U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,760,259 times

Advertisements

Greeneville TN has a little grocery store on the outskirts of downtown. Plus a wonderful performing arts center, and a historic hotel turned conference center. Greeneville has great "bones" in terms of architecture but not a lot going on. There is a beautiful new community college campus being built right downtown so maybe that will change.

The arts center is a result of philanthropy - not a local demand for culture. I doubt it makes money but it can draw people in from Jonesboro, Johnson city and maybe Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think Fayetteville, Arkansas is also a good choice.
A 1000+ sf house in an area that's not overrun by students, is within walking distance of Fayetteville's vibrant downtown, and is under $200k is not likely to happen.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,894 times
I agree with Greenville, SC. They have done a beautiful job with the downtown and you are at a little higher elevation so it is not as oppressive as some other places. It is being "discovered", though, so prices may have gone up.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
IMHO, this whole walkability craze is fine for millennials but as we age it seems to be unrealistic. I live in what would be considered very walkable/close to stores but I never see anyone walking to them...yes, they go for walks around the neighborhood but nobody's hauling groceries home! I understand the yearning to be less car dependant as we age, but I'd focus on whether an area has good mass transit and senior transportation services instead, which unfortunately aren't great in a lot of areas either.
If I can no longer walk to the grocery store (knock on wood), I can have my groceries delivered. I know the local pharmacy delivers and I'd bet my local hardware store would send someone out to my home to deliver a purchase as well. I can't think of anything that would require me to use mass transit. Perhaps I'd call a taxi if I were too ill to make it to the urgent care center down the street or to the hospital that's about 1 mile away.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
For grocery shopping to carry groceries home, no need to 'lug' them:

Shopping Carts - Mobility - *The Home Depot

For certain parts of my life, for groceries, I used a very large back pack along with a cross-body satchel, with the majority of groceries carried on my back with the very large back pack.

For another part of my life, I used a rolling wire cart like at the link above. Which is what I now use for laundry these days.

I've had my groceries delivered for the current and past 11 years.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-04-2017 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 PM

624 posts, read 708,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Greeneville TN has a little grocery store on the outskirts of downtown. Plus a wonderful performing arts center, and a historic hotel turned conference center. Greeneville has great "bones" in terms of architecture but not a lot going on. There is a beautiful new community college campus being built right downtown so maybe that will change.

The arts center is a result of philanthropy - not a local demand for culture. I doubt it makes money but it can draw people in from Jonesboro, Johnson city and maybe Knoxville.
East Tennessee State University, in Johnson City, is about to begin construction on a performing arts center so that is something to consider. Downtown is undergoing a major renaissance and housing is still affordable so it's worth checking out.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Greeneville is too small and too isolated for me to recommend it to anyone but those wanting a rural lifestyle. It is the nicest town in its immediate area, but that's not saying much.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,942,101 times
I lived in Cleveland TN for a little while and it's not walkable.
My city of Decatur AL might fit the bill if you lived downtown.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
A 1000+ sf house in an area that's not overrun by students, is within walking distance of Fayetteville's vibrant downtown, and is under $200k is not likely to happen.
Might have to make some compromises. The average house price in Fayetteville is $181 K (super low compared to where I'm from(Seattle)) with a median list price of $116/sq ft. So maybe OP might have to compromise a bit but still seems doable.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:04 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OP wants a walkable city in the South? And he's not a Southerner?

I'd recommend a weekend in New Orleans this August. It's walkable, and lots of people live downtown, too!
But he ain't gonna believe how bad he looks after walking 2 miles in August in New Orleans!

Crime? Phooey! Ain't nobody ever bothered me.
haha. I grew up in the Big Easy and yes it is a sweat box. As others have mentioned, Greenville, SC has some elevation and after living there a few years, it's not as bad as lower elevation South and just has a great vibe. About New Orleans crime, yeah I have relatives living there that never had an incident of crime but the numbers still are bad, just reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or