U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 PM

1,190 posts, read 663,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Single, 60-yr-old lady would like to retire in 2 years (early social security if it's still there) to the Mid-Atlantic coast (SE PA to...?) on limited income (around 1600-1800 per month), but can purchase a small home, 150-200K, in full. Not looking to be by the water on that price obviously, and not looking for "communities" which are too restrictive for my liking. I prefer the burbs or slightly rural areas as long as I'm not isolated.

I find that I now crave a somewhat moderate climate without long periods of either humidity or freezing temperatures and access to good healthcare and veterinary care. I am a "dog-person" so walking areas are important for their and my exercise. I'm not a big shopper other than the basics and have no need of a social life other than a good bible church. I also would enjoy volunteering with at-risk youth, as I just adore them and have experience in the genre both professionally and on a volunteer basis.

So am I asking the impossible? I currently live in SE PA and the prices of EVERYTHING are becoming just too outrageous; I see the "handwriting on the wall," so to speak. THANKS IN ADVANCE!.
Look into Grass Valley or Nevada City in California. You might have to settle for a condo though but there are many resources and things you need. Cedar Ridge, part of Grass Valley, has a solid bible church called Grace Bible Church. You would like the weather, lots of volunteer opportunities, dog park, trails, and the shopping is good. A Grocery outlet, nice mom & pop stores, JC Pennies, Petsmart, 2-4 movie theaters, excellent healthcare with a hospital in Grass Valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 AM

18,154 posts, read 23,084,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiloo View Post
Actually we didn't feel humid there, we were only there from March until June but it wasnt ANYTHING like Central Florida! Asheville/Hendersonville was our most FAVORITE area and we have been everywhere except the north east.
This reminds me of the people who visit the Portland, OR area where I used to live - I lived a couple hours outside of Portland on the WA side.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and would meet people from that area, or you read their posts here on CD - where they say, "We visited the Portland area in August and it was so warm and sunny! And we loved how green and lush it was! We're selling everything to move there asap."

Translation: Anywhere where it's green and lush in August = rain. Hello. Then you hear their stories a couple years later, where they wish they hadn't sold everything in CA, because they hate the weather in the PNW.

And they ignore all the data that says the Columbia River Gorge experiences severe ice storms during the winter, etc.

We had a saying in western WA to describe the weather:

"Nine months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding".

I've been guilty myself of not heeding the warnings of weather about places I was thinking about moving to. Why do people do this? Because they want to believe the fairy tale that a place they can afford will also have decent weather.

You just really have to look at the actual data. My favorite source, is wunderground.com's historical weather calendars. For instance, here is the one for Asheville, NC. Simply use the backwards and forewards arrows to see the calendars for each month and year, to see what a real month-by-month weather situation is:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...99999#calendar

Wish I'd done this when I decided to move to Redding, CA. I may have still decided to move there, because it was affordable, but at least i would have been expecting the reality of living there, as far as the heat in summer.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,668,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiloo View Post
Asheville is located near the top of the mountains...."Cold" means SNOW and ice. And it means that a few months a year it may be hard to come down "off the mountain" to go to any big city of any size. Charlotte, Greenville, Knoxville
Asheville is also more expensive than many other areas in NC/SC.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,668,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Particularly SC where the cost of living is lower.
SC is also considered a great place to retire because the state is tax-friendly regarding Social Security and pension income.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM

43 posts, read 32,081 times
Weather Spark is another fantastic tool for getting historical weather data.
Humidity, Dew Point, Precipitation, Days of Sunshine and more.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Old 03-08-2017, 03:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
SC is also considered a great place to retire because the state is tax-friendly regarding Social Security and pension income.
SC is much better on pension than many states but it is not entirely tax free on pension income. There are only two or three states that tax any part of SS.

As someone mentioned Asheville NC is more expensive than many other locations. It is kind of a yuppie town.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,710,960 times
High desert New Mexico would be ideal if you could stand to be away from the ocean. Dry, four-season climate with short cool winter and pleasant summer (maybe one 100 degree day in Albuquerque). Humidity is often single digits. COL is low.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,655,069 times
The Carson city/ Gardnerville area near Reno is affordable, good weather and has beautiful scenery. It is greener than you expected for NV.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,614,538 times
[quote=Bygeorge;47410417]To the OP. I think you are really smart to be plotting your future. I would suggest you look carefully at Greenville, SC. It is a conservative, stable environment with a broad range of real estate and also numerous churches that might appeal to you. I do not know how SC looks at taxation of SS. I think GA does not tax it at all but you would be wise to do a search on how different states deal with SS.

I lived in PA and thought it was a great place to live other than cold winters. It is getting expensive everywhere and for folks on fixed incomes it truly can be brutal. I wish you well on your search.

Thanks so much, Bygeorge. I do really want to say on the East Coast, so I appreciate your suggestion.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,614,538 times
Thanks, all, for your help. So much to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or