U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM

23,058 posts, read 35,020,344 times

Advertisements

Not as over-the-top idea now that I've taken time to consider it.
Why do all senior communities have to be defined by an air of quiet dignity?
Sex, drugs and rock and roll! Oooh, my hip...

http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/27/1474...ousing-florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 AM

3,943 posts, read 3,259,672 times
It's called, "selling the sizzle" and it has been an overworked ploy in the sales departments of most over fifty five developments. We all grow old, but we don't all feel the same way about it. Some people feel the retirement years should be nothing less than a long overdue vacation, while others see this time as an opportunity to stretch out their interests, further their education, or volunteer to be of service to others. Sometimes though, it seems that we've become a nation of people who need to be entertained morning, noon, and night..

Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not as over-the-top idea now that I've taken time to consider it.
Sex, drugs and rock and roll! Oooh, my hip...
Some of these centers are geared toward the Miracle Whip and Wonderbread folks.
Maybe too many of them.

Now, as so many former '60's kids' are over 60, catering to their world view makes sense.
Well, so long as they can afford to pay the freight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBA...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Margaritaville anyone?-granny-weed-5.jpg  

Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,242,275 times
Jimmy Buffett is a little too mellow for my tastes.

Where's the Woodstock old folks home?

Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 AM

23,058 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

Now we're talking. I like a little windowpane with my beta blocker.
And it ain't all water aerobics, Tai Chi and nine-hole golf out there.

Romance and STD’s: Inside Florida’s wild retirees getaway | New York Post

Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM

75 posts, read 192,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

Where's the Woodstock old folks home?? Here at Laguna Woods Village in Orange County CA (south of LA). Every year for the past 5 or 6 years the Baby Boomers Club has put on a Woodstock Festival in July or August. Typically 600 or 700 people or more show up for multiple bands performing and all the other goodies.

Also, several different clubs sponser monthly dances for couples and singles.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OChomepro View Post
Where's the Woodstock old folks home?? Here at Laguna Woods Village in Orange County CA (south of LA). Every year for the past 5 or 6 years the Baby Boomers Club has put on a Woodstock Festival in July or August. Typically 600 or 700 people or more show up for multiple bands performing and all the other goodies.

Also, several different clubs sponser monthly dances for couples and singles.

LOL! Is that the new, hipper name for Leisure World that we Orange Countians grew up with? I think that was the first senior living place ever.

But how fun to have a Woodstock Festival! That's the retirement village I'd like....

Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM

972 posts, read 603,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
It's called, "selling the sizzle" and it has been an overworked ploy in the sales departments of most over fifty five developments. We all grow old, but we don't all feel the same way about it. Some people feel the retirement years should be nothing less than a long overdue vacation, while others see this time as an opportunity to stretch out their interests, further their education, or volunteer to be of service to others. Sometimes though, it seems that we've become a nation of people who need to be entertained morning, noon, and night..
I don't think the wanting to be entertained all the time fits everyone who relocates to these communities. A physician who I worked with for many years recently retired and his also retired nurse wife are at the tail end of a two month stay at the Villages, FL. Believe me, these are the last two you would find line dancing at the squares every night and neither play golf!! I have spoke with this doctor several times during his Villages stay and asked what he and the Mrs. have been doing, and if this would be a place they would permanently relocate. The Mrs. already had many friends who previously relocated from MA, so she spends a good deal of time with them going out to lunch and day tripping. The doctor who is also a veteran got involved with several veteran's groups as well has met several other retired doctors which he spends time with shooting the breeze and solving all the country's health care woes. The greatest benefit both see in this community is easy access via golf cart to shopping, restaurants, a synagogue, and doctor's offices which they feel could further their years of independence compared to where they live in MA. A number of years back they lived in Naples, FL for 7 years so they are fully familiar with the Florida climate as well as the critters that go along with that which is not an issue for them. And since they have a 5th wheel that has permanent residence in a very nice campground in MA, with the COL in TV much lower than where they are in MA, they can easily own a home in TV as well afford keeping the 5th wheel as a summer escape.

Another work friend soon to be age 62 just put in her retirement papers a few days ago when she reached 30 years of Federal service. At present her husband is in Florida about to purchase a condo at Century City in West Palm Beach. What prompted their decision to purchase this condo has nothing to do with entertainment. Her father and his GF are permanent residents there, and she feels now that her father is in his early 80s she does not have many years of spending time with him left, and living close by him which he and his GF are all for will provide her the opportunity to spend quality time with him and be there for him not if but when his health declines. Interestingly, a Century City condo complex a few over from the complex my friend is purchasing her condo in all the residents are Hasidic Jews. I don't think you will find any of the residents from this complex playing bingo or line dancing, but obviously even within this huge diverse community that offers every type of entertainment you can think of, these individuals are able to maintain their strict orthodox religious lifestyle because if they could not they would not be living there.

So there are many reasons not just entertainment that people relocate to these communities.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Completely untrue.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM

37,096 posts, read 45,613,761 times
Default Margaritaville anyone?

I just heard Jimmy Buffett is involved in the development of an over 55 community called LatitudeMargaritaville.com. It's in Daytona Beach. What's next? Rolling Stones Retirement Village? Nirvana Nursing Home?

The idea makes me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement