its advantages.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:41 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,997,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
All of those things you mention have been discussed many times here. Lots to think about.

BTW, we did move to an island (Maui) when we retired. We have 2 acres with lots of fruit trees, bananas, coco palms, big garden. We love it.
Very nice! I do love Maui!!

Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 9,152,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Except that true self-driving cars don't exist. And they may never exist within our lifetimes. I wouldn't make any long-term plans that depend on vaporware in order to work.

I expect to live longer than five years, God willing. I am 67.

True self-driving cars will arrive in 5 years, says Ford

Self-driving Fords that have no steering wheels, brake or gas pedals will be in mass production within five years, the company said Tuesday.

These cars will be very different from the current models of self-driving cars that Ford and other companies are now testing. Those vehicles still have space for drivers, who are expected to take control of the cars in case problems arise. Ford says its goal is to have true self-driving cars in which everyone inside is a true passenger.

True self-driving cars will arrive in 5 years, says Ford - Aug. 16, 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or