U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:07 PM

449 posts, read 341,874 times

Advertisements

Something you could do all night that now takes you all night to do is not one of the advantages of getting old 😋
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM

153 posts, read 104,898 times
George Carlin will answer that for you.

Be prepared for swear words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOJY3fjvcsQ

Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,043,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I really like the senior discounts, particularly on food. Still a bit disappointed that they just give it it to me and don't ask for my ID though.
They stopped asking me too!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:26 PM

9,185 posts, read 3,028,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There aren't too many, especially in this youth-worshiping culture. One advantage, obviously, is SS, and of course Medicare. And getting into movies, etc., a little cheaper.

But recently I discovered another advantage -- you always have an excuse if you make a mistake, or forget something, or aren't fast enough.

This is usually just a joke with my friends, but I actually tried it today, and it worked!

I was in a liquor store, taking a while deciding what to buy. Eventually the lady came over and asked if I needed help. I said "No, I'm just slow. I can't help it, it's because I'm old."

Well she felt so sorry for me, she gave me a hug and some chocolate!

This was an Indian lady, and they probably respect elders more in India. So maybe it won't work every time everywhere.

And I didn't get a discount on the liquor so I can't say it worked wonders. But it was nice.

Gonna keep using that excuse.

Except not at work, that wouldn't go over so great.

Speak for yourself. I'm older than you, but I don't forget anything and I'm still plenty fast. If you keep killing your brain cells with liquor and eating junk food like chocolate, you'll decline even more.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,060,155 times
The biggest advantages for me have been mostly internal:
  • I know more about who I am, what I believe, what I want, etc. I generally trust my own counsel and judgment.
  • I don't suffer fools much. Have good radar and better wherewithal to fend off empty wells, advantage takers, negative Nellies and Neds, energy drainers and I-me-mines much better than in younger years.
  • I've ridden and driven enough of life's rough road that I have better coping skills than when younger. I still fear there will be a time or event(s) that will make a liar of me on this belief, but so far it has been true. Never easy, but I'm better equipped to deal.
  • I can speak up and advocate for myself better than I used to.
  • I feel abundant gratitude for all that I have and have had. I have always felt much compassion for others. As we celebrate the best things in our lives, we also wish those things for other deserving people who are going through difficult, challenging times.

For the external:
  • Thank goodness for retirement and the reasonably good health to enjoy it.
  • Hallelujah for Medicare and not having to pay such a big chunk for health insurance.
  • And thanks for all those daily pleasures, kindnesses and serendipities from the sweet antics of my dog, great weather, talking to a friend, having a stranger smile and hold a door for me. So many of these bright spots, some I count on, some that just happen.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:52 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,423,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Well she felt so sorry for me, she gave me a hug and some chocolate!
Ah, the slippery slope to becoming a dirty old man.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 3,350 times
I can go out without make up and not care who sees me. I still get dressed though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement