U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,650,692 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving into one of these developments, and I wondered if anyone here lives/has lived in an Epcon community or has first hand experience through family or friends?

Interested in your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent. Thanks!

I did find this from last year Does anyone here live in an Epcon COURTYARD community?

Last edited by Midpack; 03-03-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:48 AM

5,937 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Nice looking homes but not much in the way of amenities.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:15 PM

12 posts, read 10,829 times
My husband and I are having a home built in an Epcon community in Chapel Hill, NC - The Courtyards of Chapel Hill. It is a little shy of 2 months into construction, but from everything we can tell they do an excellent job. If I have any complaints about Epcon, it is for the price you pay, they will not do any customization. I have found that a bit frustrating. But then I don't know how that stacks up against other 55+ communities. My husband and I didn't want to live in a mega Del Webb-type community. The Courtyards at Chapel Hill will only be 63 homes when complete. That is a perfect size for us. It will have a clubhouse, pool, fitness center, and community garden. That is all we need.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:37 AM

We're coming to the same conclusion. We don't want a mega 55+ community either, and there are way too many extra cost upgrades on Del Webb homes to us, I can't imagine who would want one of their base homes. We're going to look in mixed age communities or small 55+ communities (like Epcon). Thanks.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:20 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,068,748 times
I believe the poster No kudzu lives in an Epcon community in NC. You might try to DM her to see how she likes it. She is usually on the Gardening forum.

I found a lovely 106 home over 55+ community after searching for years. These are few and far between. Yes the big senior communities have alot more stuff to do, but in a smaller one, you can do whatever you want in or out of the area and you don't pay those enormous HOA fees.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I believe the poster No kudzu lives in an Epcon community in NC. You might try to DM her to see how she likes it. She is usually on the Gardening forum.

I found a lovely 106 home over 55+ community after searching for years. These are few and far between. Yes the big senior communities have alot more stuff to do, but in a smaller one, you can do whatever you want in or out of the area and you don't pay those enormous HOA fees.
From your perspective and research. What seems to be the draw/attraction of small over 55 communities without the amenities. We saw one close by that developed after we transplanted and we have driven through several times and got positive vibes.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:30 PM

8,945 posts, read 7,721,438 times
The bottom line to any "retirement" community is what amenities do they offer and what am I willing to pay for them? Amenities can range from none to multi golf courses. As a golfer, the multi course ones would interest me.

One misunderstanding about golf courses is that in some retirement communities (such as Sun City, Hilton Head, Bluffton SC), the golf courses make money for the HOA. Even if not a golfer there, the golf courses make money for you.

While I do not know much about Epcon, I do believe they are franchises and can vary quite a bit even though under the Epcon name. I also believe there have been some questions if one owns the plot of land ones homes sits on or is it under a long term lease arrangement. Do not quote me. Check for yourself.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The bottom line to any "retirement" community is what amenities do they offer and what am I willing to pay for them? Amenities can range from none to multi golf courses. As a golfer, the multi course ones would interest me.

One misunderstanding about golf courses is that in some retirement communities (such as Sun City, Hilton Head, Bluffton SC), the golf courses make money for the HOA. Even if not a golfer there, the golf courses make money for you.

While I do not know much about Epcon, I do believe they are franchises and can vary quite a bit even though under the Epcon name. I also believe there have been some questions if one owns the plot of land ones homes sits on or is it under a long term lease arrangement. Do not quote me. Check for yourself.
In other communities, the golf courses have to be subsidized by the HOA. Since I am not a golfer, I would be very reluctant to be on the hook for supporting a golf course if its revenue wanes. Anyone buying into a golf course community should make sure they know how all of the finances work.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
In other communities, the golf courses have to be subsidized by the HOA. Since I am not a golfer, I would be very reluctant to be on the hook for supporting a golf course if its revenue wanes. Anyone buying into a golf course community should make sure they know how all of the finances work.
+1. To each has/her own, but we don't want to pay for a golf course either, and I plan to play. We mostly just want lawn/landscape care and common area maintenance. If there's a modest clubhouse with fitness equipment, that's fine too. We can get what we want with or without an HOA. It is nice to know homes won't be purple stripes or dayglo if the Clampett's buy the house next door with an HOA.

We've decided the smaller 55+ communities like Epcon are fine, mostly because similar floor plans appear to be uncommon in mixed gen developments. But the mega 55+'s like Del Webb are a non-starter for us, due to the sheer size, overly cookie cutter exteriors and their everything is an upgrade pricing. YMMV

Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,068,748 times
+2 I agree totally. In my community, all the homes are different and various colors. There is no golf, no fitness equipment but there is a small pool. The HOA is fairly strict and I appreciate that. I do not like neighbors who don't keep up their homes and leave trashy front yards unkept. Here we are not allowed to park in the driveways, although some do anyway. It is gated, and I pay $81 a month, not $250 like some of the larger communities. The only thing I wish is that more people were younger. But saying that, I will be their age soon enough so I cannot complain. Out of all those Sun City areas, none really made me feel that I would want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement