U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,047,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I love Franklin, but it is one of the wealthiest small towns in America.
Plus, terrible traffic all over Franklin and the metro. Pretty much the entire Nashville area has gone way up in price. Good for me since my house has gone up in value 2.5x since I bought it in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
This is always a puzzlement to me that people from elsewhere ask about a walkable place in the south.

I wonder if people know how truly oppressive 7 months of the year can be and to be out sweating in it? 95+ temperature and humidity. Daily storms. Walking a couple of beautiful miles to the store or library, carrying bags, and getting drenched in a frog Strangler? There goes your hair even if we aren't out in the rain. There is a reason we a known for and teased about our pony tails and hairspray ��

As a life long southerner who has lived around the world and love my land of birth, I prefer to live near a town with a walkable downtown where I can drive to to center or drive to an outdoor shopping mall. Get out of car, go to bookstores, window shop, library, have lunch or coffee, then pick up groceries and drive home. Then sit on my porch and watch the afternoon rain fall.

So suggest you go to interesting towns on city data and look at pictures to see if it offers you the picturesque excursion you desire, then look for the right home. i could recommend places but it depends upon what you like. Actually, I liked Greenville, SC and would go back if circumstances were right. I love my home north of Orlando but do foresee returning somewhere mid south.

You could say I am not sold on this walk ability concept.
So very true.

I don't live as far south as most so it doesn't get nearly as hot and humid as LA or FL, but the summers do still get fairly hot and uncomfortable.

Tried walking in Vegas heat and can really only do it in the very early morning. As soon as 10am rolls around in the summer it feels like an oven set to broil.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:44 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
Also assuming that ones ability to walk a good distance will continue as we age, which it might not. If you develop arthritis in your hip or knees then walking, although good to some extent, may become limited due to pain or damage.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 590,159 times
If I wasn't following my daughter to Knoxville, I would be going to Athens, GA.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 590,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Wow! I don't know where you live, but the last time I bought a couple of windshield wipers at Auto Zone for a small sedan, I was on my own in the parking lot trying to figure out how to clip them on. You must live in an area with very friendly service!
I am in a northern Atlanta suburb. They were very friendly! Maybe it is because there are so many competitors on the same street.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM

11,881 posts, read 32,912,793 times
Cookeville TN

Cookeville has a thoroughly walkable and very attractive downtown with a supermarket, two farmers' markets, performing arts center, outdoor performing arts center, children's theater, 30+ eateries, children's museum, history museum, train museum, main library, children's library, banks, post office, shops, art galleries, a wonderful park (where an old Walmart used to be) with an all-inclusive children's playground, and all within walking distance of a large, very highly rated hospital. Cookeville has become a very popular retirement area, and for good reason.

For continuing ed, Cookeville is home to a mid-major university (also within walking distance of downtown) and a branch community college campus. All adults in Tennessee can now enjoy free community college tuition.

The countryside around Cookeville is gorgeous with 100 waterfalls and 1,200 miles of shoreline within 40 miles of town. Taxes are very low; a $200,000 house in Cookeville has annual property taxes of $1,700. Outside the city limits it's around $1,300. Car registration is a flat $29/year (no personal property taxes in TN). No state income tax, either.

My 85yo mother moved to Cookeville last year. She lives right downtown, just one block from the courthouse. She walks every morning to the bakery. She's able to walk to the library, her bank, her doctor, the post office, the performing arts center to hear the symphony (both indoors and outdoors, as below), to pay her cable and utility bills (she prefers to pay in person), and to do most of her errands. The farthest she has to drive is 1.5 miles to her church. Her only complaint is that the roads around her house are often closed for various festivals (like shown below) and other events like the Christmas parade, 4th of July parade, high school homecoming parade, and college homecoming parade.

Downtown Cookeville (pics are mine or are used with permission):

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 03-15-2018 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or