U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 PM

11,970 posts, read 5,106,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err.... You're probably 6 or 7 years too late. You're not going to get walkable south of Nashville for sub-$200K. Prices have at least doubled. I see a 1,825 square foot brick faced ranch in Franklin walkable to the Main street that is in untouched 1976 splendor for $360K. With a new kitchen and a couple of bath remodels, that would be a pretty good location. I prefer salt water and ski areas but if I had to live inland in the south, I'd pick Franklin. It's a really nice town with a great town center and it's very convenient to Nashville and the airport.
I'm not sure why people seem to think the South stops in Tennessee. KY was not officially part of the confederacy but it's traditionally Southern. People have Southern accents, eat great southern food and the culture is far more Southern than anything else. Summer heat is nothing like Mississippi, Florida or Alabama. The state is chock full of lovely cities and towns with historical walkable downtowns at affordable prices.

https://www.visitbardstown.com/
Harrodsburg / Mercer County Tourism Commission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Go to https://www.walkscore.com and explore.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 PM

199 posts, read 386,865 times
Hi, I was in Tucson this last week. Very nice and walkable downtown and university areas. Not sure if you need to be in the SE but I know there are lots of folks in AZ from Chicago and the Midwest so you’d probably fit right in.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Hi, I was in Tucson this last week. Very nice and walkable downtown and university areas. Not sure if you need to be in the SE but I know there are lots of folks in AZ from Chicago and the Midwest so you’d probably fit right in.
I was considering Tucson, from a distance, earlier this year but some of the posters here gave me the impression that it is pretty sleepy, perhaps that's not correct? I've sort of been considering the Las Vegas area instead but that seems to be mostly suburban tracts devoid of community. I ran away from suburbia 40 years ago. I don't need excitement at this age but I do like to go out to dinner at non-chain places & listen to a bit of music now & then.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Tucson is a very unique city that my wife and I have been visiting about once a year the last 5 or 6 years. I grew up there, but haven't lived there for about 30 years. Sure there are the big chain stores and a few tract home developments, but the city is also very diverse and full of art, interesting architecture, historic buildings, and murals throughout a number of neighborhoods. Not only that, but there is excellent hiking and nature trails directly north, west, and east about 20-30 mins drive from downtown. In the burbs not much is happening, but the downtown, Fourth avenue, and university areas (university is home to about 35,000 students) are alive and full of life. A major university in town means lots happening from performances, lectures, and sporting events.

Anyways, this past trip ton of people out day and night, and not just students. Pretty much every place we stopped at for food or drink had a very mixed crowd of old and young. A number of live music venues and lots of outdoor seating for restaurants which we love. We saw crowds around the block lined up for live music shows at the two historic downtown theaters (Rialto and Fox) both Friday and Saturday nights, plus the famous Hotel Congress downtown had music both inside AND on an outside stage. Saturday AM Farmer's Market as going. Definitely not sleepy suburbia.

If you got a place near downtown you may really like it, and could easily get around without a car although a bike would probably be a pretty good way to go. We did use uber a few times though. It is hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat so nights are not stifling and everything is air conditioned. Our Airbnb hosts were an Australian couple that lived all over the world and in several places in the US, but told us they settled in Tucson because of the great weather, arts focused community, and friendly people. My wife and I are seriously considering a place near downtown ourselves. I would definitely check it out.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:10 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Thanks very much for the intel, I think I'll definitely check it out this year. 2 things important to me, besides the usual stuff, is walkability to places of interest & stores & no humidity. I will have to see if I may be able to work around the dry heat.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5yrplan View Post
Hi, as soon as my DS graduates from high school, I will be looking to move out of Illinois due to weather (first and foremost!) Traffic and ridiculous cost of living. I am hoping to continue to work from home for the same company so commute time isn't hugely relevant. I like Atlanta and it's northern suburbs but my price range, under $200k, keeps me out of walkable areas. I live in a suburb of Chicago right now and have to get in my car for Everything! So done with that! I want to be within walking distance of groceries, restaurants, a bookstore, coffee shops. College towns seem to be best but difficult to identify houses in walkable areas that aren't overrun with students or in unsafe areas and still in my price range. I have a long "short list" right now (ATL, Roswell, Athens, Greenville SC, Oxford MS, chattanooga-really love the looks of Chatt but worried about the crime). Would love everyone's thoughts on the above as well as any other suggestions. I'm open to renting but would prefer to buy a townhouse or small house, 1000-1300sf. Most important thing is a vibrant safe downtown (can be quite small) that I can walk to. Decent medical care and continuing education also important. Thanks in advance for your input!
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but check out Clemson/Seneca area as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,018,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err.... You're probably 6 or 7 years too late. You're not going to get walkable south of Nashville for sub-$200K. Prices have at least doubled. I see a 1,825 square foot brick faced ranch in Franklin walkable to the Main street that is in untouched 1976 splendor for $360K. With a new kitchen and a couple of bath remodels, that would be a pretty good location. I prefer salt water and ski areas but if I had to live inland in the south, I'd pick Franklin. It's a really nice town with a great town center and it's very convenient to Nashville and the airport.
I love Franklin, but it is one of the wealthiest small towns in America.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Thanks very much for the intel, I think I'll definitely check it out this year. 2 things important to me, besides the usual stuff, is walkability to places of interest & stores & no humidity. I will have to see if I may be able to work around the dry heat.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the heat myself so if we do buy we'll either snowbird or try to take a month or so vacation each summer. The dry heat to me is easier to deal with than humidity though and the nice thing about AZ is the mountains are close by and San Diego is about a 5-6 hour drive so you can escape it relatively quickly. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:07 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Tucson is a very unique city that my wife and I have been visiting about once a year the last 5 or 6 years. I grew up there, but haven't lived there for about 30 years. Sure there are the big chain stores and a few tract home developments, but the city is also very diverse and full of art, interesting architecture, historic buildings, and murals throughout a number of neighborhoods. Not only that, but there is excellent hiking and nature trails directly north, west, and east about 20-30 mins drive from downtown. In the burbs not much is happening, but the downtown, Fourth avenue, and university areas (university is home to about 35,000 students) are alive and full of life. A major university in town means lots happening from performances, lectures, and sporting events.

Anyways, this past trip ton of people out day and night, and not just students. Pretty much every place we stopped at for food or drink had a very mixed crowd of old and young. A number of live music venues and lots of outdoor seating for restaurants which we love. We saw crowds around the block lined up for live music shows at the two historic downtown theaters (Rialto and Fox) both Friday and Saturday nights, plus the famous Hotel Congress downtown had music both inside AND on an outside stage. Saturday AM Farmer's Market as going. Definitely not sleepy suburbia.

If you got a place near downtown you may really like it, and could easily get around without a car although a bike would probably be a pretty good way to go. We did use uber a few times though. It is hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat so nights are not stifling and everything is air conditioned. Our Airbnb hosts were an Australian couple that lived all over the world and in several places in the US, but told us they settled in Tucson because of the great weather, arts focused community, and friendly people. My wife and I are seriously considering a place near downtown ourselves. I would definitely check it out.
I think Tucson is surrounded by some beautiful mountain ranges. I just think one really has to enjoy the desert to live there. That and the street system, and condition of many roads is horrible. There is no effort to move traffic there. Only the 1 Fwy I-10. Driving is on traffic light congested surface streets. Evidently many residents want it that way. I noticed it really is a students city, with some retirees and military in the mix. Nice town but I can see why it doesn't attract many big employers.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 02-28-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or