U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 03:24 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am basically asking for advice about selecting a retirement home. If the choice is between a secluded property with a nice view three miles outside of town, and a "so-so" home in town with no view, which would you suggest, and why?

(We are introverts to whom peace and quiet is VERY important, but we also want to be practical.)
Choose on the basis of access to services and health care. You need good docs and hospitals when you are older. That is a basic thing, I think.

You also need a stable neighborhood with good jobs. You don't need the jobs, but your fellow citizens need them. If you move to a town with a horrible economy, you will have more crime and services will be fewer.

In my opinion, you also need an active and well funded library.

IMO, installing yourselves far away in the country, away from good medical services will require you move sooner than you imagine, if one of you develops a chronic condition, or has a health reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 03:36 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
"Choose on the basis of access to services and health care. You need good docs and hospitals when you are older. That is a basic thing, I think."

That is, if you plan to spend your retirement in doctors' office and hospitals. In my view, too many have been programmed to make their golden years an unending quest to extend them. I avoid doctors like the plague now and plan to continue that practice then. When it's my time to die, at least I'll have lived -- and enjoyed my life -- first. Proximity to medical facilities will not be my first priority. A gym, an ocean, a university, public transit, an airport, a dance community, a library, a hiking and biking trail, woods, theatre, ballet, a spiritual home -- yes.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 PM

6,593 posts, read 1,357,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Choose on the basis of access to services and health care. You need good docs and hospitals when you are older. That is a basic thing, I think."

That is, if you plan to spend your retirement in doctors' office and hospitals. In my view, too many have been programmed to make their golden years an unending quest to extend them. I avoid doctors like the plague now and plan to continue that practice then. When it's my time to die, at least I'll have lived -- and enjoyed my life -- first. Proximity to medical facilities will not be my first priority. A gym, an ocean, a university, public transit, an airport, a dance community, a library, a hiking and biking trail, woods, theatre, ballet, a spiritual home -- yes.
I absolutely agree with this! -- and, to everyone, thanks for your opinions and advice!!!

Old 03-03-2017, 03:40 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Quote:

That is, if you plan to spend your retirement in doctors' office and hospitals. In my view, too many have been programmed to make their golden years an unending quest to extend them. I avoid doctors like the plague now and plan to continue that practice then.
This ^^^^^ !

Old 03-03-2017, 04:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Imagine this scenario. You have a incident in your home. perhaps a fall, perhaps getting locked out when something is on the stove.

In the "big bad city" it's not too difficult to shout and have neighbors hear you and come to investigate. Or if you must go to seek help, it could be as close as a few yards away.

In the sticks? Good luck with that!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:30 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Quote:

No one starts out with a plan to do such.

However, time has a way of putting us all into our places.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,145,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
No one starts out with a plan to do such.

However, time has a way of putting us all into our places.
But to choose to retire in a place based on medical care instead of being where you are happy is a sad way to spend the last 25% of one's life. If at age 65 you're a wreck physically then it might make sense, but otherwise, no.

Be happy and take your chances. A lot of people die before they need continuous medical care. So not all. Further, is living a lifestyle where your hobby is doctor visits and hospital stays any way to live? Maybe if you fear death and want to hang on to life as long as possible.

We live rural and live in one of many places that is a semi-paradise. The fact we have a good regional hospital with a helicopter pad 25 minutes away is a side note. Was never a consideration.

Quote:
Imagine this scenario. You have a incident in your home. perhaps a fall, perhaps getting locked out when something is on the stove.

In the "big bad city" it's not too difficult to shout and have neighbors hear you and come to investigate. Or if you must go to seek help, it could be as close as a few yards away.

assuming you have urban neighbors who care. Not always the case or if they can hear you above the noise of the city.

For a dollar a day you get this: https://www.lifeline.philips.com/saf...en_v4k8_google Yes, it works rural vis landline or cell.

Lifeline. A common and widely available service. And of course there is my cell phone in my pocket. "Hi 911! I just fell and can't get up. Would be so kind and dispatch an ambulance to my address?"

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-03-2017 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 PM

4,094 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Quote:

Locked out? Nah, never lock the door out here in the sticks. Leave the keys in the car too.

Shout to the neighbors? If they can hear me, I can hear them. I can live without that.

An aid car does take longer to get here. It does make you take self reliance a bit more seriously. But I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:42 PM

13,232 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Come back and tell us in 15 years how it's working out.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 PM

241 posts, read 226,814 times
Quote:

Odd presumption. I find our country neighbors extremely accommodating and very willing to help in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or