U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,576,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unlike a lot of people here, I don't hate people. I live in an affluent zip code so my neighbors aren't trailer trash. I live on a private lane with lots of green space around me so I'm secluded without needing to own a million dollars worth of land to get it.
Wow. Nobody here said anything about hating people. I am not sure why you are so upset that some of us like to live in a different environment and with a different style than you. It is not that big a deal, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,036,019 times
Honestly, 3 miles from town is such a short distance (at least in my neck of the woods.) I would, for sure, pick the peace and quiet location in this situation. Worst case, you could pay someone to drive you to the store and medical appointments in the event that cabs aren't available. I've made arrangements to do just that in the future, and already do so for hospital or doctor appointments requiring anesthesia (although those are 45 minutes away.)

Old 03-05-2017, 10:10 AM

5,430 posts, read 2,830,519 times
People create normal noises that some of us don't want to live near. They don't have to be trashy people to have barking dogs, loud voices, or drive in and out early morning or late at night.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
I live now ten miles from a superior community hospital, staffed largely by people who outgrew the downtown big boys and moved out of the city (Mass General, Brigham, etc.) I can get a referral downtown if the smaller hospital cannot do something. There is the senior van to the doctors' offices or downtown if need be, which hasn't happened yet.

I admit to feeling cautious about moving to an area with few services but that's one reason I am doing it while youngish (I'll be 65 on the nose) and healthy. The community hospital is 24 miles away and has a new cancer center. I will make sure I have Medflight coverage in my Medicare plan to the next level (88 miles away) or the big city (Denver, 300 miles). If I had ongoing medical problems, I'd have to rethink it. I admit I feel some trepidation after living in medical mecca for so many years, outside Boston, a taxi ride from the world's best and now only 30 miles from downtown.

That said, I've never needed that level of care except for a major car crash when I was 23 in town. A resident surveyed my slashed face and said, "I'm only a resident. I've been awake for two days and I've never done a face. Do you want a plastic surgeon?" I said, (not yet an RN), "Hell, no, you're a doctor. Go ahead." Over two hours, he very carefully put in 35 stitches in my face. I was told later that no one could have done a better job (and I sent a nice letter).

There was always a scar of sorts, now almost gone. I got a big $5k from the drunken driver's insurance because I was a "disfigured single female." And see, I'm still single so they might have been on to something.

My one experience with Boston's best.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
No you can't, but that is not the point. The point is to not center your life on medical care. It is not easy for me to go to the doc because for one thing, I don't have a regular doc, and for another thing the nearest clinic is 30 minutes away and it is hard to get an appointment. So I pretty much don't go.

I had a terrible ear ache a couple of weeks ago and probably would have gone to the doc but because it was so hard, I didn't. Ear ache went away and all is fine. And then I gashed my arm in the yard and should have gotten stitches but didn't. It healed and all is fine. But if I have something serious I will probably go in and have it looked at. But there is a lot of low level stuff that I figure, what's the point?
Exactly... We've all been brainwashed to run to the doctor for every little ache and pain and down handfuls of pills every day. Add to that "preventative care" and "well visits" (going to the doctor for no reason at all), and you have modern medicine. As a result, such things as antibiotic-resistant bacteria is on the rise and endanger us all, and health care costs rise out of sight. The body actually has amazing powers of self-healing if given the chance, rest, and time (what we used to do for health care fifty years ago). Not all of us buy into this. Personally, I wouldn't even pursue chemotherapy or radiation therapy if diagnosed with cancer (little known fact: these "treatments" kill as many people as the disease does). I would instead enjoy the time left to me. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Odd presumption. I find our country neighbors extremely accommodating and very willing to help in anyway.
Right. They will help ... if you can contact them.

I'm basing what I write on people I know.

Some on long drives, well back from the road. The next place is 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.

It's great living that way when one is still vital and ambulatory. After that? Not so much.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM

2,740 posts, read 725,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unlike a lot of people here, I don't hate people. I live in an affluent zip code so my neighbors aren't trailer trash. I live on a private lane with lots of green space around me so I'm secluded without needing to own a million dollars worth of land to get it.
It's not a question of hating people. Is someone who goes on vacation to an isolated place a misanthrope and the city traveler is a true lover of humanity? Someone who doesn't want to see/hear/be inconvenienced by neighbors or prefers scenery is entitled to their preferences without being branded as a people-hater!

And an affluent zip code has nothing to do with it. There are affluent neighborhoods where kids and teens run amok and can be quite disruptive of the peace and quiet some people want/need. I knew someone who lived in a very expensive community that was a neighbor to a professional football player. You want to talk affluent? This guy was a millionaire many times over. But classy and considerate he wasn't, whether it was riding around his property on ATVs, having tons of kids (many baby mommas) running around screaming, and building structures that were not even allowed by the homeowner's association.

Geoff, you are fortunate to have found what you want. A private lane with lots of green space and seclusion without spending a fortune may be ideal for you...and many others. But in many locales, this can't easily be found. In my area, even homes in affluent zip codes are McMansions and cluster homes without much land.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM

3,694 posts, read 1,870,935 times
I lived out on 5 acres in a nice house. So much noise! Neighbor was off-grid and ran her generator all the time, folks down the road off-roading all hours of day/night, wild parties. People going up and down gravel roads 50 miles an hour.

Never again.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I lived out on 5 acres in a nice house. So much noise! Neighbor was off-grid and ran her generator all the time, folks down the road off-roading all hours of day/night, wild parties. People going up and down gravel roads 50 miles an hour.

Never again.
yep - my sister lives on 60 acres and can still hear the neighbors squalling.

her daughter lives down the road and she really can't see her neighbors, but you sure can hear her kid's heavy metal super loud music. I couldn't believe it!

And for some reason, there are people that move out there so they can do whatever they want. One group sets off explosives for fun!

So just be careful where you go - make sure there are restrictions - even though you say you hate them - they can be useful.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yep - my sister lives on 60 acres and can still hear the neighbors squalling.

....they can do whatever they want. One group sets off explosives for fun!
Yeah, our 'pyrotechnic' neighbors got a little carried away one 4th of July (~2000), and the resulting explosion blew out all their windows. We are 1 mile (and one large hill) away, so were saved from the percussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or