U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:57 PM

7,907 posts, read 5,031,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I lived out on 5 acres in a nice house. So much noise! Neighbor was off-grid and ran her generator all the time, folks down the road off-roading all hours of day/night, wild parties. People going up and down gravel roads 50 miles an hour.
5 acres has become something of a default area for a large residential tract, in the exurbs or near-rural region. My township has an ordinance prohibiting partition of larger tracts into anything less than 10 acres, but even so, 5 is the standard. Many of these properties are "bowling alley lots", extending ~800' deep behind the road, but being proportionately narrow, such that many residential lots can be crowded abutting one road. But even with a more or less square 5-acre lot, with dense forest separating adjacent houses, 300' driveways and the like, noise can still be oppressive. Generators, off-road vehicles, outdoor parties and the like, are amazingly effective and compacting the distance. I myself am guilty of such transgressions, tuning my hobby-car with its exhaust system removed.

In sum, even some fairly substantial acreage may be insufficient for true peach and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM

42 posts, read 40,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yeah, our 'pyrotechnic' neighbors got a little carried away one 4th of July (~2000), and the resulting explosion blew out all their windows. We are 1 mile (and one large hill) away, so were saved from the percussion.
yep - all summer long the "summer people" on the road behind me blow off professional fireworks. Meanwhile, the beaches are a couple blocks away...go down there! They are literally a fire hazard to my house with aerials going off over my house. You can't shut the windows, turn on the ac and sleep. Call the cops, nah... when and if they finally show up these people have the uncanny ability to be quiet.

I love fireworks and have blown off my share. There's a time and a place.

Also, my wife works a nursing job and is exhausted and gets up at 5 am....come on! Talk about rich "trash"...they probably never worked a real job in their lives.

Again - I love this area but also miss quiet and peace (5 months of the year!)

Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,298,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Peace and quiet is great but what happens when you can't drive anymore? I lived in rural areas for a good portion of my life and it was a great change for me to go urban. I can walk almost anywhere I need to go.
Driverless cars will soon by available, problem solved.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Could there be a compromise? We live in-town in a town of about 5,500. We carefully picked our neighborhood, which is mature and with few young kids or teens.

Our home is on only 1/3 acre, but we're slowly turning it into a nature preserve. We've lots of birds in the trees and hedgerows. We don't use insecticides on the plants or grass.

Our neighbors are delightful and kind.

It's very quiet here at night. And we can walk or ride our bikes to just about everything we need. We could live without a car if need be.

So in-town living need not be noisy or unpleasant. A lot depends on the neighborhood and older, quiet neighbors...

Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 PM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I have a tiny yard and I think it's very quiet. Nobody's home in the day time. Everybody is busy working to earn a living, I guess. No noise. City of 1/4 of a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or