U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,178,706 times

Advertisements

We seem to have drifted off topic again. Oh, by the way for anyone interested I am a woman. A couple posts referred to me as He.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,225,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
We seem to have drifted off topic again. Oh, by the way for anyone interested I am a woman. A couple posts referred to me as He.
Sorry, arwenmark. I did not mean to derail your thread, but rather to emphasize that those who are relying on senior housing to stretch their social security check may need to keep their eye on this.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:32 PM

29,819 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There is currently a HUD document that proposes to cut senior housing assistance by approximately 10% and housing assistance for the disabled by 20%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.42e41dbbf502

Also, the proposed replacement for the ACA significantly cuts funding via block grants for Medical Assistance - including Long Term Care services.

Prempt: This is not fake news.
People need to pay attention to what the implications of the proposed package would have on seniors. LTC is something that is a real moving forward issue for society.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,045,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
SSD

SSI is "welfare", and you MUST be age 65, and under severe low or no income (like no more than $3k if married or $2k if single in the bank) before you can get it. You can get Medicaid for insurance, and must apply for any other programs (such as SNAP (food stamps) etc.
This is incorrect. SSI can be paid to anyone who is disabled, but does not have enough work credits, in the recent required time frame, to get SSDI, and who also does not have assets worth over $2,000 (above the exceptions allowed). There is no age limit on it.

So, it works as a form of social security disabilty.

If you are on SSI as a disabled person, when you turn 62, you must apply for regular social security retirement.

If you had enough work credits to get SS retirement benefits, but this amount is lower than the poverty level, etc., then you will also receive SSI, as a supplement to your regular social security retirement benefit. You would then receive two separate payments - one for your SSA benefit, and a separate one for SSI as a supplement.

Anyone who receives SSI, is eligible for Medi-Caid. In California, it's called Medi-Cal.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,466,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We sat down the other day with retirement planners. NOT financial advisors... but actual planners. They call themselves fiduciaries and yes, they charge for their services if you sign up with them. I was looking for strategies for when to claim SS, when my spouse (who is 2 years younger than I) should claim SS - and when to
dig into the 401K.

I think there's not enough of this kind of planning out there. We would be guessing a lot and probably causing ourselves harm..

The company has this as it's charter: To deliver comprehensive wealth management solutions through a team of independent planners and an industry-leading network of Financial advisors, Social Security experts, Medicare experts, Real-estate professionals, Mortgage officers, Insurance agents, Accountants, Estate planners and Attorneys.

Provides retirees and those planning their future retirement with a range of financial planning services. Offers comprehensive retirement plans and client education through the accumulation and distribution phases of assets. The team of advisors focus on saving and allocating funds in order to assure retirees will have sufficient resources throughout all stages of retirement. The company analyzes Social Security benefits, 401(k) accounts, pensions, and other relevant retirement accounts.

I know there's a lot of guessing going on out there. I would think this would be a boon industry.
I think this is called a "fee only advisor" (not to be confused with a "fee based advisor"). I think you can get the best information from such planners/advisors.

I think this is the way to go for people who expect to have some financial assets in addition to social security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I believe their fees are pretty high though. They take a certain percentage of what is earned.
I think you're referring to something called a "fee-based advisor" rather than the above "fee-only advisor".

As you point out, it can be expensive (a few thousand bucks) and doesn't make a ton of sense for someone on SS only who has no financial assets. I imagine it could make sense for someone, say, in their 50s who is trying to figure out what her life will be like in her late 60s.

These fee-only advisors don't merely look at the income side of a person receiving only SS (or primarily SS). They also look at the expense side -- and can give advice to the pre-retiree who is trying to figure out how to make ends meet. It should go beyond the obvious "well, you need to cut your expenses" to real, actionable advice.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,466,890 times
Quote:
There is currently a HUD document that proposes to cut senior housing assistance by approximately 10% and housing assistance for the disabled by 20%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.42e41dbbf502

Also, the proposed replacement for the ACA significantly cuts funding via block grants for Medical Assistance - including Long Term Care services.

Prempt: This is not fake news.
I'm a bit of a cynic with regards to proposals of this type. Sometimes they are written to generate campaign contributions from all manner of lobbyists, and the authors know full-well that these proposals will be heavily modified before or killed outright. The authors are fine with modification & killing the proposals, so long as they generated campaign contributions and PR.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:57 PM

1,165 posts, read 654,140 times
NightBird, check with your city or municipality or county about your repairs. I know of areas where they have loans which do not need to be repaid if you stay in the house 15 years or more. Under that and the loan would need to be repaid. The one I know of, they get their money from the doc stamps or fees one pays when they register a deed or mortgage.

The ones I know of have income limits. A wealthier person would not be elligible. I know people who have dealt with this and had a very nice experience.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think this is called a "fee only advisor" (not to be confused with a "fee based advisor"). I think you can get the best information from such planners/advisors.

I think this is the way to go for people who expect to have some financial assets in addition to social security.

I think you're referring to something called a "fee-based advisor" rather than the above "fee-only advisor".

As you point out, it can be expensive (a few thousand bucks) and doesn't make a ton of sense for someone on SS only who has no financial assets. I imagine it could make sense for someone, say, in their 50s who is trying to figure out what her life will be like in her late 60s.

These fee-only advisors don't merely look at the income side of a person receiving only SS (or primarily SS). They also look at the expense side -- and can give advice to the pre-retiree who is trying to figure out how to make ends meet. It should go beyond the obvious "well, you need to cut your expenses" to real, actionable advice.
Yes, sorry, I did get my terms mixed up.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
What is the name of your dental plan?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,038,496 times
Quote:
You've just named a bunch of federally subsidized programs. It's probably good you retired when you did.
Frankly, I would rather have my taxes pay for these "federally subsidized programs" for people who need them than have them finance unnecessary wars which I have no say whatsoever about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or