U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
Reputation: 17897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I believe the poster No kudzu lives in an Epcon community in NC. You might try to DM her to see how she likes it. She is usually on the Gardening forum.

Yes the big senior communities have alot more stuff to do, but in a smaller one, you can do whatever you want in or out of the area and you don't pay those enormous HOA fees.
The size of the community doesn't prevent you from doing what you want in and out of the area.

All places don't have enormous HOA fees. I pay $1.36 a day for rec center fee.

The more amenities the better. What you do at 55, at 70, and at 85 are not always the same things. In a larger 55+ there is always something for everyone no matter their age or interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
 
479 posts, read 399,417 times
Reputation: 2070
Something that is almost as important as the amenities and fees: How far away is the location from places you want to visit regularly? Many over-55 communities that we've investigated seem to be well outside urban and town centers, probably because land closer in was too expensive for the developer to make a profit.

While these communities all offer at least some exercise and recreation facilities, how far away are: good variety of doctors and dentists? well-regarded hospital? grocery, and other stores where you like to shop? Library? Entertainment?

If you have to drive 25-30 minutes to do things the community doesn't offer, that is something to consider. Actually I'm sure you are considering it; just wanted to mention it as it pertains to the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill
12 posts, read 10,856 times
Reputation: 47
Our Epcon Community (Courtyards at Homestead Road) in Chapel Hill, will have 63 homes, will not have golf, will have a clubhouse and pool, exercise room and community garden. There are some restrictions like no parking along the streets but nothing said about no parking in your driveway. But since everyone will have a 2-1/2 car garage, it will be unlikely that people will park in their driveway unless it is a visitor. One of the attractions for us to this particular Epcon community is its in-town location. It is a mile from the closest grocery and gas station, walking distance to a spectacular senior center, 3 miles from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, wonderful public library, and any number of great restaurants, 3 miles from UNC and everything that has to offer, but 1 mile from the interstate (I-40) for quick trips to the airport, 3 hours to the beach or 3 hours to the mountains. What more could you ask for! So far the age of our purchasers is anywhere from mid-50s to mid-70's -- perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 AM
 
30,081 posts, read 47,320,143 times
Reputation: 16023
That does sound like an ideal location--
Often land is too expensive in areas w/similar amenities to make a smaller development viable...
And it shows that the local government values a mix of home types to allow zoning for this development...
I assume it is also close to quality medical care...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyNC View Post
Our Epcon Community (Courtyards at Homestead Road) in Chapel Hill, will have 63 homes, will not have golf, will have a clubhouse and pool, exercise room and community garden. There are some restrictions like no parking along the streets but nothing said about no parking in your driveway. But since everyone will have a 2-1/2 car garage, it will be unlikely that people will park in their driveway unless it is a visitor. One of the attractions for us to this particular Epcon community is its in-town location. It is a mile from the closest grocery and gas station, walking distance to a spectacular senior center, 3 miles from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, wonderful public library, and any number of great restaurants, 3 miles from UNC and everything that has to offer, but 1 mile from the interstate (I-40) for quick trips to the airport, 3 hours to the beach or 3 hours to the mountains. What more could you ask for! So far the age of our purchasers is anywhere from mid-50s to mid-70's -- perfect!
I think you and NoKudzu are neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill
12 posts, read 10,856 times
Reputation: 47
Yes, NoKudzu are neighbors.
Yes, we are very close to two world-renowned medical centers - UNC and Duke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyNC View Post
Yes, NoKudzu are neighbors.
Yes, we are very close to two world-renowned medical centers - UNC and Duke.
Months ago when she was in the deciding stage and we were evaluating future options she shared with me info about the community and I did online research. You made a very good choice. If circumstances were different we if doing things today might well have considered. We are on the other side of Raleigh and 2 hours from our place at the beach. That travel time is a priority for us now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
1,802 posts, read 1,652,666 times
Reputation: 1640
We're leaning toward the Epcon Courtyards at Andrews Chapel near Brier Creek only because it's more centrally located in the Triangle, and we expect to spend time in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. But we've never lived anywhere in NC, so we'd welcome candid comments about the area from folks who've chosen other Triangle Epcon communities or about the Brier Creek area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 AM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're leaning toward the Epcon Courtyards at Andrews Chapel near Brier Creek only because it's more centrally located in the Triangle, and we expect to spend time in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. But we've never lived anywhere in NC, so we'd welcome candid comments about the area from folks who've chosen other areas or about the Brier Creek area.
We love the Triangle and Brier Creek is a great location. Lots of transplants retired and working here. Wilmington can be a great place for transplants to retire to but not so much for working transplants. My son and family got here first and we are glad we followed. The Triangle is a great place to follow family to as even if they leave it is still Bada Bing time. One suggestion if possible be close to the major highways as it makes it easier to navigate around the Triangle. Traffic has gotten much worse and rush hour can be a bear in many areas. However being retired we are day creatures and our rewarded with good traffic patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill
12 posts, read 10,856 times
Reputation: 47
Peggy Maddox at Andrews Chapel was our sales consultant at Courtyards at Homestead Road before she was transferred to Andrews Chapel and we love her! Have you been to see anyone there yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top