U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times

Advertisements

I am surprised that developers aren't going to some of thess dying, small towns in the south and envisioning another "Villages" or such community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 PM

7,863 posts, read 10,545,026 times
We too have several friends that live there and I have to believe that part of this is somewhat urban legend. It sounds like the place is Sodom and Gomorrah and I am certain that to a small degree it does exist, but certainly not on a grand scale based upon our friends.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:27 PM

18,636 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just heard Jimmy Buffett is involved in the development of an over 55 community called LatitudeMargaritaville.com. It's in Daytona Beach. What's next? Rolling Stones Retirement Village? Nirvana Nursing Home?

The idea makes me smile.
Actually, I think it's appealing.

Not now, but perhaps later. I like people who enjoy life and celebration. I love warm, laid back areas.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 PM

1,429 posts, read 959,484 times
[quote=adams_aj;47405763]This is SMART BUSINESS, folks. The ranks of retiring baby boomers is swelling by more and more every day. I say, invest in retirement services, health care services, mortuary services, etc. There's a lot of money in the hands of these people and the pile continues to expand as I type this.[/QUOTE

Yes, very true !!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:22 PM

990 posts, read 1,524,597 times
This is the first retirement type community that sounds more like my kind of place, and I'm pretty much a nondrinker.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:46 PM

5,885 posts, read 2,734,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Not sure if you are aware but the population of The Villages, FL is 157,000. That is a huge number of people, and if the majority of them were living the Sodom & Gomorrah lifestyle the Dept. of Health would probably have to close the place down. I know a number of individuals that live in this community, and their biggest complaint is it has become too large and lost it's sense of community.

One can find whatever lifestyle they are looking for in any of these communities. One man who made one visit to The Villages and wrote a book about his ? factual experiences does not define an entire community and all the individuals that live there.

If The Villages was 1/2 the size it is now and located within a relatively short drive to the ocean I would probably already own a home there.
Quite funny that the Villages is also a Republican bastion that voted for none another than Trump !

The Gropers !

Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM

94 posts, read 80,741 times
Sounds like a great idea. You now have to execute it properly.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 AM

2,732 posts, read 720,803 times
I guess it's because I'm not into Jimmy Buffet's music or celebrities, but this is not value added for me just because Jimmy Buffet has some investment interests in the property. Look at all the golf courses/communities named for specific people---are they really different/better? Does it really take Jimmy Buffet to say let's have an outdoor concert venue (which the Villages has already) and let's serve fun tropical drinks?

I've been to a Margaritaville restaurant and wasn't all that impressed. It's since closed (and in a busy metro Atlanta shopping center). Would a retirement community named/focused on one of his songs really be all that unique? He didn't invent the tropical Florida lifestyle---he just sang about it!

And isn't the lifestyle he exudes more Key West-y than Daytona Beach?

Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM

89 posts, read 97,557 times
I hope developers take notice. Many of us late boomers enjoy the casual freedom that Margaritaville symbolizes. Retirement communities seem focused on the country club golf lifestyle. This is a drawback to the communities I've visited so far. As corny as the Margaritaville theme may seem, they're on to something with the 70's generation...freedom from the corporate country club lifestyle.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
Golf is obsolete. I won't move anywhere that taxes me for a golf course.

Brew pubs?....Now that's an idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement