Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:48 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,117 times

Advertisements

It sounds like the most pathetic thing in the world -- an old single lady. But is it really?

I was married during my twenties, to Mr. Wrong. What a miserable experience that was! When that (mercifully) ended, I fell in love with Mr. Wrong II, who was not willing or able to marry me and make my life heaven.

I had to do everything for myself -- figure out how to make money, decide where to live, get the car fixed, etc., etc. It was not easy and it was not fun, but we are programmed to survive.

I changed careers, went back to school, lived on very little, saved money. It was all difficult but in some ways rewarding, and nice to know I could survive without any help from anyone. Meanwhile, my mother became disabled and I had that responsibility on top of everything else. And my siblings were just what you'd expect -- no help at all!

So now, I am semi-retired, I have friends and hobbies and interests and it's pretty great having some time for things I love doing. Still seeing Mr. Wrong II, maybe once a week, and he still doesn't help much with anything.

So, sometimes I tell myself -- if I were MARRIED, my rent plus utilities would be only HALF what they are now. And my life would be much EASIER.

So let's just say I convinced Mr. Wrong II, or some other poor sucker, to marry me -- would it be worth it?

My rent + utilities is about $1200/month, and with a husband it would be about $600. $600/month is $5,000/year. That's all I'm really losing, not such a big deal, imo.

And what do I get for that $5,000/year? No one to bicker with. No TV blasting constantly in the background. No one asking me where I'm going and when I'll be back. No one being careless with money and running up the credit cards.

Ok, so what do you think? Is all that worth $5,000/year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 PM

496 posts, read 552,842 times
That - after all you've managed to overcome and achieve - you actually think of yourself as someone who can only aspire to "convince" "some poor sucker," a "Mr. Wrong," to marry you (and even just to stick around), is hard to believe. It says more about you than it does about marriage.

I think my spouse is lucky to have married me, and vice versa. We do a whole lot more for each other than help pay the rent and utilities.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM

703 posts, read 612,526 times
I am the same way only male. Not married. A few Mrs Wrongs along the way but fortunately I found out before we did anything stupid like get married.

What is the big deal about getting married at our age? I do not get it. If the relationship is good enough to keep and you can save some money on it, a reasonable business-like framework can be used to support the otherwise desirable personal relationship. Keep finances separate. Aa far as the bickering and other personal give and take of having to put up with someone... I am against those things myself but others might find them acceptable.

But more directly to your point: Is all that worth 600 bucks a month/ 5000 bucks a year?

NO!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Why would you have to get married if all you need is a roommate?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why would you have to get married if all you need is a roommate?
A roommate would provide the aggravation, but without the love. I think I'll skip that idea.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
That - after all you've managed to overcome and achieve - you actually think of yourself as someone who can only aspire to "convince" "some poor sucker," a "Mr. Wrong," to marry you (and even just to stick around), is hard to believe. It says more about you than it does about marriage.

I think my spouse is lucky to have married me, and vice versa. We do a whole lot more for each other than help pay the rent and utilities.
You take things very seriously.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:17 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
A roommate would provide the aggravation, but without the love. I think I'll skip that idea.
Well don't marry Mr Wrong if you want a loving relationship and not all roommates are aggravating. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Note: If I sound cynical it's because I am -- 20 years of being responsible for my disabled mother taught me that family relationships mean nothing, and when life goes bad you are on your own.

And where was Mr. Wrong while I struggled to survive in misery, with no time for anything but work and chores? Not helping me, that's for sure.

But I try to forget all those bad things. I hate to say it but after my mother died, only a year ago, I have more peace of mind. Even though of course I miss her, and she was a very loving mother. But I don't miss the constant guilt, and being criticized by my siblings who were either nasty or neglectful the whole time.

I try not to think about it, but the result is I probably have not entirely processed all that happened. Please don't advise me to get a therapist. Time is the best medicine.

But I guess I have to admit I am still angry at my sister. She is the most self-righteous arrogant person I know -- well, almost. Had every excuse you can imagine for not helping with our mother.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
single/living alone for a long time, retired for a much shorter time. moved away from family. wouldn't change a thing.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 PM

703 posts, read 612,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
single/living alone for a long time, retired for a much shorter time. moved away from family. wouldn't change a thing.
Ding! Ding!

The closest I have been to family since I retired is about 1200 miles.

I think of them..... often..... Yeah... that's the ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement